Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok

I have a couple of minutes.

Like said above, 5.7 is a gimmick round, like 45GAP and 357 Sig. Unlike the other two, there are a lot of other platforms that fire those rounds, and a lot of people making bullets and accessories for them. You buy into 5.7, you are kind of locked into a bottleneck. If there is a production burp or issue; you're fucked. Which is ok if you're with the stinky creek metro task force; go to the pawn shop and buy something else. When you're NYPD, you forecast in the tens of years. (Imagine just having the contract for mag cases)

There is nothing about 5.7 that makes it a 'must-have' caliber.

This dovetails into the next point: there is nothing about any modern fighting pistol caliber that makes it head and shoulders above another. However, back in the late 80's when I started, there were several calibers that were definitely lacking.

For instance, 9mm. They worked hard on practical applications, but the metallurgy and computer modelling wasn't there yet. As a result, there was a steady stream of failures. Or, people carrying FMJ / ball rounds, and complaining about terminal effects (with, good reason in many applications).

Now, bullet technology has made leaps and bounds. Looking at real-world terminal effects, and tons of various types of testing, a 9mm is now so close to .40 and .45 there's really not a difference that makes any difference (lol)

(In simpler terms, new tech didn't make 9 BETTER than 40/45/10, it brought it UP to where it was an equal, more or less)

When effects are similar enough, then you can ethically look at other petals of the flower, like capacity, platforms, accessories, operation and cost-per-round.

In the first three cases, they are pretty dang similar now, as well. This leaves cost per initial platform purchase, and cost per round of duty and training ammo. Currently, 9mm is a NATO standard round, and it is everywhere, and plentiful, and relatively inexpensive versus say 10mm (or, 5.7).

It is in the pipeline, it is something that has a long history, and the platforms are fairly mature and robust now.

Far as operation, when you are in a small unit, you can diversify. Again, when you are outfitting a 5'6" 95 pound female and a 6'5" 300 pound male, 1100 of them at a time, you have to pick things that work sort of well for the greatest percentile.

This is not just my opinion; people who really balance on the point of the spear, and can have anything they want, are bellwethers for me. Look at Naval special warfare, Marine special operations, and other organic shooter organizations. Lots of Glock 19's. Police agencies? The 17 and 22 fit the same holster, there are probably 17 mags and 9mm ammo already in the pipeline; easy to switch into.

Is it the 'best' handgun round? Depends on what best is? Best for an Olympic shooter is different than best for a person detailed to carry a firearm, that you don't invest a lot of training time or money into, or want a lot of disuniformity in firearm choices.

I switched back to 9 for (dirtbag security guard) duty carry. I can carry literally anything I want here. I don't feel undergunned with current platforms or caliber. If I thought I was going to get in a shootout tomorrow, I wouldn't be ratcheting up my pistol, either (except maybe making sure I was carrying a fullsize and more magazines). I'd be in plates and a carbine.
View Quote
I'd like to know what magic is being used on the 9mm that is not on other calibers? 1980's it was deemed $hit round now its the best round as technology has made it better then the 40 or 45. So has no one applied that technology to these bullets yet?

Watched the FBI testing and it seemed like so much smoke being blown up my @ss that you could call it smoked pork butt!

Can't talk about how technology has made the bullet expand more and the powder is better and so on. All these things can be applied to the 40 and 45 can't they? You would think unless we now have magic people who said they will only load 9mm!

Again no flame on anyone who carries the 9mm! I guess I don't understand how technology only improves one caliber and it makes that 116-year-old caliber top bullet! Yet it has nothing to do with cost or officers who are not shooters or that are female qualify!

No flame on the ladies I have meet many they could outshoot me with a large caliber pistol! Yet really most a vast majority of female officers I worked with and trained with could not shoot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The same bullet developments have been applied to other calibers. Defensive loads are better now than they ever have been. Compare the same load in .45 and in 9mm, yes the .45 has a theoretical advantage. What the .45 doesn't have compared to the 9 mm is small framed pistols in a caliber that's easily controllable by the majority of shooters and high capacity added in. When you add in lower ammo cost, it's logical that departments would choose the 9mm.

The 9 mm was never a bad choice. The FBI has just rediscovered what everyone else already knew.....the 9 mm is still a viable round.

The FBI based their dislike of the 9mm on one shooting. The FBI doesn't exactly shoot many people. If you don't have many shootings, you tend to base things on the very few shootings that you have.

The .40 is a great round. But, cops aren't all 6' tall linebackers any more. Agree or disagree with that, it still means you have to work with the people you have. That means lighter recoiling calibers are important for departments.

