Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/20/2003 8:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2003 8:37:54 PM EDT by Wave]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:39:25 PM EDT
Maybe a shot from the taser would give you the stand-off distance you need so you wouldn't end up running him over? /sarcasm
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:58:44 AM EDT
Department policy forbids pursuits of motorcycles. It's all part of the "kinder and gentler" mode of law enforcement. If the rider fails to stop, and the officer could pursue, and the rider/passenger should get hurt because they refused to obey the law, it would obviously be the officer's fault for forcing them to flee.....Of course no responsibility would lie with the cyclist.... Sarcasm aside, sounds like you did everything you could have done under the circumstances. It always pays to remember that your agency will throw you to the wolves if the public & press decide you were at fault for some scumbag's death or injury....
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:58:46 PM EDT
Ramming a motorcycle is definitely the same as shooting the driver, it is deadly force. If you're not justified in shooting him, you're not justified ramming him either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:09:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Langadune: Ramming a motorcycle is definitely the same as shooting the driver, it is deadly force. If you're not justified in shooting him, you're not justified ramming him either.
View Quote
That's the way it works around here too. We have to get clearance for a Pit maneuver and no one can remember the last time anyone but OHP got clearance for that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:24:17 PM EDT
Wave, what's NYPD policy on chasing motorcycles for traffic violations?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:48:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:23:50 AM EDT
Our pursuit policy limits us to 3 minutes or 3 miles unless we get supervisor approval. It usually needs to be more than a traffic violation to get approval. It would be called off before those limits if the driver was doing something to endanger himself or others. We would also consider ramming the motorcycle to be deadly force. I did see an officer do a PIT maneuver on a motorcycle on Real TV though. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:45:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:50:19 AM EDT
Wave, Better safe than indicted. Mike
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:26:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Wave: PIT maneuver? [>:/]
View Quote
[url=http://www.lynsprat.com/pit.html]Precision Imobilization Technique[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:04:36 PM EDT
No ramming allowed, so the PIT manuver is out. Come on Ray, don't you watch Cops? No road blocks, spike strips, etc...Basically in the city you won't have a pursuit unless the perp has killed someone. The news is already having a field day on accident last week. Also there aren't suposed to be more than 2 Sector cars involved. Usually one unit and the Patrol supervisor. This of course is the patrol guide version. What's done in the field is another story, I know, but after the accident last week and the whole thingy with "no knock" debacle, it's a good thing you didn't have an accident with that shmuck.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:15:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:39:04 PM EDT
Wave, what are some of the things motorcycles do in the city that make them so hard to catch?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:46:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:02:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:51:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Striker: A guy I went to school with (we were still in school) tried to out run the Mounties on a 750 Seca. He stayed ahead of them for quite a while until the officer bumped his back wheel with the cruiser. When it was all said and done the car was on top of him and the bike. All because he had a bag of weed on him. [rolleyes]
View Quote
Yes! [b]Another victory in the war on drugs (TM).[/b] I assume you have one of those up north, too? I'm guessing that the guy you went to high school with didn't make it home that day? At least the Mounties did, and that's what counts!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:27:23 PM EDT
OUR SHERIFF, CONSIDERS A VEHICLE PURSUIT TO BE A USE OF FORCE, IN FACT DEADLY FORCE. ALTHOUGH THE CONTINUATION OF THE PURSUIT AND THE TERMINATION OF THE PURSUIT, IS AT THE OFFICERS DISCRETION, BUT CAN BE OVERRIDDEN BY SHIFT SUPERVISOR. I WAS INVOLVED IN A PURSUIT 2 MONTHS AGO. CHASED THE SUSPECT FOR APPROXIMATELY 4 MILES, THEN BROKE OFF THE PURSUIT, DUE TO HIM SWERVING INTO ON COMING TRAFFIC. THE SUSPECT, CONTINUED AT A HIGH RATE OF SPEED, AFTER I HAD DISCONTINUED AND WENT INTO A TREE AT 73 MPH ABOUT 3 MILES ON DOWN THE ROAD. AUTOPSY REVEALED ALCOHOL AND COCAINE IN HIS SYSTEM. WORST PART OF THE WHOLE THING WAS THAT I HAD IDENTIFIED HIM AT THE TIME OF THE STOP AND REGARDLESS IF HE HAD ELUDED PURSUIT, I STILL WOULD HAVE ISSUED A WARRANT. HE ENDED UP KILLING HIMSELF OVER A DUI.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:42:42 PM EDT
AUTOPSY REVEALED ALCOHOL AND COCAINE IN HIS SYSTEM.
View Quote
He must have grown up idolizing Rodney King.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:13:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2003 11:16:05 AM EDT by kay9]
Damn, I thought my agency had the most retarded, anal retentive pursuit policy. Sounds like I was wrong. I hate the current attitude of police agencies and politicians on pursuits. When will these idiots realize that the criminals initiate pursuits, and they made themselves a felon when deciding to run. If the fleeing driver is creating a danger to the public by driving recklessly, lethal force should be authorized. He is KNOWINGLY putting the public in significant risk of serious bodily harm or death. Fucking retards.... I now put fictitious plates on all my cars, and when some cop tries to stop me, I just run, cuz I can, and they wont do shit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:17:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:34:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wave:
Originally Posted By kay9: I now put fictitious plates on all my cars, and when some cop tries to stop me, I just run, cuz I can, and they wont do shit.
View Quote
Perps already know this...
View Quote
I haven't put fictitious plates on my bike, I just put the license plate so far up under the seat by the rear well there is no way to see it unless you are squatting behind the bike and looking up. That way highway can't read it off the video cameras in their cars either.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:37:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:23:06 PM EDT
Top Top