Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/4/2010 6:08:19 PM EDT
If anyone here is one I'd like to ask a few questions about the job. I'm looking at trying to apply and I'd like to know what all I should expect? How the training was, duty areas and other info about the job that might help me out. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:08:59 PM EDT
No one here? Anyone know a place I can ask these questions to?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:16:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 6:16:45 PM EDT by kap_x]
Look to state universities offering Criminal Justice programs. Many of the professors are retired federal law enforcement. One of my professors was a Marshall for ~35 years
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:22:58 PM EDT
Or just go down to the local federal court house. They hang out there a lot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:36:52 PM EDT
I'm city PD, but have ran into a few USM's. I was told that about 5% of the UMS's actually get to do the fun stuff (fugative apprehension)and the other 95% push paper, or are assigned to a federal court room.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:46:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JonLSU:
Or just go down to the local federal court house. They hang out there a lot.


I was thinking about that the nearest one is 3 hours away.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:26:25 AM EDT
I am in the process of becoming one. They usually do internships. Either through a university (paid) or through the applicant themselves (not paid). Any questions, ask. I'm applying for the student internship and thus far have made it. 100+ applied, I'm one of the last 2 still in the running. If all works out, I'll be in the USMS in 2011... hence the screen name.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:56:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By txcop893:
I'm city PD, but have ran into a few USM's. I was told that about 5% of the UMS's actually get to do the fun stuff (fugative apprehension)and the other 95% push paper, or are assigned to a federal court room.


This is the truth. I just got back from an advanced course at FLETC and had the chance to talk with a lot of the agencies going through their academies. The USMS guys by far get treated like crap. Saw an instructor flip a recruits dessert off his tray for a reason unknown. The USMS graduates for most of their career will be stuck doing court details and prisoner transports. Only a select few will ever make it to the cool jobs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:34:50 AM EDT
This seems to have a lot of info on what kind of stop you're expected to be able to do.

http://www.opm.gov/fedclass/gs0082.pdf
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:42:26 AM EDT
I tested and passed back in 88-89. I didn't have a degree back then and I was passed over for candidates with degrees. They suggested I finish degree and reapply. Very interesting work, we had a deputy US Marshall ride escort during Air Force convoys down at Whiteman AFB. Fugitive task force showed up at an apartment complex I lived in 2001[not for me].
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:45:25 PM EDT
Alot of prisoner transports and court rooms.. but hey, good pay.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:14:34 PM EDT
Probably the best option to get out there and do the fun stuff is to go work for a decent sized department that assigns officers to US Marshal Fugitive Recovery Task Force. We've got a guy or two assigned over to our regional unit now, and I'll BEG to go over there when their assignment is up. I've run quite a few heavy hitter warrants with them, they definitely don't screw around.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:24:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Code4AR:
Probably the best option to get out there and do the fun stuff is to go work for a decent sized department that assigns officers to US Marshal Fugitive Recovery Task Force. We've got a guy or two assigned over to our regional unit now, and I'll BEG to go over there when their assignment is up. I've run quite a few heavy hitter warrants with them, they definitely don't screw around.


This.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:41:53 PM EDT
It sound like I have a 95% chance of me not wanting this job. I hate courthouses! Thanks everyone!
Top Top