Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2017 2:39:36 PM EDT
Soon to be working, what can all the LEO of ar15 teach me?

Dept issues most everything, any tools that are helpful for the task?

I ordered a good light as a back up, gonna order extra cuffs, extra key etc...
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
When you're in plain clothes, driving an unmarked car, don't confront a douchebag motorcyclist who has his GO-Pro on, with your gun drawn.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Stop talking and listen to the older officers. No one will care to listen to what you have to say for the first year.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome aboard!

Does your department have a FTO program?  Is it a good one?

Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut.  Watch what the successful officers do and emulate them.  Copying someone is the biggest compliment you can give them.  Good cops are the biggest thieves out there.  They steal good ideas from other smart people and make them their own.  

When you start, watch out for the guy/gal who comes up to you and slobbers all over you telling you how happy they are to have you there and to come to them if you need anything.  Smile, thank the person, and then stay the hell away from that person(s).  They have burned everyone else and are looking for a new friend...and they will burn you too eventually.  The top officers in the department won't be very open and friendly toward you at first.  They will keep you at arms length until you prove yourself.  Don't take it personally.  They will come to like and trust you once you earn that trust.  

Treat the public as you would like an officer to treat your family member.  Never forget....this might be the 10th burglary report you've taken this week and you're tired of taking them but it's the first time your victim has been burglarized and they are upset and maybe traumatized.  

Be a human being.  Don't let yourself get walked on but keep your ego in check.  We all have egos and some egos are bigger than others.  But, have some humility and learn something from everyone.  Every time you sense your ego getting too big...knock it back down.  Egos get more officers killed than anything.  

Keep your weapon clean.  Police officer weapons get rained on and sometime puked and bled on.  That shit's bad for them.  Clean and oil them.  Clean and oil your handcuffs every time you clean your weapon as a matter of routine.  

Get training.  Put in for every training event you can.  You won't get approved for them all.  That's ok.  If you can't get your department to get you to all the training you want, then pay for it yourself.  What's your life worth to you?  At 0200 in the morning, your department won't be there to tell you how to save yourself.  Training will do that for you.  Get yourself to training.  

Keep yourself in shape physically.  Yes round is a shape....a shitty shape.  If you want people to think you're a professional, you have to look like one.   If you look like the Pillsbury Donut, the public despises you.  They laugh at you behind your back.  You need a physical training regimen that includes running and weightlifting.  Sprints are better than being able to run a marathon.  Crossfit type workouts are good.....but make sure you're running and lifting some weights to increase your strength and endurance.  You don't need to be an Olympic class athlete.  But, if you can't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded then you shouldn't be a cop.  

Eat healthy.  It's hard as a cop working shifts.  Lots of places offer food discounts...which is appreciated but also many of those places offer high carb foods.  Your job is mostly sedentary with short bursts of physical exertion.  Avoid carbs.  Eat protein and some fat.  Develop a routine of healthy eating.  Yes it's hard.  Suck it up and do it.  Your body will thank you and so will your family when you are able to come home to them because you're not having a heart attack at work.  

Keep your uniform presentable.  That means clean, well fitting, and pressed.  Polish your boots with something other than a Snickers bar.  Keep a boot brush in your bag for occasional touchups during your shift.  No problem if you get dirty on your shift.  It happens if you are doing your job.  But, clean yourself and your uniform when you get home and come in to your next shift looking like a professional.  

Carry a couple flashlights.  Your first few years on the job will likely be in the dark.  

Keep your radio in good condition.  Clean the radio contacts every once in awhile (mainly for external mics).  

Know where you are at all times.  Carry paper maps of your patrol area.  Yes we have MDTs with maps and GPS.  They are great.  But, they fail occasionally.  You can still be a cop without them.  Remember, yes God does know where you are at all times but if your dispatcher doesn't know where you are at all times, you and God better be on good terms.  

Take care of your dispatchers and your jailers.  They are doing an equally important job as you are.  You are not more important than them.  You can't do your job without them.  Don't shit on them.  They have bad days too.  Be understanding when they do.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quick, it's not to late to apply for the Fire Department.

Smile and Wave?

