Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 4:16:03 PM EDT
I am going to work for a armored car company and vests are mandetory, i figured you cops will know what the pros and cons of vests are. ive been looking at second chance vests since they seem to be the best out there right now. i want something that will stop knife attacks and pistol rounds, level 3 or something. money isnt really a factor since i can write it off on taxes and if it saves my ass it will be worth every penny. dont need plates since if the badguys have rifles i will be in a whole different kinda trouble. any replies will be appriciated, thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Most armor is either made for stab protection or ballistic protection, not both. I'm sure there is a combo vest out there, but very heavy and thick.

The cons of vests are: EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE, RETAIN BODY HEAT, SWEAT, ETC.

pros: Duh?

IMO, the Second chance is the top line manufacturer, who makes several different products at different quality levels. The Ultima vest is the top model, very light and thin. Almost actually comfortable. My agency issues this vest and when a new model is released, we will get that one. IIRC, the Monarch is the next level down.

All vest models are available in different threat levels. I'd recommend a Level IIA as a minimum.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Second Chance is a great company. However, I don't really see the need to spend a ton of cash on vest just for the name. I mean, if you are looking for a Second Chance Threat Level IIIA vest, then any vest with that level will protect the same as the Second Chance, correct? There are even new Gall's vests out there which are pretty affordable. There are a ton of vest companies out there which make any threat level vests you want. Also, consider buying a trama pac or even getting a ballistic plate for the carrier/vest.

For ideas on which departments are using what vests, check out this site:
https://vests.ojp.gov/resources/resourcestypesofvests.html

Additionally, regarding this comment "The cons of vests are: EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE, RETAIN BODY HEAT, SWEAT, ETC." I really don't think they are unfomfortable at all. True they may make you sweat more and do act as a body temp insulator, but if this is a huge problem with the temps in your area, just get an outside vest carrier made and wear the vest outside your uniform. These outsdie carriers are AWESOME. They typically can match the color of your uniform EXACT, so poeple dont even know you are wearing the outside carrier. You can get the carriers custom made through a local, authorized. supply company, and I even think more vest companies make the outside carriers, but are a generic S, M , L, XL sizing. Hope this helps.

FYI: I paid $80 for my custom tailored outside vest carrier which I wear on duty.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are thinking about, or have, a Second Chance Ultima vest you should read this thread

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=193823[/url]

It is concerning. And yes, I do wear an Ultia Level II every day.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Second Chance does indeed make a knife/spike proof ballistic vest.  Go to their website and look.  Then find a good local distributor who knows how to measure your properly and get it.  I own an Ultima Level II but the Dept. issues a Monarch level IIIa because we only issue slugs for our shotguns and you want your vest to stop the heaviest threat you face. Its hot at time but nothing that can not be managed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the replies, i was reading about the ZYLON issues in the other threads, im definetly going with the kevlar. i also read about us armor company so i will check their website out. thank you for the link to find out what departments are giving their officers LPD111, ill check that out. again thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am going to work for a armored car company and vests are mandetory, i figured you cops will know what the pros and cons of vests are. ive been looking at second chance vests since they seem to be the best out there right now. i want something that will stop knife attacks and pistol rounds, level 3 or something. money isnt really a factor since i can write it off on taxes and if it saves my ass it will be worth every penny. dont need plates since if the badguys have rifles i will be in a whole different kinda trouble. any replies will be appriciated, thanks
View Quote

As Policeman said, as a minimum, get a vest which will stop whatever round your issue handgun and/or shotgun uses. Soft body armor won't help much with rifle fire, but it will help IN SOME INSTANCES with edged weapons. A perp will probably never cut or slash through any vest, but he may be able to stab through it, depending on how sharp & pointed the weapon is.
But the vest will stop a lot of stab attempts, especially if you use the hard trauma plates. Even the soft plates help deflect edged weapons or slow down the blade enough to keep it from penetrating.

I have used Second Chance, Point Blank & PACA body armor. The most important thing is to find the most comfortable vest you can find, because if it's not comfortable you will find lots of excuses not to wear it. All the vests will stop a lot more than they are rated for, since the manufacturers are very conservative in their testing. So be more concerned about comfort than the protection levels......

And wear that armor religiously. The one time you don't wear it is the time you will really need it.......Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top