Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/25/2002 2:43:29 AM EDT
I am looking into a new LEO Colt 9mm mdl6450 semi and would like to know everybody's opinion on the gun. I have read instances of jamming on the subgun and am not looking for a lemon! Issued ammo will be 115gr Win JHP. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:08:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:41:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2002 4:24:43 PM EDT by Striker]
When you say "cycle", are you indicating a movement of the action and not a slam-fire type discharge? Cycling is one thing and an AD is another. See the following excerpt ... "The lead officer, who was carrying a 9-mm submachine gun in one hand and a shield in the other, stopped short and raised his weapon, said Robilotto and Det. Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick, commander of the Homicide Squad. As he did, a second officer, who was carrying a battering ram, tripped over a tree root and fell forward into the lead officer, causing the lead officer's weapon to discharge, Robilotto said." This was during what the press called a botched drug raid - I would like to think the shooting was due to negligence rather than a faulty weapon, as I would rather not carry a weapon that may potentially discharge and kill anything but the intended target. And as far as the aluminium goes - what gives? Is the block wearing from contace with the mag? Are these steel mags? It sounds like these might make a nice second choice to another AR! see the link for the AD/homicide [url]http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lishot212679088apr21.story?coll=ny%2Dlinews%2Dheadlines[/url] [blue]tweeked the link to make it active.[/blue]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 4:22:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 4:28:00 PM EDT
One thing worth mentioning is that 115gr ammo is probably the last thing you want to shoot in that carbine. They don't penetrate very much already, and with the increased velocity from the carbine could fragment or expand wayy to early. Stick to the heavy stuff for carbines if you can. The longer bbl will give them roughly the velocity of those 115gr's, with much more reliable penetration.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:43:12 PM EDT
A 223 Bushmaster is looking good now - irregardless of thew ammo cost!
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 3:03:58 AM EDT
I am quite familar with the R0635 subgun from Colt. The good: 1)Ergonomics and manual of arms commonwith other ARs; 2)Fast magazine changes; 3)A little bit more accurate than the MP5 (maybe-its hard to tell). The bad: 1) Frequent stoppages; extremely unreliable, although this seems to vary between individual weapons. Some work great. Others don't work at all. 2) Poorly designed magazines. They frequently spray rounds everywhere. This probably contributes to the reliability problems. Colt has supposedly figured out the reliability problems and redesigned the magazine block, increasing reliability. We are currently moving to more .223s and the 9mms will be coverted to training or dedicated supressed weapons systems over the next few years. If you have any choice in the matter, buy a .223 carbine. The ammo for .223s is going to havemuch better wound ballistics, better armor penetration, less over-penetration of suspects, walls and other barrier materials and will serve you better. Bushmasters generally go for $150 less than Colt, and they have much better customer service.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:19:26 PM EDT
I broke down and bought the Colt 9mm and the Bush M-4 223. Range reports to follow![}:D]
Top Top