Seriously, get the pen clip handcuff key.
Make sure your heart rate is lower than the people you deal with.
Don't worry if they get away with something as there will be plenty of other chances to get them.
You can be polite and get things done.
Two is one and one is none (carry the backup light).
It's not like TV.
Record everything.
Don't make other officers look bad by acting like an ass.
Know what you have and what you can do in any situation. Including but not limited to - Are they detained or is it a consensual contact.? Can you arrest or not?
Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.
For the most part, don't threaten people. Including but not limited to -  "If I have to come back your going to jail." "Respect my authority or else"  
Know the law and your policies as you will be fine as long as you act within them.
Don't take the job home with you.

As usual, the FPNI
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Few more:

Get yourself into court as much as possible.  You need the experience of getting on the stand and defending your actions.  It's good for you.  It can also be painful and some officers who have enormous egos can't take being beaten up by a defense attorney.  So they become do nothing officers.  But, they will tell you all about the bad ass things they did....once upon a time.  You just won't see them doing bad ass things any more.  As time goes on and you write better reports, you'll spend less and less time in court anyway.  So, get the experience while you can.  

Don't associate with the negative influences on your department.  They are the ones who bitch about everything.  This job has plenty of crap to deal with.  Don't add to the crap load.  Find positive people to associate with.  They will help you stay positive or get back to being positive when you have a bad day.  

When you deal with the dregs of society....learn to laugh at them.  We see some truly funny shit in this job.  Laugh at it.  Be professional but life's too short not to spend some time in laughter.  

Have friends outside of LE.  It's fine to hang out with your fellow officers when off duty but don't just hang with them only.  Find some non-cop buddies to hang with.  Hang out only with cops and you might start to think that everyone other than cops are bad guys.  They aren't.  So, have some other friends who aren't cops.  My wife's best friend has a boyfriend.  I'm getting to know him.  Nice guy.  Never been a cop and never will.  But, we are becoming friends and found out we both like to SCUBA dive.  So, we've been diving together.  It's nice to do something totally unrelated to work with someone who isn't a cop.  Nothing against my cop buddies....but it's good to have other friends too.  

Don't hesitate to take time out of your day to stop and chat with kids.  You might make a big difference in their lives.  You may never know it but at least you've tried.  There's also nothing wrong with stopping to chat with random people.  I saw a guy build a neat looking shop building.  I used to drive by occasionally when he was building it just to look at it.  One day I saw him out near the road and stopped.  I told him I thought his shop building looked awesome.  He appreciated the compliment and invited me in for a tour.  We talked tools for a little while.  It was an enjoyable contact for me and he learned from me that us cops are humans too.  

Take vacation time occasionally.  Get away from the job.  It's important to recover and recharge.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What agency?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys never disappoint. Thanks for the tips, in a career as big, dangerous and important personal advice has proven to be the most helpful.

The FTO program is a good program going by what officers and other people close to the agency have told me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Kudos to ColtRifle...Great advice, covered pretty much everything.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#11]
PS:..Practice "situational awareness" be aware of what's going on around you, especially when things are chaotic. ALWAYS remember that two of the most dangerous things are so called "routine" traffic stops and domestic calls. Those have the potential to go bad in a heartbeat! Don't get complacent! Sadly you will see way too much of the bad side of humanity. When your tour is over leave work at work! Don't make the mistake of "falling into the bottle". Way too easy to do! I don't mean to be negative but the world is a whole lot different from when I started in 91.....Otherwise, take care, STAY SAFE! and enjoy your career !
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Focus on the FTO process right now. Once you are on your own, during some down time, imagine some realistic scenarios you could face and walk yourself through them in your mind. Imagine yourself getting shot or stabbed/slashed. Think about how it hurts and seeing your own blood...then fight through it and win the fight....all in your mind.

Remember, the body cannot go where the mind has not been. I didn't think that up myself by the way...I stole it from someone else....just can't remember who.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Wear your seatbelt.  A lot of cops are killed in vehicle accidents.  Too many.  Lots aren't wearing their seatbelts.  Lots of cops claim they need to be able to quickly get out of their vehicle.  Well, if you roll your vehicle (not uncommon) you're gonna get out quickly....and die in the process.  Train yourself to remove your seatbelt as you approach the location you are responding to.   I don't know of many incidents where an officer died in an ambush where he/she couldn't get out of the vehicle quickly but I do know of many incidents were officers were ejected in a vehicle accident.  I know one personally.  He's dead.  So, wear your seatbelt.  It's also the law and probably department policy.  

