Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2003 7:29:49 PM EDT
I've been given the task by one of the Captains to research this specific topic.  At this time the department does not allow officers to purchase weapons such as the AR-15A3, etc. on department letterhead.  If you would, supply me with what steps your department went through to have this passed.  Also, I would like to get a copy of your departments policy and produres related to this topic.  I do understand this is a sensitive topic as far as giving out this type of information.  Therefore, you can check me out as being legitimate.  I work for the Asheboro Police Department in North Carolina.  The departments address is 205 East Academy Street, Asheboro, NC 27203.  The phone number is (336) 626-1300.  Please make any mailings directed to my attention (Kevin Ingold).  I know these questions will come up when I am asked so advise me on them.  When an officer leaves the department and does not go to another law enforcement position can this person still legally own this weapon?  Can an officer who works at an agency that does not allow its officers to make a weapon purchase on dept. letterhead purchase a restricted weapon from another officer from another agency?  As far as the second question, one of the officers within the dept. was told by an ATF agent that yes he could purchase the weapon from the officer of another agency

Thanks, everything is greatly appreciated
Kevin
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It is my understanding that if you leave the agency (no longer a LEO), that you must relinquish restricted items to the Dept. or another Officer.  As far as purchasing restricted items from another officer, It is my understanding that federal law does not prohibit this practice.  It is only required to be purchased on Agency letterhead when being purchased from a dealer so that he has proof of disposition for BATFE if needed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Sgtkiwi- If your dept is decent enough once you donate the LEO eqip to them they can give it back to you, upon retirement.there is a BATF form that allows retired LEO's to own property this way.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, here's a follow up question. I bought my AR (16" Bushy Shorty)from another officer and my dept. does not allow us to buy them on letterhead or use them on-duty. Am I in violation by owning it for personal use? When I retire can I give them the stripped lower receiver and keep the rest?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top