Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2010 2:39:25 PM EDT
Made the cut of 24 out  of 75 applicants!! Really wasnt too hard just had to have all my ducks in a row and be in the first 24 to drop off the packet and pay. But I STILL MADE IT!! Stoked need this and 2 other classes and once completed headed to paramedic school in the fall of 2011!

Edit: Was a little too excited
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome. I started class 3 weeks ago. Might just go emt-I for awhile and see if I like it. Although working for a fd would be nice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
There was really that much competition for it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There was really that much competition for it?

surprisingly yes....there were 2 orientations and at the first there were 40 people then 35 at the second(mind you these are all different people), registration opened at 8 am and people were there at 4 am to wait in line. Slightly ridiculous, but in order to do fire in Oregon you need at least your EMT-B so that is where all the competition comes from.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Enjoy it. Talk to as many people as you can, you only learn about 2% of what you need to know from the class.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome I start mine next month then I will also be Paramedic bound.

I don't have to pay though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Blood goes round and round Air goes in an out any variation thereof is bad.... and Scene Safety BSI.... Congrats you just learned everything there is in EMT-B Class

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:30:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Blood goes round and round Air goes in an out any variation thereof is bad.... and Scene Safety BSI.... Congrats you just learned everything there is in EMT-B Class

You put it more succinctly than I have ever heard in one place.

@ OP ALWAYS check your Scene Safety and BSI!!! If you don't know what these are yet, you will learn them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You put it more succinctly than I have ever heard in one place.

@ OP ALWAYS check your Scene Safety and BSI!!! If you don't know what these are yet, you will learn them.

Scene Safety =Exactly what it sounds like.

BSI = Body Substance Isolation. If it's wet, warm or sticky and not yours don't touch it. Unless you buy her dinner first.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So I guess CPR, airway management, bleeding control, oxygen administration, shock control, child birth, and ALS assist skills and scene management just come naturally?
Your oversimplification annoys me.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So I guess CPR, airway management, bleeding control, oxygen administration, shock control, child birth, and ALS assist skills and scene management just come naturally?

BLS isn't terribly complex any way you slice it.

I agree its not brain surgery, anyone who has seen some of the basics that passed the tests and practice around here can tell you that. It does take some knowledge and skills though. Applying it when it counts is what matters.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:34:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations!  I've been an EMT-I for a while and recently signed up for paramedic class.  I start next March.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your inability to take a joke annoys me.  Stop taking yourself so seriously....

Edit

Really?
CPR?? yea that's real challenging they teach it it middle school for Pete sakes.
Airway management I'll give you some credit there, but the jaw thrust isn't all that hard even if you start throwing in Combitubes and what not.
Bleeding control?? What pressure and elevation ?? Damn that was confusing... oh wait that didn't work toss on a Tourniquet.
Shock control??? what lift their legs and keep them warm..... there is a dose of common sense for ya.
Child Birth I'll again give you credit for.
ALS Assist?? what a 4 lead and how to spike a IV bag....  that wasn't mentally taxing.
Scene Management your a EMT-B for crying out loud not a battalion chief, is putting the patient on a stretcher that hard......

Lighten up Francis...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop taking yourself so seriously....

Someone once told me that if you don't take who you are, what you do, and what you believe in ("yourself") seriously no one else will either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop taking yourself so seriously....

Someone once told me that if you don't take who you are, what you do, and what you believe in ("yourself") seriously no one else will either.

Someone once told me not to take life so seriously no one gets out alive.

Edit I saw in another thread that you only do EMS[, that in and of itself explains a lot to me about your responses.  I'm sorry you don't get to have any fun in your life.

I'm done in this thread.  Congrats to the OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top