Respond to calls for assistance carefully.  Young, enthusiastic officers are notorious for wrecking on their way to assist other officers.  It's good you want to get there....but if you never get there at all you won't help anyone and when you wreck, you also added to the problem you were responding to because you aren't there to help anyone and now you need help.  Arrive alive.  If you crash on the way to assist someone, it should be because the other driver screwed up...not because you did.  Slow down a little and focus on your driving.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PS:..Practice "situational awareness" be aware of what's going on around you, especially when things are chaotic. ALWAYS remember that two of the most dangerous things are so called "routine" traffic stops and domestic calls. Those have the potential to go bad in a heartbeat! Don't get complacent! Sadly you will see way too much of the bad side of humanity. When your tour is over leave work at work! Don't make the mistake of "falling into the bottle". Way too easy to do! I don't mean to be negative but the world is a whole lot different from when I started in 91.....Otherwise, take care, STAY SAFE! and enjoy your career !
View Quote
I just worked a 14 hour shift.  I'm exhausted.  I still kept reminding myself all day not to get complacent cause when you get tired, you may take shortcuts.

Don't be afraid to write to-do lists.  Nobody wants a 30 day unpaid vacation for evidence or other violations.

I had a major accident, a stabbing, a mental health call, an overedose, a burglary and ran code multiple times today.  You need to stay in shape and eat healthy to deal with your body's adrenaline peaks and valleys.

Don't be afraid to ask people questions.

Don't take things personal.  Everyone is under stress.

2 is 1 and 1 is none is a great ethos.

Get your ass in court and listen.

Don't fuck with fentanyl or anything you might think contains it.

People will lie to you every day.  Develop the knowledge to call them on their bullshit.

Make sure you know your elements and have a victim.  Some guys get too quick to arrest.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#15]
A good flashlight and a comfortable pair of boots.. always have two sets of cuffs on your gun belt. Don't be too quick to start writing summonses and making arrests. Worry about answering your calls and doing what's ask of you and then start writing a handful a month until you're ready.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
you don't even really to begin to understand the job until you get at least 5 years on

Until then just listen to the senior officers
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#17]
On your 2nd day of work and your overhearing a conversation between your shift Sgt a Deputy Chief, and the Sgt asks the DC to clarify his instructions, DO NOT chime in with "thats what he said the first time" .

Shut mouth, ears open, go learn and prove yourself. Too many new guy station rats running around trying to ride coat tails.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't take anything personal

Don't use your emotions in anything, be empathic not sympatric

Leave work at work, don't bring it home.  Check yourself at the door: be a cop when you walk out of the house for duty.  Be a husband/father/yourself when you walk in the door after work.

You are going to deal with the worst people or people in the worst situations.  Don't start believing everybody is a perp because of it.

Train, Train, Train, Train, too many cops think they are good enough but they are the least trained professionals with a gun.  You have to make it home at the end of shift so train like better men than you didn't make it home.  Train while exhausted/stressed.

You have family to make it home too (rather you're married or not you have people that care about you) so make it home.

Take care of your body and it will take care of you.

Be polite, be courteous, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.  I'm the nicest, most level headed guy you meet until you give me a reason not to be.  In today's world cops are being killed by people who don't know them just because they are cops.

Don't lie. EVER.

Check your own triggers: I've seen suicides (brains everywhere), gang/drug violence, murders without effect to me.  I will lose my shit over an abused animal, women, kids, rape victims, DUI crashes.

Don't shoot the dog.

Long guns > Handguns.

Take Judo classes.  

Have a hobby, I prefer a shooting hobby.

Trust your gut, unless you have a fucked up moral compass.

Make it home.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#19]
If it occurs (when??) someone tries to get you to lie, take something for free, do favors, etc. run away, fast.

It starts small.  Little things.  Things that don't seem to be so serious.  But they grow.  A few little things turns into more little things and then a few bigger things and then lots of bigger things - but only if you go along with it.

I was only in one small department for 5 years.  I went into thinking police officers were honest upright brave, etc., etc., etc.  By the time I left I'd learned that even the Chief couldn't do the right thing because of his past with the other officers.

Just don't go there.  They won't like it, but you may stay out of jail that way.  And you can sleep better at night knowing you do the right thing.

I carried the extra cuffs.  I also carried a couple of those big heavy duty wire/cable ties inside my hat brim.  I don't know if those are even legal these days, but they were back then (never had to use them.).

I carried extra ammo (just one box) in the car.

I carried extra speed loaders (two double pouches when we switched over to S&W 686's).  Prior to that I carried two double magazine pouches for the 1911 I carried.

