Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2003 2:30:42 AM EDT
My department has authorized the carry of a long gun.  I'm considering the Colt AR-15 or the M-4.  As a K9 handler, weight/size is a consideration.  The M-4 has the shorter barrel (14.5 vs 16.1) and is about 1.5 lbs lighter.  My question is this:  Will I sacrifice long range accuracy by going with the M-4?  Although CQB/entry will be primary concern, I want to be confident with the long range shot as well.  Anyone owning or having used the M-4 have any input?  Thanks, LB
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think accuracy is a concern but you will have to pay $200 for the short-barreled rifle tax stamp if you don't plan to permanently attach a flash suppressor that makes the barrel at least 16".  If you plan to go with the $200 stamp, you might as well go with a 10.5" upper.  But then you do start to lose a little bit at long range due to reduced velocity from the shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#2]
 LB

GO with a folding stock 16.1 barrel
Then the weight/size issue is almost
the same. The handling and preformance
will be on par with each other.
The m4 will not necesarily be a better
weapon for CBQ,the exter 1/12 inch of  
barrel will be a big factor in long
range shots {150-250}yard. But should not
hamper CBQ movement.WHatever you chose
practice, practice, practice.
BE safe
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#3]
For your purposes go with the M4.  

Nuff Said
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Just FYI, I just got back from Rifle Carbine School for my PD. I am now carrying in my squad a Rock Rive Arms M4 Tactical Entry LEO with the RRA 6 Position Collapsible Stock. It is nice and small/compact with the stock collapsed for carrying and room entry. I have also found it to work great with the stock extended out when longer distance shooting is required.

My rifle came with two sling attachments up front, one on the side and one on the bottom. I bought a GG&G Rear Sling Thing for the RRA rear stock and a GG&G Receiver Sling Plate. So, with the stock bottom mounted sling attachment I have 3 sling attachment points in the rear. With the front two and the rear three, I can adjust the sling indefinately. Also, for slings, may I HIGHLY suggest the Eagle Tactical 3 Point Sling. Simply awesome.

So basically, I would highly suggest the M4. Out dept. two K9 handlers both carry,use M4s and they seemthe like them alot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Just went to Instructor School for AR15. They said avoid the muzxzle breaks, too much noise for the guy next to you. Only one guy out of 30 had a barrel shorter than 16.1". I would save the $200 tax stamp and put it towards a sight, EO Tech or ampoint. LPD Center Mass  School?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
7ring,
The school was a basic patrol rifle carbine school. It was a two day course which consisted of basic AR15 nomenclature(classroom) and then a shooting hands on portion (range). Officers must pass a written test and must also be able to meet the minimum shooting qualification standards in order to carry the rifle on duty. Shooting took place at 3 different stages with a total rounds of qualification of something like 120 rounds. It was really my second time shooting my RRA AR15 and I had no trouble passing. It wish it had been alittle more in depth and advanced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top