Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2002 9:15:47 AM EDT
Ok here's the deal.  I'm on duty the other night driving northbound on a freeway feeder road when I get to a red light controlled intersection.  I have the green light and I begin to enter the intersection.  This other vehicle on the cross street runs the red light and is headed directly for me.  So I brake and make a hard left to avoid hitting him.  I was able to steer clear of him but I couldn't make the 90 degree turn and end up driving over a few concrete medians and blow out my tires and rims and bend the front axle on my patrol car.   The accident investigator gets there from another agency to work the accident(that's out dept policy to have another agency work it).  She is a jerk from the start and tells me I'm entirely at fault for the accident regardless that the other vehicle runs the red light and comes into the intersection.  She says that if I would have hit the other vehicle than it would be the other driver's fault.  Even though me and the other vehicle did not collide it's still considered a non contact unit. If I would have hit the other vehicle I would have been hurt and would have had to go to the hospital.  Luckily I wasn't hurt.  It just ticks me off that the other officer was such a b#^$h and acted totally unprofessional.  Ok...enough of my rant.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Check your email...
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't tell me, DPS?

At the most, I could possibly see "Faulty Evasive Action" as a contributing factor on your part, but probably not. I would have put the other vehicle as a non-contact unit in the Unit Block, and they would have gotten anice big "X" on the back.

Glad to hear you are okay. I had a really minor fleet a few weeks back, myself. I was doing sneaky stuff and knocked a mailbox over while parking with my side mirror. The mailbox was sticking about a foot nto the street, and the wood was so rotten that the dang thing would have fallen over if I had BREATHED on it too hard. Of course, supervisor and Accident Reconstruction have to come by, as does everyone working the streets within a 10-mile limit. So much for being sneaky.

Fleets suck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
jadams951,

If I were doing the investigation, the report would show that the cause of the crash was due to the other vehicles violation of traffic laws and that your action was based on an attempt to avoid a collision, but the cause of this action was due to the other vehicle.  Sounds like you got someone who is pressured by their administration to avoid a "possible cover up" by making the police at fault, and this is less likely to get the public upset.  

Glad to hear your ok.  I don't know if you have a union, but I would be asking the union to look at it, or I would look at checking into a private accident reconstructionist to give you a report and fight it with the DMV or the other department.  Best of luck and stay safe!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I should have told the end... we questioned the accident officer's opinion so much she got pi$$ed and called her supervisor and her supervisor had her list the non contact at fault for the red light violation and then put faulty evasive action on me as a possible contributing factor.  It wasn't DPS.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not LE but for what it's worth it sounds to me like you did the right thing and the invesigator needs an attitude adjustment.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top