Better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Do nothing, bring your own food.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't be a dick.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Our Secretary of State used to offer quick refs for our vehicle and criminal codes, called an "Offense Code Book". While it was intended to be a guide to the IVC, they include a listing of the CC as well.
View Quote
For quick reference I've always carried the Looseleaf  V & T Law  flip guides for NYS. Unfortunately they make no NC version of that, and I can't find a company that does on a Google search.
One book I do carry a complete copy of is the V & T laws, and I see that Lexis Nexis makes a NC version of that.

https://store.lexisnexis.com/categories/law-enforcement/north-carolina-783

Especially for a new officer who doesn't have a lot of the V & T stuff down pat early in their career, the quick reference guides may not have enough information in them to decide what section applies in a given situation. I used to carry the three ring version; those don't hold up over time and went to the bound copy version years ago.

As a new officer, you'll be working nights for a while. carry multiple light sources.
Good gloves.
Spare ammo, if your agency allows it.
If your agency allows some sort of suspenders for your duty belt, use them. Your back will thank you in 20 years.
External vest carriers, same thing. More comfortable in warmer months as well.

Other guys have covered some important points. You're only as good as your reputation and the respect of other officers. If your credibility is shot with peers, the courts and the public, you wont last long as an officer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For quick reference I've always carried the Looseleaf  V & T Law  flip guides for NYS. Unfortunately they make no NC version of that, and I can't find a company that does on a Google search.
One book I do carry a complete copy of is the V & T laws, and I see that Lexis Nexis makes a NC version of that.

Especially for a new officer who doesn't have a lot of the V & T stuff down pat early in their career, the quick reference guides may not have enough information in them to decide what section applies in a given situation. I used to carry the three ring version; those don't hold up over time and went to the bound copy version years ago.

As a new officer, you'll be working nights for a while. carry multiple light sources.
Good gloves.
If your agency allows some sort of suspenders for your duty belt, use them. Your back will thank you in 20 years.

Other guys have covered some important points. You're only as good as your reputation and the respect of other officers. If your credibility is shot with peers, the courts and the public, you wont last long as an officer.
View Quote
I am a NC LEO and this is a great quick reference to have in the car...

For the FNG
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#26]
In no certain order:

Reports:  "When in doubt, write it out."  You'll never get in trouble for writing a report, but you can for not writing one.  It's "CYA", not "Cover Your Ass", but "Can You Authenticate".  

Report Writing and Interpersonal Skills:  Pay attention to your peers that are ahead of you and the veteran officers.  Borrow/steal/appropriate what you see them do that works well and fold it in with your skills.  Everything I do is an amalgamation of what worked well for me and also was solid skills I picked up from the experience of others.  I continue to expand this even after 22 years of civilian policing and 9 years of military policing.  

This will sound complicated, but it's not really:  When making decisions, ask yourself what would my supervisor, Chief, a judge and ultimately a jury think of the action you took.  If anyone of those first 3 would have a problem with it, or you couldn't defend it to the last one, don't do it.  Have that mindset, sometimes you will have a second or maybe a few seconds if you are lucky to decide how you will act/react.

Your reputation means a hell of a lot.  Build it, cultivate it, defend it and protect it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#27]
The joint locks from Japanese jujutsu were invaluable making arrests.  Sure, I had to try the department "approved" joint locks, but having other options available when things went south was great.  If you can find a dojo, tell the instructor why you are there, and they can help you out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#28]
everything above, especially the training and integrity.

Learn from everything and everyone. Old been there done that guys, supervisors, and younger go getters can be a wealth of knowledge that you want to tap into. Even that junkie you arrest every other month can give you info on whats going on in town and how crimes are committed. Its crazy how much you can learn from people you arrest just by talking to them like a human being.

Cultivate good working relationships with your supervision, co workers, detectives, narcotics guys,  prosecutors etc. They are good resources when you catch a case that is over your head.

Meet as many people in your area as you can. The more community contacts you have the more bad guys you will find. People who aren't criminals can be a good source of info, or even just a funny story to wake you up at 3am.

Learn Spanish, it will be useful.

Also remember the dispatch delay, when a hot call comes out remember that someone had to get to a phone, give dispatch enough info to dispatch a call, then for dispatch to get the call sent out could be as much as ten minutes, maybe longer if they had to do any translating. It may be better to creep towards something at watch the cars and people you drive by while en route instead of driving past your suspect at 100 mph.

