Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2017 2:48:01 PM EDT
Son's birthday coming up and looking at one of these to give him. Seems to have about the same amount of positive and negative reviews but limited availability. Are they redesigning them with a new series?

Tools

01 420HC Stainless Steel Folding Medical Shears
   02 Strap Cutter
   03 Ring Cutter
   04 Ruler (5 cm)
   05 Oxygen Tank Wrench
   06 Carbide Glass Breaker

Additional Information
Raptor®
The Leatherman Raptor shears features the necessary tools for uniformed medical professionals to safely and quickly go to work in an emergency situation. Developed with the input of special operations medics, EMTs and fire professionals familiar with standard medical shears, the Raptor was crafted with just the right balance of multipurpose features for medical-specific ops without an overkill of tools to complicate sometimes life-threatening situations. When it's a question of survival, the Raptor answers loud and clear. Holster included.
Specifications

Closed Length 5 in | 12.7 cm
   Weight 5.8 oz | 164 g
   Shear Length 1.9 in | 4.8 cm

Brand Leatherman

Download Raptor® User Guide

Anything similar that would be good to go?

EMT/PARA type stuff.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and it sits on the shelf.  I carry a Benchmade Triage. I prefer the hook.

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one and use it everyday at work. When I need to cut something, I need to cut it efficiently and they do that well. Haven't had an issue with them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one and it sits on the shelf.  I carry a Benchmade Triage. I prefer the hook.

View Quote
Ya, that's a nice unit but I'm not sure I like the kid that much $$!

You carry a set of scissors separate?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ya, that's a nice unit but I'm not sure I like the kid that much $!

You carry a set of scissors separate?
View Quote
Yes, I leave them in the bag.  I get the cheap ones, if they get nasty I just toss them.  Look at the Benchmade Hook 7 as an alternative.

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ill take it?   I lost mine on duty. was a gift from dad. I carried mine for 3 or 4 years. Work as advertised
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I carry one every day, that hook has has been used for everything from clothes to cutting a id tag thing off an evals neck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a raptor. Never use it. After cleaning it a few times figured I'd rather use the work disposables. Plus without cleaning they get gunked up fast and stick.

It's neat for what it is, but scissors are supplied at work. We got rid of oxygen keys a long time ago, they are all a handle now instead of a key. Never use the small ruler. Spring loaded glass breakers are supplied by work. Scissors can cut a seat belt, plus I carry a pocket knife, plus every other person on the scene has a knife. The ring cutter really isn't usable, and real ring cutters are supplied by work.

In the time to take it out of my pocket and unfold it, I can grab a set of scissors off the wall or bag.

And last, but certainly not least, they will get set aside during a call cause you don't want to put dirty ass scissors back in your pocket, and they will disappear forever. Or you will hand them to someone, and they will disappear forever.

The only use I have ever found for them is cutting leather motorcycle jackets.

Edit: the streamlight micro light, the pen light that takes a single AAA battery, is a great gift. Gets used every damn day, work or home. A couple pairs of good boot socks. A good belt, like condor or such. A benchmade knife (30% ems discount). Those are all great EMS gifts. A portable, pocket size, power pack for his phone. Also an excellent gift. Or take him shopping for a nice pair of work boots. All of those will get used well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Skip the Raptor.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm kinda late but I've got spyderco, bench made, frank B's and after 10 years of robbery, narcotics, tac units blah blah blah the best thing  cop can carry IMHO is a leatherman skeletool.

Find me a cop that's used a knife in a defensive situation and I'll find you a stool and a beer :)
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Scissors are very easy to lose on a hectic scene - you either set them down somewhere and forget them, or hand them to someone, who then sticks them in their own pocket.

I don't have one of those Raptors, but I've seen them and while they look neat, they're heavier than normal scissors and seem like they'd be a pain to clean.

If you want something cheaper, that still has the cool factor, look at the Leatherman Z-Rex instead.  While I don't use the ripper much, the built in oxygen wrench gets used all the time, plus I hang my medic keys off of it on a split ring.  Well worth the $19.  I think they come with a MOLLE holster now, but I carry mine on my belt in an old nylon .45 mag pouch, which works great.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm kinda late but I've got spyderco, bench made, frank B's and after 10 years of robbery, narcotics, tac units blah blah blah the best thing  cop can carry IMHO is a leatherman skeletool.

Find me a cop that's used a knife in a defensive situation and I'll find you a stool and a beer :)
View Quote
So true!! Just skip the Leatherman and go with SOG! Never had a problem with SOG customers service! Did with Leatherman when in 2003 they told me after I broke my pliers in Iraq opening ammo crates that the warranty did not cover there tool being used in combat! After that never bought a Leatherman anything!

SOG on the other hand broke a blade throwing the tool around just D+cking around in Iraq sent them an email told them what happen and they sent me FREE a package that had all new tools in it.

Also OP as for knives never get top of the line knife for LEO or EMT because they are going to lose it or brake it! I only used knives that cost $50 or less and did not worry if they I lost them or broke them they cut when I needed something to be cut.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd skip the raptors.  I have a pair and it just sits on my workbench to cut up shirts into smaller rags.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top