Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 7:26:13 PM EDT
I have a paper I have to write for school I'm guessing this is going to be 99% of my grade since we are give now until November 29th to turn it in. Anyway here is what I need to do choose a topic for your research paper.  The topic must be a current issue of concern (existing problem) in the job you intend to pursue in the field of criminal justice (i.e. policing, private security, probation, court, corrections etc.).  A variety of a minimum five research sources must be used (i.e. books, professional journals, online articles, etc.).  A paper that consists of only online sites and/or journal articles is not considered credible research.  Presented during the research process include:  a) To complete an investigative paper in a chosen career field.  This paper will clarify major aims, arrange material to support aims and provide sufficient support materials; b) To evaluate, analyze, and synthesize information in one's chosen field of study via various information technologies; c) To identify which information technologies are best formatted for one's chosen career field; d) To explore the Internet to find bibliographic sources for investigative research; e) To demonstrate a theoretical understanding of rhetorical content.

What I'm trying to look for is a topic right now! I have come up with one or two ideas but not sure how they will do . First I was thinking of going to a issued duty weapon problem mostly the ammo that most officer have to use. The other topic I was looking at was over crowding of jails and how to deal with it! I was thinking Sheriff Joe!

Any ideas or advice would help I'm thinking the research is going to be the hardest part. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
What job do you intend to pursue?

Ammo selection is a terrible topic for such a paper.  How about treatment of second amendment issues arising from or related to Heller?  That AK arrest on Long Island last week speaks to a variety of institutional issues in criminal justice, as does NYC's generally unlawful crackdown on nongravity gravity knives.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered one on what the root causes behind corruption in both small and large agencies could be?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Do one on overlapping jurisdiction, mission creep, and conflict between federal law enforcement agencies.  Enough material to write a very long paper.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, you might want to stick to a topic of which you can find relevant articles in scholarly and professional journals for your research.

Just finished my degree last spring and my thesis paper was basically on the use of the criminal justice system in combatting the homeless problem, and how it is a flawed approach.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same boat as Tayous.  I'm doing my paper on the lack of medical training for LEO's when it comes to immediate trauma issues relating to officer involved shootings.  The thought behind it is going to be looking at the time between when an officer or bystander is shot and how long it takes to bleed out compared to how long it takes EMS to respond.  That is going to be compared to the military and the training provided to soldiers when it comes to combat casualty.
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
See if there is material supporting a family's education level and the likelihood of its members to be charged and incarcerated during their life.  If there isn't, find something on crime in low rent areas and research why some experts think it's higher than other areas.

These two will go over like an open bar at a wedding reception.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat as Tayous.  I'm doing my paper on the lack of medical training for LEO's when it comes to immediate trauma issues relating to officer involved shootings.  The thought behind it is going to be looking at the time between when an officer or bystander is shot and how long it takes to bleed out compared to how long it takes EMS to respond.  That is going to be compared to the military and the training provided to soldiers when it comes to combat casualty.
-SleeperShooter

Thats a good one! I just might have to go with a LEO and medical one since my wife is a RN and I can use her books!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in grad school myself.  I'm doing my major paper this semester on department liability and failure to train and what amounts to deliberate indifference.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#9]
A current hot topic is recruitment and retention.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#11]
How about the change in recent history in police management from a prevention and community-oriented policing model, to one based on municipal revenue generation?

Always thought I would save that one for my masters thesis, but what the hell-you can have it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in grad school myself.  I'm doing my major paper this semester on department liability and failure to train and what amounts to deliberate indifference.

Good one.

I agree. It's very prevalent in small, rural agencies (from my personal experience), and declining budgets only exacerbate the problem.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Progression of force
Duplication of services (state, county, and city)
Wanted traits of an officer (personality, education, and appearance)
Why it is important to be articulate both written and verbally
The basic responsibilities of law enforcement

There are so many that one only has to think a couple of minutes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
See if there is material supporting a family's education level and the likelihood of its members to be charged and incarcerated during their life.  If there isn't, find something on crime in low rent areas and research why some experts think it's higher than other areas.

These two will go over like an open bar at a wedding reception.  Ask me how I know.

I think it'd also be interesting to see the stats on those who are single parents as well as the reflecting stats for children in or grew up in single parent homes in both calls for service and arrest stats.  Add in call for service/arrest stats for  people that regularly attend religious services and consider themselves religious people vs. those outside that grouping.  Granted we all know which way the stats will point without a formal study being done, but it'd be nice  to have formal stats that could be shoved down groups like ACLU's throat on the end of a Monadnock.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm looking to start grad school soon myself, and I'm hanging on to this idea that I came up with:

Correlation between military counter-insurgency techniques and how they can be effectively applied to the community policing model
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I always found the topic of body language and verbal communication as related to LE a fascinating subject.

You can look at verbal judo, interrogation techniques,  body language clues from suspects, body language the LEO project, and detecting lies.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top