Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 12:50:39 AM EDT
I got hit directing traffic at a football game, have no idea what I'm in for need advice, legal, workers comp etc. I have broken arm which will require surgery and other injuries,  but this was an extra job, driver was cited for ACDA when pulling out, Deputy sheriff wearing proper safety gear, but this was an extra job, concerned that if I'm not covered under workers comp
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:38:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Are  you a cop? Uniformed security? Mom/dad helping out? Were you hired to do this job, or officially allowed to volunteer?
Were you in the street or on school or other private property?
What was the driver cited for?
We're gonna need a little more info, OP.
< Not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I got hit directing traffic at a football game, have no idea what I'm in for need advice, legal, workers comp etc. I have broken arm which will require surgery and other injuries,  but this was an extra job, driver was cited for ACDA when pulling out, Deputy sheriff wearing proper safety gear, but this was an extra job, concerned that if I'm not covered under workers comp
View Quote

Are/were you authorized by your Dept to work secondary jobs? What does contract say about coverage while on secondary job? What was the agreement with the place you were working? Was the driver insured? There are probably several different directions that this could go but I'm guessing some will be crapper than others.

J-
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:28:38 AM EDT
[#3]
FF here so not a lot of knowledge just what the cops have said.

Virtually any extra work like that is covered.  Private businesses, stores, construction companies etcetera, all pay the department (I suppose actually the city, county, state) not the department directly to have the cop there.  

That way no question on police powers, no question on workers comp.

The cop makes some nice OT, and the city, county, state, get some extra money also
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes job was authorized by dept, driver insured, happened on public road, incident captured on my dash cam, she was waived to go, then accelerated into me. Union contract dosnt cover or have language concerning the issue. I'm a full time officer and am not sure if will be workers comp claim on duty incident or other, will be off for a while
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:51:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Whoever was paying you is responsible for your comp insurance. And it is definitely a comp claim.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank yoy, thats what I thought
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top