Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2017 12:21:31 PM EDT
Greetings, all.

I am looking to put something together for my department for dealing with potential exposures to fentanyl.  Specifically, I would like to know if anyone out there has put together any kind of training, protocols, or proposals for keeping Narcan at the intake areas of correctional facilities in the event that booking officers are exposed to fentanyl.  As it stands now, we don't have Narcan on hand for our staff to use on themselves if they are accidentally exposed during booking searches.

I have done some searching online, but I haven't come up with much in the way of specifics as to how/where the Narcan would be stored, and any type of training to go along with it.  Thanks for your assistance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
OST.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
State facility. Narcan is carried and administered by medical staff only (<3 minute response time). So far no accidental exposure here yet.

Best way to avoid exposure is education and prevention. Nitrile gloves or double up with vinyl at minimum for handling suspicious items.

https://www.policeone.com/police-products/apparel/gloves/articles/371935006-Coroner-to-first-responders-Throw-away-your-latex-gloves-when-responding-to-ODs/

Proper PPE at all times, complacency kills.

Edit: I have not had any part in our facilities response plan and obviously our intake is different from county or local. Most of our risk is in area/inmate searches and from visitor processing and can occur anywhere in a large spread out facility.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that FLETC has a training module and they are teaching it onsite(2 days?). (not that a coworker with zero medical background or knowledge got selected for said training...)
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The city I work for decided to have officers carry Narcan. Not sure exactly how they store it, but they keep it some ware inside of they're vehicles. The division I work for (EMS) trains the officers wth just a simple first aid class and they're good to use it. The opioid epademic is so bad here that we can give out kits with Narcan in the field to family members or friends. I would say get in touch with the local FD or EMS and they should be able to provide the necessary training.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#5]
We are issued and carry Narcan.  We were advised to keep it relatively cool and to not leave it in our vehicles all the time because the long exposure to heat will reduce the effectiveness of the drug.

We asked a Lieutenant from the local fire rescue department to train us on its use during in-service training.  There don't seem to be any contraindications to using it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go talk to your fire rescue guys and get as much training literature from them as you can. Lots of depts in my area are getting it soon just because of the risk of an LE exposure during an arrest or handling evidence.

if you can store some in your evidence room. very likely place to need it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Obviously protocols vary greatly by state, however narcan training is currently being offered everywhere. A good place to start is here https://www.emsworld.com/article/12007060/site-offers-free-online-naloxone-training, it contains a link to a narcan training program that is completely funded through grants from the NIH and is developed by and for those who work in an LE/First Responder capacity. We currently train a great deal of fellow LE/DOC/healthcare staff as well as laymen however the training program we work off of was developed through our local agency and is not really mine to share unfortunately.

That said, I assure you training is currenlty everywhere, one call to your local Fire dept., county or state OEM or just the local hospital ED and you'll find a contact who can work with you and your dept. no question.

Without getting to invovled in this right now, you should know since you asked that Narcan is in fact EXTREMELY sensitive to even mild changes in temperature as well as direct sunlight. There are a few studies that have been published in the journal of Emergency Medicine and elsewhere that show significant decrease in the active concentrations of numerous drugs that are used in the prehospital setting on a regular basis, a major one on the list being narcan.

According to the prescribing info it should not even be exposed to temps below just 59 degrees or above 86 for any significant amount of time..
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We are issued and carry Narcan.  We were advised to keep it relatively cool and to not leave it in our vehicles all the time because the long exposure to heat will reduce the effectiveness of the drug.

We asked a Lieutenant from the local fire rescue department to train us on its use during in-service training.  There don't seem to be any contraindications to using it.
View Quote
Depending on the speed and method of delivery, anger... tremendous amounts of anger with the definite possibility of some form of altercation if your not careful. Junkies are shitty like that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
We have two kits hanging on the wall in our drug processing room (for processing the drugs, not the bodies), and there are a couple people designated as responders with a few more kits on their desks.

Everyone is trained in its use though. The class was about 3-4 hours and included a bunch of videos and some officer testimony about exposures.

Not splitting the atom, its as simple as-open the case, screw the vial into the injector, screw the tip on the injector, shove into nostril and press the plunger...

The recognition of the OD as soon as it happens is harder than fixing the problem.

Talk to your FD or local ambulance guys, they most likely have the trainer kits (reloadable trainer units and rubber heads to shoot up the noses) and will be glad to help you out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#10]
We did that recently, have Narcan in all control rooms, the nasal inhaler kind. Good to have around.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#11]
i can tell you in south Florida we do not have it, the camp im at doesnt even have on site medical staff. we had a recent OD/Death of an inmate a couple months back. we just call 911 and send an officer with the inmate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top