Don't forget driving at high speeds is just as likely to get you killed as a bad guy, It is not worth running code to a fender bender, overdose, or domestic argument. And like I said above, even with the serious stuff, you don't want to drive past your suspects.

Work to make yourself an asset to your shift, not a liability.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:10:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
What part of NC? Around the Nashville, Rocky Mount area by chance?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What part of NC? Around the Nashville, Rocky Mount area by chance?
View Quote
No I'm western North Western NC close to Boone
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't end up on YouTube.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Nothing is personal.

Do not yell, scream, curse, or evidence drama.

Do not lie.

Practice situational awareness.

Exercise

Your reputation amongst the courts is of utmost importance, be honest, be professional, be on time, do not shade the truth.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Careful who you trust and with whom you decide to confide things of a personal nature. The guy who said "have friends outside of the dept" is spot on.

Some of the most trustworthy people and some of the most duplicitous people you'll ever meet are other officers. "Mouth shut, eyes/ears open."j
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Ignore the RODs.  (every department has them and some post here as well)  

ROD = Retired on Duty
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Best advice I got from my FTO is

1 don't ever lie

2 tell on your self first. (When you messed up and you will)

3 own your shit. (When you messed up and you will)
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ignore the RODs.  (every department has them and some post here as well)  

ROD = Retired on Duty
View Quote
Also ignore the young bucks with stars in their eyes and an attitude of " I'll arrest EVERYBODY and let the courts figure things out".
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't worry about gear too much.  Listen to your FTOs and they'll help you with what works.  And you'll figure out what works for you the best, equipment wise.  After you're done with FTO, you still won't know shit, but just enough to be dangerous.  Pay attention to squared away veteran cops and see how they handle business.  Learn from them at every opportunity.  Keep up your skills, like shooting, DTs and arrest control.  Take classes on case law updates, active shooter response, etc.  Never, ever lie on your reports, in court or to your fellow officers and supervisors.  If you fucked up, face it, lose the case/take the punishment and learn from it.  No arrest and no screw up is ever worth your reputation or your career.  

Stay in shape and never get fat - you will lose respect of bad guys, the public and your peers.  Plus you will endanger yourself and your partners and will probably not make it through a full career.  This job is already bad for your health and you will be driving, running, crawling and fighting with 35+ pounds of crap on you for usually more 40 hours/week.  Add to that being weak and a bunch of blubber, and you will wreck you joints, your back and your cardiovascular system.  Don't drink too much.  Booze ends more careers prematurely than most other things.

Wear your seatbelt.  Some "cool guys" might tell you that it's not needed it and that it's a hinderance, but it's all crap.  You can take it off a block away from a hot call and learn to get it off quick, but it might save your life or keep you from a wheelchair.  You may never get into a shooting, but few cops make it through a career without being in a wreck.  Wear your vest, even when it's hot, stiff, heavy and smells awful.  If you're in uniform, your armor is on, period.

Lastly, everyone will lie to you.  Bad guys, witnesses, victims, random people for no reason.  Don't take it personal.  Watch the hands.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#39]
I make all my PPO's read a book called "no one trips over a mountain" it will help you though every phase of training and will put things in prospective
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Handy dandy statute books....I stil have a few in a drawer somewhere. You find certain pages get more use than others......
View Quote
I made a cheat sheet in Excel and use Online Sunshine a lot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#41]
There was a thread a few months ago from a newly-hired rural Deputy that was looking for advice.  If someone can find it, it was full of great advice.

Wear your vest.  Every shift.  I don't care how hot or uncomfortable it is.

Treat people with as much respect as they allow you to.  Your mouth can be an asset or a liability.  I've talked my way out of more fights than I care to think about.

When your hand is forced and it's time to use force, use enough force to get the job done and use it early enough.

Train with your assigned and backup weapons.  Don't forget about your hands and feet.

Get or stay in shape.  The longest 3 minutes of your life is when you're fighting a meth head that's trying to get your gun while your back up is on their way.

Know where you are at all times.  Eventually it will become second nature, but until then make a conscious effort to know your location.  Even if it's a rough estimate, that will help your partners find you.

Our vehicles have GPS but our portable radios don't.  Keep than in mind if you get out of your car to chase someone.

Check on your 24-hour gas station/convenience store clerks.  

Don't be a hero.  The time to arrest than asshole with the felony warrant is not when he is with a half-dozen friends and you're alone.  Discretion is the better part of valor.