By the way, did you notice I didn't use a single exclamation point in my entire post? Do you use that many in your official reports?
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'd like to know what magic is being used on the 9mm that is not on other calibers? 1980's it was deemed $hit round now its the best round as technology has made it better then the 40 or 45. So has no one applied that technology to these bullets yet?

Watched the FBI testing and it seemed like so much smoke being blown up my @ss that you could call it smoked pork butt!

Can't talk about how technology has made the bullet expand more and the powder is better and so on. All these things can be applied to the 40 and 45 can't they? You would think unless we now have magic people who said they will only load 9mm!

Again no flame on anyone who carries the 9mm! I guess I don't understand how technology only improves one caliber and it makes that 116-year-old caliber top bullet! Yet it has nothing to do with cost or officers who are not shooters or that are female qualify!

No flame on the ladies I have meet many they could outshoot me with a large caliber pistol! Yet really most a vast majority of female officers I worked with and trained with could not shoot.
View Quote
Get out of my car, kid
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Get out of my car, kid
View Quote
Kid!!!?? I have killed more people in combat then you!

So, please tell me your experience!
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I've drunk more beer and banged more quiff and pissed more blood and stomped more ass than all of you numbnuts put together.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok I'm done here.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
And now the crazy train is off the rails.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Combat"?  Were any with 5.7?

You also have been at more agencies than Galls sales rep.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok I'm done here.
View Quote
What? It just got good.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 2:35:23 AM EDT
[#11]
In 1990, the standard load was either 115gr or 147gr, thats about it... Some agencies even carried 115gr ball ammo up into the late 90’s...

The common duty round these days is a 124 or 127 HP rated at +P+. A significant jump from the old crap.

The simple fact is 9mm is a capable round, its easy to shoot, and the pistols carry a large number of rounds. Training is minimal to get people to an acceptable level, and even less to maintain it.

Is a 10mm a better round? Sure, But so are several other rounds. But 75% of the offers or agents arent going to be able to qualify with it. The Federal Air Marshals carry the 357sig, and as an agency, they are also the best shooters in law enforcement. Its not because they are all 6’ line backers, its because they spend enough time training on the range to become that good. Most agencies dont devote that much time to firearms training. If they all did, then everyone would be carrying a 10mm...
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 2:54:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get out of my car, kid

*than

Kids these days can't spell... or choose the wrong frigging word because they don't know any better.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:03:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Federal Air Marshals carry the 357sig, and as an agency, they are also the best shooters in law enforcement. Its not because they are all 6' line backers, its because they spend enough time training on the range to become that good. Most agencies dont devote that much time to firearms training. If they all did, then everyone would be carrying a 10mm...
View Quote
That, and they had an interesting birthing, and a lot of help creating their initial training policy. Then the mass hirings happened...
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The FBI probably handles thousands of investigations a year.  How could you possibly know if they are or are not good at investigating?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FBI isn't very good at investigating. I'm not sure they ever were. What they are good at is data collection and they have a huge budget for research. Their research into handgun bullet performance is excellent. I don't agree 100% with their conclusions but their data gathering and bullet performance testing is superb. Way better than any local department is capable of doing.
The FBI probably handles thousands of investigations a year.  How could you possibly know if they are or are not good at investigating?
Hitlery Cliton, now back to you caliber debate
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#15]
-edit- wrong topic..
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#17]
5.7?  Really?  How many different pistols are available in this wonder round?  That alone should tell you what you need to know about it.

Defenders of the 5.7 as a mankiller, make me wonder if they have a shotgun loaded with flechette rounds.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#18]
This topic has been beaten repeatedly lately.

9mm is cheaper, recoils less, the same sized magazines hold more rounds in 9mm.

A P226 can hold 15 rounds in .40 or 20 rounds in 9mm. I'll take 9mm anyday.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tayous1 thread though, just can’t believe his embellishments.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or anything he says for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#21]
We switched from the Sig 220 to the Glock 17/19/26 depending on your position in the agency.  Up until the switch we were allowed to carry personal weapons which I did and it wasn’t the Sig.  once I saw the writing in the wall I started to carry a Glock that I had acquired.  I’m not a Glock fan but their rules so I carry what they tell me.  Anyways cost and the amount of ammunition you could carry was the two biggest driving factors.  We carry the G2 ammunition and we recently had a OIS shooting and the round did as designed.  The county to the Southwest of me had their bailifs and SRO’s carrying the 5.7 and it didn’t last long.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We switched from the Sig 220 to the Glock 17/19/26 depending on your position in the agency.  Up until the switch we were allowed to carry personal weapons which I did and it wasn’t the Sig.  once I saw the writing in the wall I started to carry a Glock that I had acquired.  I’m not a Glock fan but their rules so I carry what they tell me.  Anyways cost and the amount of ammunition you could carry was the two biggest driving factors.  We carry the G2 ammunition and we recently had a OIS shooting and the round did as designed.  The county to the Southwest of me had their bailifs and SRO’s carrying the 5.7 and it didn’t last long.
View Quote
What in the world?  
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:17:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What in the world?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The county to the Southwest of me had their bailifs and SRO's carrying the 5.7 and it didn't last long.
What in the world?  
Probably kind of what OP was actually talking about: somebody not a shooter read a magazine, believed the hype, had too much discretionary funds, and said, 'GO BUY THIS SHIT!'

