Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2002 5:17:05 AM EDT
This happened back in January of this year, but it's never to late to say thanks.

I happened to run across woman who was standing in the middle of the road holding her lifeless 5-year-old daughter in her hands. The woman only spoke Spanish and my 19 yr cop Spanish is not that great, but time was wasting.
I'll skip all of the dramatics and in short summary, the girl had suffered a seizure and had stopped breathing. The mother had given her up for dead.
I yanked the girl from the mother's arms, something you never do with a hysterical Latin woman, and I started cpr.  
It felt like eternity, but in reality it was only a few short minutes and the girl through up.
BREATHING!

E.M.S. arrived and took over as they always do in a calm manner. The little girl was fine for the moment, but the cop was shaking real bad. I couldn't calm my hands down enough to write the report.
The paramedic was very thoughtful and took the extra time to explain to me what had happened, and that helped a lot. This may sound like no big deal to some people, but they took the time to make sure that I was OK, and that's real compassion in my book.
I've been shot at twice in my career, had two guns jammed in my stomach, and I've been hospitalized 6 times. I've been trapped in my own cruiser, and inside of other turned over vehicles, and always, always E.M.S. and the paramedics were there.
I've seen them bring people back from what I thought was death, and they have kept me going when I thought it was my death.

They are always there, they always care, and they're best of the best.

Thank You!!

TroDog          
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll second that thanks, Tro- they have also been there for me many times in my career.

Excellent job with the little girl.  I'm watching my 7-month-old daughter as I type this, and it brought a tear to my eye.  Seen too many kids who didn't make it.  God bless, brother.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Striker,
Yes, one good save can make a lasting impression. I need those every now and then.
I was awarded the departmental life saving award and officer of the month award. However, I believe that the little girl was saved by the grace of god, and not by anything particular that I did. I made mention of that point at the awards dinner as I was accepting the awards. I was a bit taken when after the dinner ceremony my wife came up to me and told me that a lot of people came up to her, after the ceremony, and commented that they had no idea that I had such a firm belief in god. Some of the command staff members have known me or of me for a great many number years in my career, and they had no idea that I held a strong reverence to god. It just struck me as funny. How do they think I'm still alive; by some great tactic or book that I've read,  I'm still here for the same reason that the little girl is still here with us.

My point of all this was, and don’t think I can ever make it  sound right, was that our rescue units are always there.
Performing CPR is really no big deal to rescue ( we refer to our paramedics as rescue here in South Fl). But, it is a major piece of work for an officer, particularly when your solo.
I’ve seen our rescue do AMAZING things, and they are ALWAYS calm and moving with lightning speed.
I think our rescue units in South Florida are the best in the country.

I just felt that they deserve their recognition while still performing in their life, and not just waiting until they sacrifice in their death.  

You all take good care!

TroDog

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:10:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been a paramedic for 8 years, and I always try to impress on the new medics that I train, that we are in a unique position in that we straddle a line between public safety and medicine. Often what we do is behind the closed doors of the ambulance, and what little recognition we do receive is from our peers or the emergency medicine community. I am grateful that my fellow public safety professionals also recognize the work that EMS does.
Remember EMS week is May 20th-24th. so while you guys are out on patrol, stop by the local EMS quarters to grab a coffee and to say HI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top