Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2002 5:14:37 AM EDT
Like every other patriotic American, the 9/11 attacks have left me pissed off and wanting to do something to help my country.  At 37 I'm too old to join the service.  I've been thinking I'd like to get into law enforcement - preferably K9 handling.  A friend mentioned that maybe I should look into a part time job as a special deputy - and see how I like it.  I'm already working on doing a couple of "ride-alongs" over my 4th of July vacation.

Can anybody give me advice on how to get started, what I need to do, etc?  Do I need a college degree in law enforcement, or is there an academy or something similar?

BTW - I've already shared this with my wife and daughters and they said "Go for it!"  I was a little surprised at that...

Thanks for any / all input & stay safe.  1*

-kid
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#1]
a3kid,
    Reserve Deputy status usually requires a class room portion and ride along time. In some jurisdictions it pays and in some you even have to supply all of your equipment. In Ar. you have a 110 hour class part and 40 hours of riding. Then you are on probation and ride with a certified officer for a year. Good luck.
    As far as joining the military you can join the Navy Reserve in the NPSAC or APG program  and you enter as a E-4 or E-5 and train on your drill weekends and correspondence and then go to great lakes for 2 weeks of abbreviated basic training. The basic counts as your first years drill.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You refer to "special deputy" I think you mean what is in Ohio more commonly called "Reserve Deputy". They are paid part time sworn Deputies of the Sheriffs Office. You will need to attend an Ohio Peace Officers Training Council approved Basic Peace Officers Academy and take the complete course. Many Sheriffs Offices have their own OPOTA approved academics. I think you will be happy with it if you choose to do so. Keep in mind that S.O.'s are political and you most likely will be required (although not legal) to contribute money to the Sheriffs re election campaign to keep you position. As far as I know reserve Deputies don't enjoy the same degree of civil service protection as full time deputies and you can be terminated at the whim of the Sheriff. It helps to have referrals such as Deputies or Police Officers that you might know or politicians that share party affiliation with the local Sheriff. Give your county Sheriff a call and inquire. Hopefully you are registered to vote and with the same party affiliation as the Sheriff. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:16:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  It's been a long time - almost 10 years since I've set a real long-term goal for myself.  Taking care of the family & bills has kept my goals on the "bi-weekly" level, if you know what I mean.

seb127 & Sukebe - You're right.  I should have used the term Reserve Deputy.

A couple more questions.  110 class hours - is this the actual number of hours one has to spend in class, or is it more like college where one spends 10 hours a week in class for 12 weeks to gain 5 credit hours?

Upon completion of the required coursework, etc - one would be qualified also to be an actual Deputy, not just a Reserve Deputy?  For now I'm thinking part-time Reserve, but if I find I really enjoy it, I'd be able to take a full time Deputy's position?

Additionally - to answer the political question for those who mentioned it.  I'm fortunate in that our local Sheriff is one of the most conservative, right-wing Republicans in the state of Ohio.  He's actively speaking out in favor Ohio's CCW bill, and openly criticizing the OSP, Ohio Police Chief's Assocition & Gov. Taft for not allowing it to pass.  He's got the kind of guts that will get him re-elected in this county.  I think he'd be a good guy to work for.

seb127 - what's NPSAC / APG?  I've never looked at the Navy opportunities much.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:57:06 AM EDT
[#5]
a3kid,

The 110 hour class and ride time is just for reserve status in Ar. Each state has their own Commission on Standards. Most progressive departments in Ar. now require 12 weeks at 1 of 3 state run acadamies (ALETA), and 12 weeks with a FTO(field training officer), for a total of 960 hours for a full time certified officer.

NPSAC, non prior service ascension program and APG, advanced pay grade are programs in the naval reserve that basically give you credit for the skills you have aquired in the civilian world that apply to the navys needs. In my own case I ran an construction crew for several years before going into law enforcement. The navy needed Seabees, so I joined in the above mentioned programs. The programs have been in use since the 70's and according to the navy are successful. Check it out with a Navy Reserve recruiter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#6]
seb127!

You're kidding me, right?  I've got an engineering degree and years of experience running high-end computer aided drafting machines (CAD) - specifically in the automotive industry.  What's freaking me out is this:  The software package I'm running at work is none other than the same package that the [b]Department of Defense[/b] runs....unbelieveable!!

I need to look into this option some more.

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
What County are you in?

I used to be a Special/Dispatcher in Medina County.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:55:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In ohio the Reserve / Special deputy status generally requires completing the full Basic Peace officers academy.  This usually takes about 15 weeks of nights and weekends.  There is not distinction in training requirements between full time and part time / reserve officers.  In Ohio a cop is a cop regardless of pay classification.  Reserves however do not usually enjoy civil service protection and are at will employees.  Retiring after 15 years of full time service ( now just waiting to hit the age) and going into the private sector I work 16 hours per month as a reserve for a whopping $1 per year.  I do it because I like it and always have, plus stay street legal.  It is very rewarding.  If I had to do it over again, I think I would have stayed a reserve out of college and gone to law school, but no regrets it was a great career, patrolman through chief and now even happier as a reserve.
View Quote

Thanks.  This is [u]exactly[/u] the information I have been looking for.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:59:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What County are you in?

Jay
View Quote

I'm in Allen county.  Home of the infamous [b]Sheriff Dan Beck[/b], the most conservative right wing pro 2nd Amendment peace officer I've ever run into.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What County are you in?

Jay
View Quote

I'm in Allen county.  Home of the infamous [b]Sheriff Dan Beck[/b], the most conservative right wing pro 2nd Amendment peace officer I've ever run into.
View Quote

You haven't run into me yet !!!
Sounds like a good guy to work for.

Jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top