Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2002 9:48:47 AM EDT
I posted this in GD, but realised it was in the wrong place and deleted it..

SO here goes..

I have about had it with semiconductors...

I am filling out an aplication today for a corrections officer position...

Any of you guys work in this field? Any advice?
What should I expect?

Man I've changed jobs before but this will be a MAJOR change..

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Striker gave a lot of sound advice. The most important of which is the last one.....NEVER forget where you are.

If you need any help or info, Email me offline. I will be glad to try and help you understand the ins and outs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll agree with Striker, also. And I'll add... a sense of humor, a sense of priorities, and a real healthy dose of skeptisism. You'll find there's plenty to laugh at...even at just the irony. You'll also want to be careful around some of your "fellow workers". Some will be stand-up, some won't. Some you'll trust with your life, and you'll be glad of who they've proved themselves to be, and some will give you every reason to be glad you only work with them.
You keep your word, remember who you are, and make it your goal to go home to who you care for.   eMail if you need to vent or talk.
(BTW, I ran a crew of State inmates that built a work camp, then went Federal; BOP now for 12+ yrs)  Good luck and  Stay safe
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I was a telecom engineer for 15 years.  Got laid off in the big downturn March of 2001 as a director of a startup in Petaluma, CA.  Just completed my 5th week at the CA Dept of Corrections Academy in Galt and am loving every minute.  Go for it, it took one year from application to academy.  These guys echo all the sage info the instructors are passing on.  Get into shape as I never expected to do so much PT....Cheers
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of good advice so far.  Keep in mind, corrections is probably the most negative aspect of the criminal justice system, not everyone is cut out for it.   You will need more patience than you ever thought you had available.  That and the ability to leave the job at work.  No matter how hard an inmate tries to get your goat, remember, you are going home at the end of your shift.

FYI, 13 of my 24 years behind a badge have been in corrections.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
sorry to take so long. I don't know how much help I can be due to the fact I work in the Canadian system.
Characteristics that you should posses.
Very thick skin.
Cool head
Be able to think on your feet.
Excellent communication skills.
The ability to read peoples body language.
Good physical condition.
Patience (you will be dealing with a lot of wannabe punks)
The ability to keep your emotions in check.
And the most important characteristic [b]common sense[/b]. You wouldn't believe the people that leave that at home.
Our job is much like police in that your shift can go to hell in a heartbeat.
Prisons (med & max's) are very violent places.
Our job is extremely stressful and you should have a plan to deal with it before you go on the job.
There are some interesting aspects of our job that you wouldn't think about. I've been in an OR on numerous occasions watching inmates being operated on.
I've gone to work and ended up 3 hours away picking up an inmate that was unlawfully at large.
Our job can be extremely routine and boring as well. You should be prepared for that too.
The upside is..you (well me anyway) get to work with a great bunch of people and believe it or not..we do have a lot of fun at times.
The pay and benefits are good. Pension we are trying to improve.
The one piece of advise I give all new recruits "[b]never ever forget where you are working"![/b]
Good luck if you decide to go in that direction.
View Quote

Striker,

I used to work at a Juvenile Detention facility.  My question is:

Is a Canadian Maximum Security facility closer to a Minimum Security Facility in the States or a Youth Offender Facility?

Please advise,

QC[;)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I hear Millhaven is supposed to be pretty harsh
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#10]
A friend of mine just started in the local county jail.  So far, he has been assaulted four times...the last of which, his partner took a strike from a hand cuffed inmate right across the nose.  

He has a better relationship with the inmates in his pod then most officers, which helps.  He is always respectful, but still firm and keeps his authority.  Our local sheriff took away all TV, weights, etc....so the state and federal transfer guys hate staying there.  They seem to be the most violent.

He has always told me that no matter what, he has to always remind himself of where he is...no matter how freindly some inmates may seem.

COMPLACENCY = INJURIES
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top