Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2017 12:26:58 PM EDT
In years past I got pulled from patrol for extra security at public events like Yankee Stadium, Madison Square garden, the Marathon, numerous parades and July 4th Fireworks. My department would put hundreds of boots on the ground and on the rooftops they would place "heavy weapons" teams to back the guys on the ground.

When I got selected for FTS I got to be on rooftops scanning the crowds as well as other rooftops and building windows.

For a public gathering like the concert, what security precautions were performed, and what was LVMPD's contribution?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
OPSEC.  Info will most likely be disclosed at discovery when everyone sues city and police department.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OPSEC.  Info will most likely be disclosed at discovery when everyone sues city and police department.
View Quote
That's pretty much where I was heading. Vegas has the biggest pockets and most liability for securing the concert. Something tells me there was very little to no rooftop security of the nearby buildings. The reports of officers securing their RMPs to avoid people stealing shotguns from the cars is telling.

Starting to reconsider a thermal sight for night patrol.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
New Years Eve at Times Square will be very interesting this year.  I can imagine the discussion when all the building and hotel owners with units facing the street are requested to either vet the occupants or seal the rooms for the event.

Remember:

Be safe.
Max out Deferred Comp
Stay in the PPF until you retire
Contribute to the ITHP if you can.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In years past I got pulled from patrol for extra security at public events like Yankee Stadium, Madison Square garden, the Marathon, numerous parades and July 4th Fireworks. My department would put hundreds of boots on the ground and on the rooftops they would place "heavy weapons" teams to back the guys on the ground.

When I got selected for FTS I got to be on rooftops scanning the crowds as well as other rooftops and building windows.

For a public gathering like the concert, what security precautions were performed, and what was LVMPD's contribution?
View Quote

FTS? What is that? Were you delivering flowers?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's pretty much where I was heading. Vegas has the biggest pockets and most liability for securing the concert. Something tells me there was very little to no rooftop security of the nearby buildings. The reports of officers securing their RMPs to avoid people stealing shotguns from the cars is telling.

Starting to reconsider a thermal sight for night patrol.
View Quote
RMP? What is that? Rump Mounting Partner?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
NYPD has a million acronyms.

RMP=radio motor patrol

FTS=Firearm and Tactics Section
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I think its safe to say they had a tactical element/swat team staged in the area. As is the protocol with most major events in cities.

Obviously you can't have a bunch of SWAT guys in full armor carrying big bad "army rifles" standing in public view at major venues though. That  would kill the festive attitude and bring reality to the situation. (That these events are just a ripe target)

LVMPD did an excellent job IMO. They might not have had 'rooftop snipers' but I'd wager most places wouldn't. Its not necessarily practical to have a rooftop sniper try to take out an active shooter among thousands of people. I doubt anyone anticipated someone with that kind of firepower in a hotel room/elevated position laying into the crowd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top