Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 1:31:51 PM EDT
Hey all! I've been giving a good deal of thought lately to joining the Oklahoma City PD, and am looking to get some honest, no BS impressions on being in the PD.

Answers from anynyone who is/was in the OKC PD would be awesome, but any replies will certainly be appreciated.

I haven't been able to speak with an actual officer about this yet, but it is on my short-list of things to do. One reason I'm coming here for answers is to try avoiding some canned, biased answers I might get from someone who would just want to talk me into joining.

Also, there's one more issue I'd like some insight on: I'm going to have my first child in late February, and would also like some feedback on how things would work out being a new father and going through the academy, or having recently graduated from it.

Thanks in advance guys!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't work for OK City PD, but I cannot think of any officer who is going to talk you into the job. You either want to do it or you don't.

As far as having a child while in the academy or just starting on the street. It is going to suck. A lack of sleep in the academy is no fun. Doctors visits and things like that will be missed. Once on you will probably have to contend with shift work, and being junior man.

Where I am, most decent supervisors will work with you, rookie or not. Family comes first.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
No one is going to talk you into "joining".  A 100:1 applicant-to-opening ratio is pretty common right now in my area and many are much higher.  You will likely have to make some initial sacrifices (like several years) with your family- the academy is long, hard, and when you are at home you'll need to be studying.  When you finally get off FTO you'll likely have the shittiest shift with the shittiest days off and probably will be like that for several years until you've gotten enough seniority.  You'll work most holidays and weekends.  You'll sleep when everyone else is up.  My suggestion is find a department that you can do a "ride a-long" with and get a brief idea what it's like.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
dont be a cop dude, Im starting to realize that although i love the job and was born for it, the stress and hassle that comes with it isnt worth the reward to me anymore. I still love chasing badguys and occasionally OCCASIONALLY helping an honest law abiding citizen that needs me, but its not worth the stress that comes from worring about getting sued, complained on, written up for minor petty BS rules, micro-managed, ect.

My best friend was shot in the head on a domestic a little over a year ago. His wife remarried and moved on 6 months later and they dismissed the charges on the shooter for insanity a few weeks ago.

The system is broken. Go be a used car salesman for shifty real estate salesman or something where you can afford to make your own hours, be your own boss, feed your family, and sleep reasonably well at night.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
dont be a cop dude, Im starting to realize that although i love the job and was born for it, the stress and hassle that comes with it isnt worth the reward to me anymore. I still love chasing badguys and occasionally OCCASIONALLY helping an honest law abiding citizen that needs me, but its not worth the stress that comes from worring about getting sued, complained on, written up for minor petty BS rules, micro-managed, ect.

My best friend was shot in the head on a domestic a little over a year ago. His wife remarried and moved on 6 months later and they dismissed the charges on the shooter for insanity a few weeks ago.

The system is broken. Go be a used car salesman for shifty real estate salesman or something where you can afford to make your own hours, be your own boss, feed your family, and sleep reasonably well at night.

Not everyone thinks this way.  I've been a cop for over 9 years and have worked a wide range of jobs in law enforcement.  I still love it.  But, I'd agree that it's not for everyone and no one should talk you into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top