Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2017 7:48:03 PM EDT
My Agnecy has a very out dated SOP, when it comes to which ARs wencan carry. The policy is written in manner that restricts  the type of rifle (lower) you can carry on duty.  The list consists of Colt,FN,ADEQ( out of business), Bush Master, DPMS and Armalite.  This forces you to buy one of these lowers and build a rifle, not a bad option, unless you want to carry a Colt or FN which are decent options.  Looking for some verbiage to use when attempting to get the SOP rewritten.  I.E.: MilSpec or inspected by training staff armorer.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to buy your own weapon?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My Agnecy has a very out dated SOP, when it comes to which ARs wencan carry. The policy is written in manner that restricts  the type of rifle (lower) you can carry on duty.  The list consists of Colt,FN,ADEQ( out of business), Bush Master, DPMS and Armalite.  This forces you to buy one of these lowers and build a rifle, not a bad option, unless you want to carry a Colt or FN which are decent options.  Looking for some verbiage to use when attempting to get the SOP rewritten.  I.E.: MilSpec or inspected by training staff armorer.

Thanks
View Quote

Ours has an updated list of manufactures and no way would be allow to carry a rifle we build ourselves, even if inspected by one of our armorers. We have S&W MP15's for our road pool guns and several other options for personally owned AR's. Must be off the list, 16in barrel, may have sling, light and NON magnifying optic and qual'd/inspected twice a year.

J-
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
We issue various brands. For those who wish to carry their own rifles, we can pick any major manufacturer (no specific names required) but the gun can't be a parts gun. Realistically, as long as the barrel has the same name as the lower it's good to go.

Firearms training section has the final say in what rifles are approved. As long as the upper matches the lower brand wise, it'll be approved.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt only. Considering how cheap / gun ignorant most police are, it's a good policy to limit what they can buy. Colt is a known quantity and a standard with very little deviation in quality from year to year. Also, they are very cheap if you order from a police supply place for an individual officer purchase.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to buy your own weapon?
View Quote
No we have an option. They will issue FNs and Rock Rivers. I left that one of the list or you can provide your own.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

I bet when the policy was written they didn't even consider you building your own, but was written thinking of buying only a factory-built rifles from one of those companies
Limiting you to certain brands is not a bad thing.
Are you looking to update the list of approved manufacturers since, as you said, the current SOP lists companies that are out of production.
Do you have policy -writing authority in your agency, and if not, who does. What is their view on updating the current policy, and when was the last update.
If it's been a while you may want to approach the issue from " the current policy is X number of years old, can we look into getting it updated".
Usually each agency head wants to tweak policies to their liking. if the current policy is from two or three admins ago that may be enough to prompt the current agency head to re-visit the policy

My FT agency will not allow personal rifles, and issues Colts
My old PT agency issues Bushmasters and allows personally owned Colts or Bushmasters.
My current PT agency issues Bushmasters and allows personal rifles without brand limitation, subject to approval by firearms staff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top