One transition class and requal later... the 9's started trickling back in and those things started showing up at the local gun store... lol
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:42:52 AM EDT
[#24]
The real reason for the transition is that the .40 cal was simply too stout a round for the 9mm frame, and as a result,
the guns themselves were beginning to fall apart. Officers have to shoot a lot of rounds to stay proficient. That became
an issue when their duty weapons started going to pieces.

9mm reliably lasted well into the high round count without exibiting the same frame/slide damage. That, and that alone,
was the biggest contributing factor in switching back to the 9mm.

For what it's worth, in it's day, the .357 Magnum 125 gr SJHP had probably the best stopping power of any handgun round
in the 80s and 90s. The original Marshall/Sanow reports reflected that. But high capacity, and the muzzle flash of a .357
took it down. The .357 sig was an extension of this development. In order for the .357 to do what it should, it had to be
travelling at around 1350-1400 FPS. 9mm, being pretty much the same caliber, has yet to achieve those velocities in a handgun.

If it did, it would blow a 9mm frame to bits after a little while.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:08:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Statistics show that all handgun rounds suck, just about equally...

That said, you get the "Mah .45 will never be less than .45 and it's been proven since 1911"

You get the "Mah 9 will load on Monday and shoot until Sunday - It's what the .GOV issues"

And the people in the middle who say that "mah .40 is bigger than a lil ol' 9mm and holds nearly twice more than .45 guns - it's the best of both worlds"...

All are 3rd rate compared to a rifle or shotgun, but give yourself the mental boost that whatever you choose is 'The Best" "

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
This.

Shoot what you like and what you will make hits with.

This whole 9mm/.40/.45 is the best thing is pedantic.

Handguns suck compared to rifles at everything besides being easy to carry.

I use 9mm because it's what I can make solid hits, quickly with.  I could train myself into doing the same with .40 or .45... but statistics don't say the difference is enough to justify the cost of that, and I lose capacity and increase difficulty in making hits... and in the case of .45, I have to deal with a bigger gun that has less rounds in the mag.

But if you shoot better with a .40 or .45, use that round.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, the trend towards 9mm is going to cost me a few thousand dollars since there's a glut of police trade ins.

We were due to change out our duty weapons this year (they're only ten years old but instead of replacing night sights, springs, mags, I was told just get new guns) but I was told to wait till next year's budget.  
Got a new quote and they're only giving us $200/gun instead of $250/gun because of agencies in my area dumping their guns and going back to 9mm.

We debated switching to 9mm but decided to stick with what we have.  We usually stick with a gun for awhile but we had the recalled Glock 22s and crappy night sights that failed early.

1951-198x ??? .38/.357
1981-199x S&W 686 in 357mag
199x-2002 S&W 4046 in .40 (This is what I started with, this thing was a beast!)
2002-2008 gen3 Glock 22 in .40
2008-2019 gen3 Glock 31 in 357sig
2019-2023 gen4 Glock 31, I only say 2023 since that's when I'm due to retire and who knows what they will switch to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What in the world?  
View Quote
Check your PM.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Check your PM.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've drunk more beer and banged more quiff and pissed more blood and stomped more ass than all of you numbnuts put together.
View Quote
Gunny Highway!
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#31]
My agency is going back to 9mm.  Thank God.  They want a new weapon developed though that meets all the requirements the agency came up with.   I had some input as a firearms Instructor.

New CBP gun requirements
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Would your department have said that in the 1980's?

If they have changed since then gone to the 40 now 9mm! They are FBI fans!
View Quote
We switched from .40 to 9mm last year.  We switched due to higher magazine capacity, cheaper ammo, and the possibility of an issued G43 backup (our narcotics unit already carries the G43 so ammunition commonality was also a consideration).  The FBIs opinion wasn't a factor.

All pistol calibers are a compromise compared to a rifle or shotgun, and 5.7 is a bigger compromise than most.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I hope we switch to 9mm one day but my agency has alot of guns to swap out at once and is severely underfunded already.

