Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2002 10:21:06 PM EDT
By dept. regulations, I can only carry a Sig 239, 228 or Glock 26 9mm off duty.  Looking for opinions, experiences and pros and cons on which I should choose.  Im currently leaning towards a 228.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
if the glock 19 was a choice I would choose it, but with those listed I would go with the 228
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
For some reason they require you to carry a small pistol?

I guess that part of the decision would depend upon what you carry when on duty.  If I were making the choice, I'd go with a pistol that was familiar.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry a 226 on duty.  Im looking for something easier to conceal.  The 228 is still a little hard to hide, but I hate the short grip on the Glock 26. Jim
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I chose the G26 for 2 reasons.  It was the lightest/smallest of my choices and I could use the mags from my service weapon (G19) in a pinch. For you, other than the size, I couldn't think of a good reason for th G26.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
228.  I don't like the way the baby Glocks feel.  The 228 has the same controls as your duty 226, and they're fairly easy to conceal with the right gear.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 3:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the glock for concealability.  With a little practice, you won't even notice the short grip of the Glock.  Sig doesn't know how to make a nice, concealable off-duty/back-up gun.

BTW, I love my 229, so it's not like I am anti-Sig, just for the bug or off-duty gun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 4:20:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#10]
To start with, I am a sig lover.  I own a sig 226 and sig 228.  I do not carry and am not a law enforement officer.  I am in the process of applying for a CCW.  I know my sigs are heavy and would prevent me from wanting to carry them.  I friend has a glock 26 and I shot it a few weeks back.  It was very light and enjoyable to shoot. I am not a glock fan but it was light and easy to shoot. It did have the finger extenders.  I since purchased a nib glock 26 from Costa Arms online here.  It will be in my hands within two weeks.  If you want someting light, relieable and easy to shoot-go with the glock 26.  Get the pierce extenders for the mags.  Good luck.  Ralph
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's another vote for the Glock 19, the 26's grip is just to short.

7th
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
For starters what's wrong with the company gun off duty?Most off duty officers have a tendancy to leave home or at the office all other equipment except for the gun.To repeat what has been said many times,the duty gun is;1)most familiar,2)full size with a full ammo compliment,3)theirs if it must sit in the evidence room for a year or two,4)the most defensible under any shooting situation.I am not a 9mm fan,but,since that's the only  choices you have if the duty gun is out then go with the 228.You can still find 13 round magazines for it.If you prefer something more concealable then the 239 has the thinnest profile.Good luck be safe out there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Guys....the guy said either the Glock  26 or the sig  228 or 239.... the sig 239 is really a back up gun as well as the G-26..the sig 228 is used as bothe ..but primarily as a duty gun. Things to factor in:

1 mag capacity -(I know LEO that is not an issue unless you use a 17 rounder in the G26 ..sorta odd.
2 Weight- the sig 228 is not a light firearm with the S/S slide. The G26 is gonna be lighter than the p228 0r the p239.
3 Finish- I carried a p229 in .40 working Narcotics undercover for a while and I got used to just dropping the gun in the small of my back with no holster.
after one hot summer of sweating on the slide release,mag release, grip screws some rust began to hit these areas....only on the side facing my back. so I switched back to the G-23
no rust.  In carring off duty or undercover it is not the same as the normal level III holster gun which doesnt come out "ususlly" unless you are in the sally port getting ready to go inside the booking area. Where as your off duty weapon becomes part of you and is kept more close to your person.  Example: when ya wake up on a sunday morning and the wife or kids or Girlley friend asks you to run to the supermarket to get some coco puffs and you are standing in your jogging pants fresh out of bed ...are ya gonna get dressed put your new pretty holster with belt, jeans or are you going to grab your sidearem stick it in your waist band and run to the store?  I love sigs...own and carry the p229 in 357 now..but glocks are hard to beat...tough choice!! Buy both and alternate until ya find the right one, then sell the other or keep it as a back-up either way you cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
228's a little bulky, and I don't cotton much to the feel of the baby Glock either.  I've owned and carried a 239 in .40, and it was a dream.  Easily my favorite CCW so far.  I don't know about a single stack nine milli, tho.  I suppose my rec would be to take the 228; I've carried it as a duty weapon, and it suited me fine.  It's also the most similar to your duty weapon.  It's a bit bulky, but you can suck it up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell your department is a little undergunned with a 9 . I'd see if you could get a Sig 239 in 9mm . If they say yes , ask them about a 40 or a 357 Sig ! worth a try ?

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#16]
If it were me I'd go with the either Sig. I'm personally not a big Glock fan. I carry a 226 on duty and since no other Sig is authorized by my department,I use a Kahr K9 off duty. As a side note my department(NYPD)has just ordered all Glock 19's turned in for new ones due to defect. That's for 24,000 of them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top