Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2002 6:23:17 AM EDT
i was wondering how "betadine" for wound care compares to plain iodine.

what i was wondering , was that since i had about 10 or 12 of the little 1/2 oz bottles, if i could throw some in the survival kits for water purification, like regular iodine??

BTW on the bottle, the formula for betadine is 10% povidone-iodine, with some glycerine and citric acid.

thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess if you don't mind the taste or having your water look like ditch water it probably won't kill ya. (wouldn't consider it a replacement for iodine tablets, but then my GO-BAG contains a proper water filter & several water filter straws for expedient filtering).

BTT, for other comments,
Mike

Link Posted: 11/22/2002 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah, same here, i have a survival straw and katadyn purifier, but i like to have other options, i know iodine was a purification option, i just didn't know to what extent.

(edited to add that there is a BIG difference between filtering and purifying)
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
It'll work....tastes terrible but it will purify the water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top