Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/26/2003 10:10:27 AM EDT
As I was leaving the barber shop today, I ran into a Cop who was going in to get his hair cut. I commented on the car he was driving, and we talked for a coupel of minutes, when I noticed that it didn't look like he was wearing a vest. I asked him about it, and he said it was too hot. The conversation that followed: Me: "No vest?! Are you out of your mind? Don't you know there are some people out here that just don't give a shit? I oughta fuckin' smack you! Him: "I don't believe you really want to do that, do you?" Me: "Uh huh. You let me catch you out here again without that vest on, and see what happens." Good guy, and he knew I was just using humor to get my point across. We told each other to have a good day, and parted ways.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:35:16 PM EDT
It's real hard to wear a vest if you're working in 100 degree weather with high humidity (like it is here) - especially if you're working a wreck on a black top road. It's also easy if you work days to think not much happens on the day shift - or if you're in a small quiet town. But I agree with you, you never know. The last officer killed in this area was shot around 9:00 am (in a rural area) and he wasn't wearing his vest. [:(]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2003 1:19:13 PM EDT by cmoth]
I used to work in that kind of climate (Tx) and NEVER went one day on the job without wearing my vest. My last day at work before moving to ND was a fun-filled day of traffic control for college graduations. Black-top 4-way intersection, no shade, got up to 114 and about 80% humidity, horid. It was a 14 hour day with about 5 30min breaks to cool down. I had a bottle of gatorade hidden under a traffic cone that I drained every 5 min. A guy in a squad came by and refilled it for me every 20 out of a cooler we had. I literally had salt deposits leaching through my Hi-Techs, collecting on my duty rig, collecting on my shirt, crusting up on my forearm. I don't even want to think about what my vest smelled like when I took it off that evening. The day you get shot may be the day you're wearing it, maybe not. I would rather risk heat-stroke.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:23:38 PM EDT
Here in the desert of Washington, it gets up to 105 and higher in the summer all the time. When I was a cop, I wore my Second Chance with my shock plate in all the time. That's why I bought the thing. To stop bullets and knives. Of course it didn't do any good stopping the guy who beat my head in. But that's another story. ED
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:34:14 PM EDT
The day you get shot may be the day you're wearing it, maybe not.
View Quote
My point, exactly. Why tempt fate? Of course, hopefully, the day any of you guys gets shot [b]NEVER[/b] comes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:36:47 AM EDT
i know it gets hot, but no matter hot the weather is it'll never be as hot as .45 cal lead in the chest. besides who wants there family to say at your funeral, "At least he stayed cool at work."
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:48:52 AM EDT
Top Top