Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2017 3:38:22 PM EDT
Came down nearly a month late from above (imagine that) but Uncle Sam is looking for volunteers for relief work in PR under FEMA. (I'm a Federal Employee working for DoD/Army) Really, the only thing we were provided with was an application with boxes on the back for you to mark down the years experience in the skills listed. (ours would be Logistics/transport/maintenance/...)

Any arfcommers doing this?
If so, any advise?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I am currently in Puerto Rico deployed with the National Guard. I have been on the ground for a little over a week.

Try to make sure your organization has a hotel room for you at a hotel with a back up generator. The electricity is still spotty in San Juan and close to non existent every where else with the exception of generators. You will want the A/C at night since it’s the rainy season right now and runs about 87 degrees each day with between 70% to 80% humidity.

There are a lot of restaurants open, not all but plenty to live off of. I’ve had meals out of food trucks, hotel restaurants, MRE’s, or even what we refer to as the FEMA 5 a 5$ meal at the San Juan convention center available for breakfast and lunch.

Bring some cash, not a lot of banks are open, the ATM’s sometimes run out and some businesses will only accept cash. The hotels have all accepted credit cards so far and about half of the resturaunts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I forgot to mention yourorgsnization needs to secure your room because space is limited and the reservation almost need to be done face to face with the hotel manager. Calling the front desk typically won’t get you anywhere.

All the hotels near the command in San Juan are booked at least till the end of the month and some much further out.

I don’t know what your plans for length of stay are but I will tell you the military is expecting six months right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top