Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/25/2003 11:16:33 PM EDT
I’m interested to learn more about law enforcement as a career. What training and schooling is required? How long does it take? How much does it cost? What are the requirements for SWAT? How often do you get to shoot? What do you get to shoot? What banned weapons can you buy as an officer? Who pays for the firearms and ammo? How much do you get paid? I’m 6’7”; are there tall cops or SWAT? I realize that a lot of these questions depend on where you live, but any information will be helpful. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:14:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SaranWrap: I’m interested to learn more about law enforcement as a career. What training and schooling is required? For california How long does it take? Academy is 6 months long, FTO is 4 months long How much does it cost? Free if you're hired. As a non hire? no clue What are the requirements for SWAT? My dept. Specalist team (3 years patrol) TAC (5 years patrol) academy time doens't count. How often do you get to shoot? on duty (regular patrol) at least once a month depending on your work schedule. What do you get to shoot? Patrol: dept issued hand gun and shotgun What banned weapons can you buy as an officer? Don't know Who pays for the firearms and ammo? Dept pays for it. How much do you get paid? starting is about $50,000 base. add in 6-1/4 night differental and add more money for intermediate and advanced certificates. It takes 5 years to top out. I’m 6’7”; are there tall cops or SWAT? yes I realize that a lot of these questions depend on where you live, but any information will be helpful. Thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:47:14 PM EDT
All of your questions depend on what state your in and the department you work for. On average I would say that: 1.The Accademy is 4 to 6 months long. An AA, BA or Military are going to make it much easier to get on. I put my self through and it cost me around $1500. 2. Our SWAT team has a PT and then a probationary time of 6 months. Most guys are hand picked before even trying out. 3. We run ranges two to three times a month. Anyone can come to any of the ranges. Other agencies have an open range available every day. Some only shoot once a year and you pay for the ammo. 4. We qual with our handguns, shotguns and what ever rifle you have gotten issued or authorized. 5. No NFA. Most guys buy LEO AR's because they can have an M4 stock and they are cheeper than a pre-ban. 6. My department issues handguns and shotguns and a few rifles. The department pays for .40 S&W, .12 gage and .223 only. 7. Not a lot but enough to get the bills paid. 8. Not always. We have had guys as short as 5'5" on our team. It has more to do with who you are and what you bring to the team. Now you should have asked about divorce rates and medical problems. As a career these are bigger issues for the long run. To give you an idea. The national divorce rate for LEO's is around 70%. We medical and stress out more of our guys each year than we loose to retirment and changing departments/career combined.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:43:29 PM EDT
The director of the basic academy that I"m starting on 7/21 commented that LEO turns non-drinkers into alcoholics inside of 5 years. CA intensive basic academy is 788 hours/20 weeks thru the Junior College. Brian
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:42:07 PM EDT
If your going to do it, make sure it is for the right reasons. This job is PEOPLE. If you don't like working with the public, or get annoyed easily when people ask you dumb questions, please look for another line of work. If your main goal is getting on a SWAT/CERT team so you can shoot AR's and MP-5. Go join the military instead. You will have to be a road cop for a few years before ever being considered for special ops or the Detective bureau. Ride along with your local PD or Sheriff one night and see what you think.....then ride on a Tuesday night between 2200 and 0600 and see what you think. From your questions It sounds like you want someone to hand you machine guns and unlimited ammo, and then tell you to just go out and bang away at the range all day............good luckm It will never happen.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:10:45 AM EDT
Forget all the gun questions. Start working on your typing skills. You will spend way more time on reports than you will ever spend on guns. And guns, well, should you ever use one- even more freakin paperwork, PLUS the lawsuits.......................... School is 14 weeks in Ks. Your dept pays for it. What SWAT? You are required to qual once a year. Banned weapons will get you a visit from BATFE. I pay for my 45 ammo, dept pays for 40 S&W only. Not enough, most cops I know with a couple of kids qualify for the reduced rates on their kids lunches at the school. The last officer survival school I went to was taught by a SWAT type from Tulsa PD who was 6'06. DAMN GOOD INSTRUCTOR.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:23:40 AM EDT
[b]schv[/b] I really liked what you had to say especially. You are right I would not be joining for all the right reasons, and would end up not being very happy. That is why I have so much respect for those that serve as LEO and protect our lives. Thanks to the rest of you for your responses and information. It is very interesting. I would imagine with the movie "SWAT" coming out you might get more questions like mine. I do have one more question, but I will put it in another thread. Look back in the LEO forum.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:22:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 7:25:53 PM EDT by schv]
Originally Posted By SaranWrap: [b]schv[/b] I really liked what you had to say especially. You are right I would not be joining for all the right reasons, and would end up not being very happy. That is why I have so much respect for those that serve as LEO and protect our lives. Thanks to the rest of you for your responses and information. It is very interesting. I would imagine with the movie "SWAT" coming out you might get more questions like mine. I do have one more question, but I will put it in another thread. Look back in the LEO forum.
View Quote
I'm glad you are intelligent and mature enough to listen....that shows a lot of character..bravo!!! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Top Top