I can’t Forsee a move away from Glock 22s anytime soon, unless There is a significant advancement in firearms.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Something about average accuracy scores were lower with the 40's and the advancement in defensive rounds made the 9mm just as good or good enough.  I'm sure the ammo being cheaper helped also.
View Quote
That's because of the snappier, heavier recoil of .40 caliber cartridges.

[color=#ff0000]So, you're claiming that advancement in defensive rounds makes the 9mm just as effective as .45 ACP and 10mm rounds using the same advancement[/color]???? I call that BS. As an example, my EDC rounds are 10mm Underwood 140 gr Xtreme Penetrator rounds = 1500 fps/700 ft. lbs energy v.  Underwood 115 gr 9mm+P Xtreme Defender Penetrator rds = 1250 fps/400 ft lbs energy. For .45ACP comparison, .45 ACP +P 120 gr Xtreme Defender has 1420 fps/527 ft lbs.   All of that aside, I see nothing wrong with those that carry a 9mm as their defensive pistol cartridge. But, the ballistics clearly and definitively indicate that 9mm is not the equivalent of 10mm or even .45 ACP as far as effectiveness. There is no guarantee that any pistol caliber short of .41 magnum will be sufficient to stop humans, but, I've accepted 10mm as the best compromise for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#36]
When USBP went to the .40 they also went with the TQ-15 target which had a bigger 5 ring and shot only to 25 yards.  The old patrol shot .357s to 50 yards on a Transtar target with a smaller 5 ring.

I can see better scores on the TQ-15 with a 9mm because it has a generous 5 ring but not because agents have become better shooters.  I have seen females shoot expert scores with plenty of practice on their part with the .40 so it has nothing to do with the "weaker sex" not being able to shoot.   It's all about plenty of practice and dedication to becoming proficient.

I will say that the HK P2000 with the LEM trigger shot better than the Beretta 96D  at least it did for me.  However those P2000s have taken a pounding with the .40 for those that shot the hell out of it and not the ones that were only fired 4 times a year for less than 300 rounds.

I've always been surprised how some people were perfectly happy to get by with a minimal score rather than spend time and effort to get proficient with a skill that would not only save their lives but others as well.

Anyhoo whatever you carry, make sure you practice, practice and practice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:53:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I never left 9mm. Been 9mm since the 80s.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When USBP went to the .40 they also went with the TQ-15 target which had a bigger 5 ring and shot only to 25 yards.  The old patrol shot .357s to 50 yards on a Transtar target with a smaller 5 ring.

I can see better scores on the TQ-15 with a 9mm because it has a generous 5 ring but not because agents have become better shooters.  I have seen females shoot expert scores with plenty of practice on their part with the .40 so it has nothing to do with the "weaker sex" not being able to shoot.   It's all about plenty of practice and dedication to becoming proficient.

I will say that the HK P2000 with the LEM trigger shot better than the Beretta 96D  at least it did for me.  However those P2000s have taken a pounding with the .40 for those that shot the hell out of it and not the ones that were only fired 4 times a year for less than 300 rounds.

I've always been surprised how some people were perfectly happy to get by with a minimal score rather than spend time and effort to get proficient with a skill that would not only save their lives but others as well.

Anyhoo whatever you carry, make sure you practice, practice and practice.
View Quote
Still prefer the legacy USCS Glock 17s!  ;)
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The FBI has no credibility.  Fools rush in.
View Quote
With many things the Bureau does I completely agree with that statement, but I can attest that their ballistics testing and evaluation folks are Johnny on the spot when it comes to evaluating ammo.  They truly do excel in that department.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#40]
The 7 elements of marksmanship do not change based on caliber.

If you suck with a .45 you will still suck with a 9mm however you will likely be able to get back on target faster with a 9mm or the gun may fit your hand better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I think it has a lot more to do with the FBI testing changing people's minds about the effectiveness of 9mm.

A lot of people before the advent of more modern ammunition believed that the larger calibers were better, and there might have been something to that, maybe not.

That being said, when someone isn't well read on ballistics or ammunition and able to come to that conclusion before the FBI....when the FBI vouches for a caliber or ammunition....it's a pretty solid conclusion.  The FBI has more experience with shooting people, it has more money to do tests, and it has valid reasons for the caliber and ammunition it selects.

Is there better ammo?  Maybe.  Are there better calibers?  Maybe.  But "better" is subjective once certain on target effects are excluded.  If 9mm satisfies the test criteria, who is to say that the trade-offs inherent to the other calibers aren't another argument in favor of 9mm?