When in doubt, write the report.  Even if it's bullshit, your ass is covered in case something goes bad.

Don't be afraid to call off a vehicle pursuit when it gets dangerous.  Don't let your adrenaline and machismo override your common sense.

You will go to calls that are hard to shake off.  I attended the autopsy of an 8-month old boy last week.  Talk to someone when you feel off.  Co-worker, supervisor, wife, pastor, your dog, doesn't matter.  Get it off your chest.

Look for ways to do things better or equipment that will make you better.  Sometimes you have to spend your own money to get good stuff.

This job is a marathon, and a shitty one at that.  You will NOT clean up the streets.  Friends and innocents will get hurt and die no matter how hard you work to prevent it.  Don't turn the job into your life and find a hobby that makes you happy.

Master the basics before you try to get into a specialized unit.  You cannot be a good detective or supervisor if you can't write a good report or take a quality statement.

Don't shop at the company store too much.  You are replaceable and the powers-that-be will always do what is good for them and the agency.

Good luck and be careful.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Best advice I got from my FTO is

1 don't ever lie

2 tell on your self first. (When you messed up and you will)

3 own your shit. (When you messed up and you will)
View Quote
That's excellent advice.

I asked one of my FTOs how to prepare for court when I got my first subpoena.  He told me to shine my boots, wear a tie, read my report, and tell the truth.

Sometimes the best advice is the simple stuff.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Good gloves.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our Secretary of State used to offer quick refs for our vehicle and criminal codes, called an "Offense Code Book". While it was intended to be a guide to the IVC, they include a listing of the CC as well.

Good gloves.

This is what we used.

North Carolina "blue book"
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

PM me a department email address and I will send you a document that I have been adding to for years with a lot of "tricks" of the trade.  I call the document "Things I wish I knew as a rookie".
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Watch your speed when responding to calls.

A neighboring town recently had a rookie hydroplane and crash head on into a tree and unfortunately die while responding to a dumb call which was in progress.

Some dispatchers suck terribly and overhype situations. Take a breath and rethink a situation when you start getting tunnel vision.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm in the state academy right now, graduating on 7 DEC. I appreciate the advice as well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I would get a good pocket knife that can cut seat belts and break window glass.  Victorinox makes one that can cut windshield glass.  Also carry a backup flashlight.  

De escalation can make your life much easier when possible.  

Avoid anything that can get you jammed up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#48]
watch when searching suspects...............I've been stuck with needles and had to take the "cocktail" to ensure I didn't get HIV.  Thankfully my body took well to the medicine but others have had horrible experiences where it makes them super violently ill.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#49]
A lot of great advice here.

Carry a few pens on yourself at all times make one you and only you use. Then buy a cheap pen for other people to use they will take your pen or do something gross with it.

Been hit a few times flashlights. Have more then one!

Seat belts wear them all the time same goes for your vest.

Multi tool they are more useful than a knife. I used mine a lot we had people who liked to hang themselves with metal cords.

U.S Cop app great app that allows you to look laws and court cases up.

Most important treat people the way you want to be treated! If there a jerk be friendly to them. Talk talk talk to people let them know what's going on it's better to talk them into handcuffs then fight them.

Don't question another officer in front of civilians. If you think what they are doing is wrong or don't understand step away if you can and talk to them.

Cuff keys are your friends have many of them and don't use plastic keys they brake but same can happen to metal ones.

Watch out for the media they will try to screw you if they can or show that you don't respect the people you serve.

Talk to your DA ask them if they will give your copies of reports they fell are good! With reports some places or DA want certain things in the report. I was Federal on a reservation we had to read everyone we arrested there rights I always types out each of there rights on my report word for word then there was no question if I read there rights to them. I saved it as a template on my flash drive.

Have a flash drive that you only place work related things on! Had a dumba$$ who had nude woman from porn sites on his flash drive when the DA took his flash drive he was not to happy.

If you have a camera use it and watch the video when you write the report it helps and the video will be asked for most of the time in court anyway. If you don't have video see what the policy is on audio records and use it if you can with in policy guild lines.

Try to be the guy who knows policy by heart or at least have a copy of it at all times to look at.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Also belt keepers are your friends use them so your gear does not move and you know where everything is. Also if you have to use the cheap plastic duty belt buckles they do open on there own at the worst time the keepers will make sure your belt stays on your waist no on the floor.

If you can upgrade your plastic buckle to a metal on like raptor or the other metal type out there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top