Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2003 4:34:03 AM EDT
VTL.

I am a former LEO, not of this state NJ. I moved to a "old" (read that established) area where there are long settled town police and volunteer fireman. There are NO sidewalks here, all who walk are forced to walk near where a curb would be, but still in the streets. There are plenty of children under 12 that play in the streets. The speed limit is 25MPH. Too many of the locals speed here, but the most flagrant offenders are the LEOs who ARE not whisking off to a "JOB" in lights or otherwise. If you are walking, as in dog walking, they (racing to where???) are scary encounters especially at night even with all of our flashlights and reflective gear.

My question is - how do I approach these people? I can easily go to the town meeting and make my complaint, looking not to go there if you know what I mean. I need a solution, it is a matter of time before someone is hurt or killed.

TIA
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Anonymous compliant from a pay phone?  Be polite and give the general are that you see this in.  Also, stress you don't want to file a real complaint, and that you don't want to see anyone in trouble, but that might be your next step.  Some Sgt. will hopefully talk to his people, and they will get the message.  Request radar be run in your area for everyone else.  

Also, I don't know how often you are seeing this, if its just once in a while, they could be responding to an alarm.  We shut our stuff down when we get close, but are required to do it safely.

(I've been wrong before).
Art in KY
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anonymous compliant from a pay phone?  Be polite and give the general are that you see this in.  Also, stress you don't want to file a real complaint, and that you don't want to see anyone in trouble, but that might be your next step.  Some Sgt. will hopefully talk to his people, and they will get the message.  Request radar be run in your area for everyone else.  

Also, I don't know how often you are seeing this, if its just once in a while, they could be responding to an alarm.  We shut our stuff down when we get close, but are required to do it safely.

(I've been wrong before).
Art in KY

They are 20+ yr. residents of area, radar board was put on block ONE day from an other complaint - NO JOY with that one. There's a Gold Shield, one probie, one volunteer living on the same block and one female PO who's dating one of them. Anyone related to them, as eveidenced by different driver same vehicle, do 40+ regularly to and from their residence, just don't see it as a "respond to" call.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
An anonymous faxed letter to the chief's attention. Second letter to the mayor. Use a third party's machine.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
If you really think that this is a serious problem, send a certified letter the the Sheriff of the County and the District/Area Commander of the State Police/Trooper.  Include specific information, time of day, vehicle description, location of incident, etc.  I have been "dimed out" for speeding in my Patrol vehcle before but when your wrong...your wrong.

Bottom line, the law applies to all of us...if you sit back and be quiet...and something horrible takes place...then what.

I personally know Cops that have been pulled over by other Cops for speeding.  Bottom line...if they won't respond and Police themselves, let someone know.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#5]
One additional thing.  You are more likely to get results if you get the specific violator narrowed down.
Get the make, model, license plate, or officer description, or CAR # for your complaint.  Generalized complaints are often times dismissed.  Plus if that officer has had previous warnings about unnecessary speed, it will more likely be handled more efficiently the next time.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Town Board meeting. Bring up the safety aspect of the issue. If its a state highway that runs through town, bring it up to DOT.See if its possible to get sidewalks installed. Write letters to the paper. I guess beyond that, it will take a death or serious injury (as it often does) to get any action taken. You will have done your part.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#7]
As a VERY VERY VERY last coice after all else has failed you could contact whatever passes for the local media. They absolutly LOVE to trash cops for virtually any reason. I really hate to see this kind of crap on the news but, it sounds like its a legitimate safety issue and if you have tried absolutly every reasonable alternative then its your only choice.

If the phone calls, letters, faxes to the police command structure fail. Dont, forget to TALK to the people in question and appeal to their reasonable nature to get them to stop. If that doesnt work they deserve whatever they get.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I thank you all for providing me clarity. "Be safe out there."

Lion_dog
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Check the actual speed limit on the street.  I had a one week business trip to Jersey turn into a 3 month assignment.  I was rather surprised to find what would be 25 mph residential streets had 50 mph limits in several places.

that said, unsafe speeding is unsafe speeding.  Sloopy habits are sloppy habits, a suit against the town is not desirable.  Came close to getting hit by a local officer responding to a call coming around a corner at Code speeds by no lights or siren holding the wheel with his left hand and draped his right over the right seat.  (Yeah he came close enough to definitely see it.)  Less than a foot, if I had been on the line he would have got me when his rear-end slid over the centerline by 2 feet. My Dad was LEO for 34 years, taught Drivers Ed, Traffic School and Mature Driver Improvement, so bad driving was a real point with him, especially when it caused a hit on an already slim budget.  (Turns out he was responding to what turned out to be the murder by fire of a former co-worker and his wife by their son.  He bludgeoned them, locked them in the trunk of the car and torched it.)
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Check the actual speed limit on the street.  I had a one week business trip to Jersey turn into a 3 month assignment.  I was rather surprised to find what would be 25 mph residential streets had 50 mph limits in several places.

that said, unsafe speeding is unsafe speeding.  Sloopy habits are sloppy habits, a suit against the town is not desirable.  Came close to getting hit by a local officer responding to a call coming around a corner at Code speeds by no lights or siren holding the wheel with his left hand and draped his right over the right seat.  (Yeah he came close enough to definitely see it.)  Less than a foot, if I had been on the line he would have got me when his rear-end slid over the centerline by 2 feet. My Dad was LEO for 34 years, taught Drivers Ed, Traffic School and Mature Driver Improvement, so bad driving was a real point with him, especially when it caused a hit on an already slim budget.  (Turns out he was responding to what turned out to be the murder by fire of a former co-worker and his wife by their son.  He bludgeoned them, locked them in the trunk of the car and torched it.)

25 MPH in all areas unless maked. BTW it is marked 25 MPH and Children Playing. These people, LEO and NON, all know WTF they are doing - most of the neighbors with kids yell or motion to slow down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top