Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 7:41:01 AM EDT
how does the ranking system work for police, what i mean is, is it similar to the military where you have to have a college degree to be an "officer"? does someone with a 4 year degree enter the same as someone right out of highschool?
thanks in advance and thanks for your service
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
NYPD requires some college or Military to be a Police Officer.  If you mean Sergents and above then you just call them "Bosses."

...and yes, a person with a 4 year degree starts out at the bottom like I did, but the more college you have, the higher you can advance.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#3]
It depends on the agency and the state you live in. Out here in the PRK, some agencies will not even talk to you if you do not have a 4 year degree. For the most part everyone starts out and an Officer or a Deputy. You start out with a POST basic accademy cert. Once you have completed probation, 12-18 months, you apply for a basic POST cert. With a BA you can apply for an intermeadiate POST Cert with 4 years on. With a BA you can apply for your advanced POST Cert in 6 years. If you do not have a BA it takes a lot longer. My partner does not have a BA but has over 10 years on and still does not have an Advanced cert.

In some agencies getting thess certs gets you more pay and/or promotions.

The only "Officers" as in what you see in the military all started out at the bottom and worked their way up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
No college required at my agency. There is a bonus of 10% of your passing score on the civil service exam if you have a 4 year degree. Veterans get 20%. College has no tangible effect on promotions. Meaning, there is no extra credit or requirement that an Officer have post secondary education to be promoted. After five years time on the job you are eligible to take the test for Sergeant. All other ranks require 1 year time in grade to be eligible to test for the next highest grade. College comes in handy when studying for the test. Our test is a written exam compiled from usually 9 to 11 sources of study material (College level management texts, Rules and Regs, State and Federal Constitutional law, State criminal/traffic law, local criminal/traffic law, Etc.) You are promoted according to your test score only. No other considerations.
I have College but not a degree. After 15 years and 2 promotions in rank I can say with confidence that a College education does not make a better Police Officer. Many of our best Cops have no college. Some of our worst Cops have some College. I knew plenty of useless people that attended College or graduated from College.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have College but not a degree.  
View Quote

that's kinda where i am right now, i'm 2 years into college and feel like i'm just spinning my wheels, i'm thinking of joining the military and am thinking of my options down the road....thanks again for your help
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Right now, alot of departments in my area are hurting for people. Cops who got hired in the 70's are coming up on 25/30 years on the job and there hasn't been as many applicants applying for new positions. I think that this will change in the near future, so don't wait too long to start applying.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#8]
HELL NO!!

As a local LEO, I have issues with my STATE having a "Police" force. I understand the need just have seen problems when local control is handed over so easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top