Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2017 11:42:01 AM EDT
had a contract question.

I got hired on with a local pd in november 2016.  I started actually working for the dept in may 2017. I'm in the state police academy as we speak. This week the city gives the cadets a contract to sign basically stating we will be with the dept for at least a year starting from when we go on probation, which will be soon. If we terminate our employment before that year, we will pay back costs associated with uniforms, training academy tuition etc...in addition to this, we will pay back our salary as well.

I was okay with everything up until us having to pay back our salary.

What are yalls thoughts on this? I feel like we worked for that pay so we shouldn't have to pay back the salary. Like I said, I understand having to pay back the costs for the uniforms and because they are paying for our state academy tuition I understand the need to recoup that too. I'm just unsure about the salary they want back.

I'm obviously not going to cause trouble and not sign it or anything like that. The dept has been good to me so far. I just don't know why they waited so long to give us a contract to sign AND the clause about repaying salary.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems unreasonable but we all have to give up our rights or mow lawns or own our own company

You have a 'choice' to not sign and apply to another department (which will reject you out of hand for being flaky and has many similar candidates)
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You put in the TIME to earn your salary.  That should be non-negotiable and not have to be refunded.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You put in the TIME to earn your salary.  That should be non-negotiable and not have to be refunded.
View Quote
Right...that's what I was thinking as well.

I'm not sure how to handle it....
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you really working for the department or are you in training?  You used the terms cadet and probation.  If you are in training the department may consider that part of your schooling.  At least you're getting paid.  When my wife was in nursing school she spent a semester working in a hospital (rotating through the departments) and not only didn't get paid but had to pay the full semester's tuition while only attending an hour a week "review" session with her facility counselor.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Sign it. Put in the year. Then consider your options. They put you through your training and paid you to do it. Not many places will do that. They expect a return on their investment, and rightfully so.

As already mentioned. If you flake out now, no department is going to trust you. Put in your time then after your obligations are fulfilled, then move on. Not only do you not have to worry about paying anyone anything, you look better to anywhere else you apply to. No one likes a fair weather applicant.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are you really working for the department or are you in training?  You used the terms cadet and probation.  If you are in training the department may consider that part of your schooling.  At least you're getting paid.  When my wife was in nursing school she spent a semester working in a hospital (rotating through the departments) and not only didn't get paid but had to pay the full semester's tuition while only attending an hour a week "review" session with her facility counselor.
View Quote
Yes, I am actually working for the dept. We wear the dept uniform (minus the badge) to the academy. Our probation hasn't started yet. It'll start when we graduate the academy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sign it. Put in the year. Then consider your options. They put you through your training and paid you to do it. Not many places will do that. They expect a return on their investment, and rightfully so.

As already mentioned. If you flake out now, no department is going to trust you. Put in your time then after your obligations are fulfilled, then move on. Not only do you not have to worry about paying anyone anything, you look better to anywhere else you apply to. No one likes a fair weather applicant.
View Quote
I have no real intention on not signing it. The only part that doesn't sit well with me is the contract saying we will pay them back the salary we earned from when we started. I appreciate all the replies. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have no real intention on not signing it. The only part that doesn't sit well with me is the contract saying we will pay them back the salary we earned from when we started. I appreciate all the replies. Thanks
View Quote
I’d contact an employment lawyer. Pretty sure that contract would run afoul of several state and federal labor laws in reference to paying back your employment income. 
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]
It's 3 years locally but don't have to pay back salary.

Just put in the time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Our is a year if we put you through the academy but its only for uniform, equipment and cost of the academy. If we hire you and you have already had the academy etc its nothing (or maybe cost of uniform/equipment). Can't remember it ever being enforced in 23 years though and we have had people that fit the criteria.

Shouldn't really be an issue unless you are "just trying" LE out and not sure if you're gonna like it.

J-
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't believe they could actually force you to pay back your wages.  Your contact doesn't trump labor laws.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, I am actually working for the dept. We wear the dept uniform (minus the badge) to the academy. Our probation hasn't started yet. It'll start when we graduate the academy.
View Quote
Does sound odd to me also. Just make sure this is a department you want to work for in Texas if you do your year and leave there are not to many good paying departments in Texas that will make you do the whole 8 or 9 months of training all over again!

Just about every major city will make you do it San Antonio, Austin, Houston and Dallas I know for a fact they will make you go through training again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#13]
If you aren't quitting the job soon whats the problem?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you aren't quitting the job soon whats the problem?
View Quote
You're right, I don't plan on quitting the job soon. I just don't like that clause in there. I could think of a few scenarios where I might have to quit....I'm just saying if I had to, I don't want to have to pay back all the salary that I've earned. I'll keep yall updated. They haven't asked for the contracts back yet but I think they want them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#15]
They've made an investment in your training; they want to recoup some of those costs should you choose to go elsewhere.
Some of the local agencies stipulate that if they send you through the basic school, you'll work for them at least a couple of years
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I have heard of agencies requiring payback of training costs but never heard having to pay back your salary.  Reeks of desperation to me and is a poor idea for retention purposes.  Trying to "make" officers stay is counterproductive.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#17]
We have a thing that new hires in the jail sign saying they have to stay 3 years or pay back all training costs.  Road guys have to sign it to when they transfer from the jail.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have heard of agencies requiring payback of training costs but never heard having to pay back your salary. Reeks of desperation to me and is a poor idea for retention purposes.
View Quote
Yeah that would be a huge red flag for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top