Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 6/10/2002 10:11:52 PM EDT
I was working tonight and I went to pull a pallet of freight out on the saling floor. There is a young lady shopping in shoes dress as so: Blue jeans. White T-shirt. White T-shirt has HUGE lettering on the back in navy blue declaring "POLICE". Smaller "POLICE" on each sleeve. Patch decal on the left breast of the front of T-shirt is from one of the local departments. FULLY LOADED GUNBELT ON HER WAIST, with radio buzzing and all.... She is with her hubby and two kids. Now, I am not sure I would want to advertise to every disgruntled con in Staunton that I am a cop, especially with my kids with me. I would go more for ANY NON-LEO OR GUNOWNER T-shirt and a nice SideArmor IWB holster. I don't mind some scumbags last thought being "Gee, that ain't a wallet..." I even said to one of my co-workers, "Could you live with it if some perp you busted a couple of months ago came up behind you, knocked you out, killed your kids WITH YOUR WEAPON, and then left you alive?" Scott
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 11:48:53 PM EDT
Nope. While I always carry, I (almost) never do so openly, and I don't wear anything that identifies me as a police officer. (or for that matter, rarely anything that would identify me as a gun owner.) I work in a small town, and figure that some people know I'm a cop, so I try to be in Condition Yellow if I'm out. Now having the full gunbelt gives you options that you wouldn't have otherwise, but having everything in the open means that you might as well be on duty! You're going to be approached by people with problems, not to mention making you and your family a target. This doesn't sound like a good plan at all. dp[0J] >>Any chance she was coming from on-duty? That sounds [i]almost[/i] like a special duty (bike patrol or something) uniform. Doesn't make that the right choice, but...
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:58:38 AM EDT
Shopping while on duty? That's like a big no-no especially during the holidays...
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:09:03 PM EDT
Ok, lets not jump to conclusions. She may have been coming back from a special detail and met the family to go shopping. She might have been coming from the range or something. Personally I have gone into stores in jeans, a police polo shirt and a duty belt. The thing is that I wouldn't do it with my wife and kids. Just wanted to say she may have been like that due to work. I also carry off-duty everywhere I go. EVERYWHERE, with the exception of MA, as I know they would lock me up if I got caught with a off-duty gun. Anyone carry handcuffs off-duty? I have a pair of cloth ones that are always with me, never even know I have them with me. They are great. Takes away the ammo for some stupid defense attorney to attack me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:04:11 PM EDT
Sounds OK as long as she’s armed. What distresses me is when a clearly unarmed LEO walks around with various police identifiers visible. Don’t know if they still do it, but I remember seeing Indiana State Troopers driving their families around grocery shopping and such in marked cruisers. That always struck me as unwise.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:13:32 AM EDT
Nope, Always carry, never in open. Never wear any POLICE apparel. Keep my badge in a seperate wallet, that way if I get held-up I can give them my wallet without tipping them off that I am a cop...until they turn their back. Also, so If I am at the counter and the hold-up man is behind me, waiting to rob the place he won't see my badge when I pay and just put a bullet in my head. Sounds like this gal was/is on a power trip.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:20:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2002 4:22:30 AM EDT by dpcop]
Originally Posted By Jake75: Anyone carry handcuffs off-duty? I have a pair of cloth ones that are always with me, never even know I have them with me. They are great.
View Quote
Yep, I always carry two sets of Tuff-ties, rolled up with a rubber band around them. [url]www.tufftie.com[/url] Much lighter and easier to carry, espically with the other stuff I already carry. (wallet, cell phone, keys, spyderco, gun & extra ammo) I also carry two set of them on duty, just as extras for the two sets of cuffs on my duty belt. Are you carrying extra ammo off-duty? Not so much for going through a lot of rounds (depending on what you're carrying) but some malfunctions are going to require a reload. dp
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 3:05:49 PM EDT
I agree with everyone here, never wear anything like that when im off or let anyone in my family were it. always carrying, i have ran into several people i've arrested at wal-mart, only one of them recognized me. tnrifleman.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 3:16:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:01:55 PM EDT
While it may be easy enough to explain why she was there, how hard is it to throw a t-shirt or something into a locker/car and take off your duty belt? Ya know just in case something like a spontaneous shopping trip with the family comes up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:46:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DarkHelmet: Well like it was said previously... don't jump to conclusions. She may have been on duty at the time. Possible Scenario. "Hey honey, I was going to go down and pick up that 'XX Item' we talked about. Can you swing by to take a look at it with me since the store is only open when you're on duty, etc." It may not have been the ideal situation and we don't know all the details. There may have been a good reason behind it.
View Quote
Wal*Mart #1344 Staunton Virginia SuperCenter=Open 24/7 Scott P.S. I don't think they even have bike cops here....
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:36:26 PM EDT
I don't like the shopping with the family in uniform. However I used to meet the wife and kids for dinner in uniform. Better ideas snuck into my little head. Now if they wamt to eat with me we meet at the station to eat. Off duty I try not to look like a LEO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:10:59 AM EDT
When I was a drinker we`d hang out at the far end of the bar between the door and the nitwits who had their NYPD shirts, hats and other "Look At Me" items. Gave us plenty of time to clear our weapons if the place got hit. In some states mutts won`t do anything with a cop in the place. I`d still spot them and avoid them as they`re target #1.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:39:31 PM EDT
Are you sure it was her husband and kids??
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:54:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bigyeti: Are you sure it was her husband and kids??
View Quote
No. But does it really make it a safer choice if she is tooling around playing "look at me" with [b]ANYONE'S[/b] kids? Scott
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:00:57 PM EDT
Top Top