What I don't get is the anger towards 9mm.  If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to use it.  So why does everyone who doesn't like 9mm get so uppity when there's such a wide selection available to them?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#42]
The FBI  doesn't shoot many people at all. That is probably why they got all spastic after the Miami shooting.

The FBI is NOT a very good investigative agency. They have some very smart and competent agents but as a whole, they were very affected by affirmative action and a large portion of their agents are incompetent.

The FBI IS very good at research and testing. I don't agree with all of their conclusions but their testing methodology is excellent and methodical. I've always laughed at agencies who insisted on testing ammo for themselves. Most agencies tests are hideously unscientific. Absolutely no reason to try to replicate the FBI's testing. Just use their data to pick your ammo. They spend gobs of money researching and testing duty loads and will supply the data to state and local LE at no cost.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Unsure of what point you are trying to make.

The 9BPLE round has an excellent track record in real life shootings and has been around for a very long time.  It doesn't meet the FBI specs but does work very well in real life.  There are even better rounds available now.
View Quote
As someone who carried the 9BPLE, I can tell you it is hopelessly outdated and archaic.  First of  +P+ is not a true SAAMI designation. It was made up to sell ammo to fools. Secondly, the Ogive on the 9BPLE is more of a FMJ with a tiny hollow point. It has a 115 Gr. bullet so it was moving pretty fast, when it hits flesh, it clogs easy and acts like...... an FMJ.  Neat little holes is not what you want. A buddy of mine shot up a turd once, all he managed to do was literally blow one of the guy's balls off, he lived another day to try and sue.   You want to carry a 9MM round? Carry something close to a Speer Gold Dot 124Gr.. +P.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As someone who carried the 9BPLE, I can tell you it is hopelessly outdated and archaic.  First of  +P+ is not a true SAAMI designation. It was made up to sell ammo to fools. Secondly, the Ogive on the 9BPLE is more of a FMJ with a tiny hollow point. It has a 115 Gr. bullet so it was moving pretty fast, when it hits flesh, it clogs easy and acts like...... an FMJ.  Neat little holes is not what you want. A buddy of mine shot up a turd once, all he managed to do was literally blow one of the guy's balls off, he lived another day to try and sue.   You want to carry a 9MM round? Carry something close to a Speer Gold Dot 124Gr.. +P.
View Quote
None fatal hits are non fatal hits. My department officers shot a guy not long ago with our current 147 grain Winchester Ranger T. Guy was walking and talking when loaded into the ambulance and made a full recovery.

The best load out there doesn't magically kill people. One incident doesn't prove anything....even though that's what the FBI did post Miami shootout.

The 9BPLE has an excellent track record. Yes there are better rounds out there now that perform under a wider range of conditions. But, torso shots with 9BPLE are highly effective (as effective as anything currently sold) and there is plenty of proof of it.

There's nothing wrong with the 124 Gold Dot. But, it doesn't have magical performance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What in the world?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What in the world?  
PCSO, back about 10 years ago?

I know a nearby very small agency based around a single venue, whose supervision *almost* decided to switch from .40 to .357 SIG...for enhanced penetration...issuing to officers whose jurisdiction consists almost exclusively of densely packed residential housing.  Luckily that was reconsidered...

Anyone still aware of any agencies allowing SAO 1911s, out of curiosity?  Completely unheard of around here...

The decision here was made to stick with .40....and apparently a large part of that reasoning was because of the cost of new holsters.  Guns are practically free these days to departments, it would seem, but no one is taking trade-in holsters and offering 1 for 1 deals on new models, for some odd reason...
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I know a nearby very small agency based around a single venue, whose supervision *almost* decided to switch from .40 to .357 SIG...for enhanced penetration...issuing to officers whose jurisdiction consists almost exclusively of densely packed residential housing.  Luckily that was reconsidered...

Anyone still aware of any agencies allowing SAO 1911s, out of curiosity?  Completely unheard of around here...

The decision here was made to stick with .40....and apparently a large part of that reasoning was because of the cost of new holsters.  Guns are practically free these days to departments, it would seem, but no one is taking trade-in holsters and offering 1 for 1 deals on new models, for some odd reason...
View Quote
Lake County (Florida) SWAT carries 1911s.  They're Kimbers IIRC.

My agency bans single-action pistols, even for off-duty guns.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are still many agencies in Alabama that allow carry of single action pistols.  I've been carrying a single action for the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#50]
9mm has always been the superior round, even when ball was the only choice.

Handguns are notoriously poor at stopping people, so the one that gives the most chances and is easiest to shoot while still maintaining 12-18" of penetration is going to be best.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top