Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/17/2002 7:10:03 AM EDT
I have heard some unconfirmed reports that other LE agencies are having reliability problems with using rail-mounted tactical lights on Glock 22s. Apparently the extra weight can interfere with the recoil operation of the weapons. Glock supposedly is recommending the use of heavier magazine springs (and maybe recoil springs) and only using Glock factory tac lights and lasers. As of yet, this has not been confirmed as a genuine report, but I thought I'd pass it along.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:38:37 AM EDT
At Glock Armorer's school they told us that story was due to shooter error (limp wrist), not the tactical light. We use the M3 and have never had a problem with our 21's.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:37:09 AM EDT
Actually, on the full size .40 caliber Glocks, Glock has determined that the added mass from weapon mounted systems such as the M3 and M6 actually INCREASE slide velocity. Due to this, the slide does not always lock to the rear after the last shot, since the slide stop lever has not popped up fast enough. This doesn't happen in all G22 and G35 pistols, just some. And this doesn't always happen with the same mags - just some (which leads me to believe that the slide velocity is increased to the "threshold" of speed for the slide stop lever - small variations cause the slide to either lock back or not). Glock recommends installing the 11 coil spring (Part Number SP02551) in the mags, but this reduces mag capacity by one round. People attending armorers schools are now being told of this. I've noticed this occassionally in one of my G22's (with M3 attached), but not really in the G35.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:17:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2002 8:19:03 PM EDT by Fozzy]
From personal experience, some of the all-metal surefire lights will overload the dustcover causing failures to feed. The polymer body lights form surefire and others work fine. They told us the same thing at armorers school- That the malfunctions are shooter-induced... I respectfully disagree.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:12:43 PM EDT
If the mags have one of the older-style followers, swapping them out for the newest version can help, too. I had that problem in my G35 with older followers, swapped them out and the problem went away. No problems at all with new LE mags that already had the new followers. We've also had this problem with the G21, same solution worked. Glock has a tendency to tell us that any problems with the gun are 'shooter-induced'. They make a nice pistol, but they seem to have trouble ever admitting that they're not perfect.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:26:13 PM EDT
They told us a bunch of BS, back in the Winter when I went back for recertification as a Glock LEO Armorer. I tried to get them to talk about the problems with the unsupported cases on the .40 caliber Glocks and they wanted to blame it on defective factory ammunition from what they alluded to be Federal... 7th
Top Top