Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 12:45:08 PM EDT
How in the world do EMTs put food on the table, and a roof over their heads? My EMT-B course cost $700, the text books were $87.50. I just went and bought a stethoscope, BP cuff, Field Guide and pen light. Those were $110 and I didn't buy the expensive stuff. The state board exam is $150. Pay for an EMT-B, we were told, is about $10 an hour.

Now I'm not taking this class to be a full time EMT, but rather as an adjunct to some of my other activities, and because it's just good knowledge. Fortunately, I can afford these things. I don't see how anyone can survive doing this as their sole income.

As an update, class is going great and I'm really enjoying it, although it now takes up most of my life. 50 hours of my regular job, 16 hours of class and about 30 hours of studying a week, there's not much left for shooting and watching baseball. We've learned a lot already, including AED, but we're not even 1/4 way through the class. I didn't study this much in college [;)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
EMT-Basic is simply an entry level gig. Around here, no one simply works full-time as an EMT-B. It's used as a prerequesite for either a paramedic class or a firefighters position, or as a resume buffer for law enforcement jobs.
Even when I worked as a basic, it was a side gig. I'd hate to really try to make a living at it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Scheduled O.T. is the ony way ours can make it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Every EMT-B I know (including myself) only works part-time for EMS, we all have full-time, better paying jobs and just do the squad thing for experience/fun.

Sarge
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I only use my EMT as a Vol. with the Search and Rescue, and Fire Dept. My fulltime Job is a 9-1-1 dispatcher.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top