Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 11:38:26 AM EDT
i just watched HEAT for the gazillionth time, and i was wondering.
what part of this is hard to understand, YOU WILL GET CAUGHT.
i mean, realistically, what chance do these guys think they have in getting away with this?
it looks real cool on TV and everything, but how many robbery attempts are successful?
being in LE, luckily i haven't come across an actual "robbery in progress" type situation, but does anyone know the actual statistics on getting away with it? i remember attending an FBI seminar regarding this, but don't remember the stats.
come on, how stupid do you have to be to not realize    1)the money is marked or sequential
          2) the silent alarm will be tripped IMMEDIATELY
          3)law enforcement PREPARES FOR THIS!
(edited to ask if you have any moron bank robber stories, like the guy who wrote the stickup note on his phone bill and left it at the bank)

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually, the note passers (no violence, just give the teller a note) usually do get away. A local guy had been robbing banks out of the state for about 7 years, until a security guard put a slug in him.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression that most bank robberys are sucessful, it is mostly the idiots who get caught right away. The pros who get caught later are the ones who allow their pattern to be discerned. If memory serves the area within a 100 mile radius of Ft. Bragg used to be the biggest bank robbery area in the US. It stands to reason that a large collection of young unattached healthy males who worke together as armed teams and love to take risks will tend to, well, take risks. Most were never caught.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Most get caught?  One local guy didn't get caught until his 17th job (don't know what percentage was bank robberies, the paper didn't mention that).  Then, the only reason he got caught was someone fixed a hole he had previously cut in a fence.  That blocked his escape route, and he was physcially unable to climb over the four foot fence.  Think about that.  A successful bank robber couldn't climb over a 4' chainlink fence, but was able to evade the police that many times.  If he could do that, think how well someone in good health could do.z
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top