User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Around here, running a tag is good to go. But running a DL on the registered owner without reasonable suspicion or violation is a no go.
View Quote
really? our computers (and I believe are on a statewide level) are set up to run the DL number of the registered owner of the vehicle when we run a plate. What is the reasoning behind not being able to run the DL with out RS/violation?

Only things we are restricted on are running a person for to see if they have a Conceal Pistol License or run their Criminal History. Both require a reason and are auditable.

J-
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup.  We run a few plates

I think for our 3 camera systems, it is about $30k a unit for the equipment, and the license is a couple grand a year.

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:19:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yup.  We run a few plates

I think for our 3 camera systems, it is about $30k a unit for the equipment, and the license is a couple grand a year.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/182293/LPR-276834.jpg
View Quote
When I worked for the county jail I HATED those damn things....

Cars with them would come around the corner and all the IR cameras on the outside would flip out because of the IR LEDs in the car's cameras...

If you haven't seen them through IR....   They strobe... and it pissed off our outside IR cameras like you wouldn't believe....
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm surprised there isn't more talk of plate readers.  Most towns around here have them on at least a few of the police cars.  I just passed by one this morning sitting on the side of a well traveled road.  He was in the same spot a few months ago when he got me when I didn't renew my license. (my fault, I admitted and paid it).

I'm surprised that they aren't getting burdened with lots of extra work.  I imagine it'll only take minutes of sitting somewhere before the reader finds something wrong with the car or it's registered driver.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm surprised there isn't more talk of plate readers.  Most towns around here have them on at least a few of the police cars.  I just passed by one this morning sitting on the side of a well traveled road.  He was in the same spot a few months ago when he got me when I didn't renew my license. (my fault, I admitted and paid it).

I'm surprised that they aren't getting burdened with lots of extra work.  I imagine it'll only take minutes of sitting somewhere before the reader finds something wrong with the car or it's registered driver.
View Quote
Number of hits is determined by volume of plates read. Rush hours are often the best times, but also the most difficult due to traffic volume. Lots of hits while enroute to calls for service or while on other traffic stops.
Some small agencies find that they can't afford the associated costs, even if they get the PR system on a grant
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top