Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 9:50:51 AM EDT
OK, I ain't no chick, but my wife is.

I'm wondering what you ladies like for concealed carry.

The wifey and I took our concealed carry class this weekend, and I wanna get the wife her own pistole'.

What do you like???

What fits your hand???

Caliber????

How do you carry?? Pocketbook?? IWB holster???

TIA

garand(FirstTimeInTheLadiesForum)man
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I am obviously no lady myself.

My fiance' generally carries in her purse, and she keeps very carefull of her purse at all times.  She has found the lighter guns easier to carry with favs being mini glocks and the Taurus ultra-lite series of revolvers.

Best advice though is just to find what she likes, can operate best, and most importantly, is comfortable with.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've [i]heard[/i] that the Taurus M85 is liked by many women...
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
for every day kind of carry, i like my taurus ultra lite.  i also like the Glock 26 but most purses aren't manufactured to take the weight of a gun and 11 rounds of 9mm.  seams start to tear out, hence the lighter weight revolver.

i also have a Dillon tote with a concealed carry compartment.  when i carry that instead of a purse, it's always the glock.  when i become more comfortable and more proficient with the .45, THAT will by my firearm of choice.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I ain't no lady either, but my wife is[:D] She carried a Colt Pony Pocketlite .380 for about 4 years and hated it. Trigger pull was so heavy, she couldn't get through an entire 6 rd mag. Accuracy was ok-ish but just didn't please her. One day at the range, a group of 4 brothers all had Kimbers, and like true Hoosier gentlemen, offered to let us try them out. She LOVED the Ultra CDP .45. I'd of never dreamed as puny as she is she, she'd want a .45. Well, she's got one and absolutely loves it. She's out-shooting me and my G23[:(]
As far as carry, she's a beautician and carried in her purse until 3 women were slain in a beauty shop in Montana last Sept. She uses a Galco Concealable High Ride Belt Holster now.
What's that old saying? If a fly packed a .45, nobody'd ... oh, nevermind.

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#6]
It's actually not too surprising that a woman would want to carry and even shoot really well with a .45. Though, being as small of stature as I am, my husband was shocked when I could clover leaf three rounds with his Kimber, which is better than he does with it. I don't think your wife's proficency with a .45 is an isolated incident.

At any rate, I had a Taurus PT-111 and I hated it. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. The trigger pull was too heavy and the barrell too short. It was a bitch to take apart and I didn't like that because I can't feel comfortable with a weapon I can't take apart to clean myself. That's why I now have a Glock 19 which might be a bit large for concealed carry but I'm very comfortable with it and I know it's a reliable weapon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife carries a S&W (pre-sellout) .38 airweight that has the hammer bobbed, bantam weight grips, and has been refinished by Mac at [url]www.shootiniron.com[/url]
Works for her.  She doesn't like autos, and wants something simple and light that she does not have to worry about.  
About every year I drag her to the gun show and buy her another dedicated gun purse.  I know good leather will/does last longer, but with styles changing, etc, she would end up buying regular ones if I didn't.  It's worth the money, as it is safer if the pistol is in a separate compartment with a holster, and she likes the kind that you unzip the end and slide your hand into unobtrusively so you can be half way through the draw while walking through a dark parkinglot at night.  There is a split consensus btween zippers and velcro.  Velcro is faster in a panic sitaution, zippers allow stealth in a maybe situation.  
Magsafe SWAT .38 rounds fill the wheel.    
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
At any rate, I had a Taurus PT-111 and I hated it. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. The trigger pull was too heavy and the barrell too short. It was a bitch to take apart and I didn't like that because I can't feel comfortable with a weapon I can't take apart to clean myself. That's why I now have a Glock 19 which might be a bit large for concealed carry but I'm very comfortable with it and I know it's a reliable weapon.
View Quote

are you sure you aren't my twin??????  i had the same exact problem(s) with the taurus.  ewww.  brings back bad memories.  the only difference is that i chose the G26 for concealed carry.  i carry in the purse and a small purse at that.  26 was perfect.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife carries (and adores) her SigSauer 232 .380.  She can hit the center mass of a target with no problem and carries it in a purse.  I had to add a thick piece of leather to keep the muzzle from printing on the bottom of the purse.  She takes "Siggy" with her everywhere and puts it in a holster during her solo visits to the beach.

'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Buckmark, but the barrel is too long for CCW. I may have to buy a short barreled Buckmark.

Is there another gun with as nice a trigger as the Buckmark with a bigger bullet?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I am not a chick, nor do I play one on TV.

But as a wiseman said, "But my wife is!"

Honey-Bunny's favorite carry toy is my Browning High Power. She is small framed and does like to wear over sized sweaters (I do prefer her in the tight ones, but I'm just the husband), and blazers for business. She found a behind the back holster that works very well for her.

Sometimes, when she's feeling particularly playful, she toss one of mine...err..HER 1911's in that trunk she calls a purse.

That's it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I am a 'chick' and a new gunowner so have just gone through the search thing. My first conceled carry was a Kahr 9mm. Very heavy and weird trigger, hard shooter and again very difficult to disassemble. I carried it in a fanny pack holster. I could hit center mass with it but was not profficient enough with it to suit me. I am a left handed shooter with a very bad thumb (on the left, old softball injury).
It was a challenge to find a weapon with enough oomph and that I could hold on to. My sweetheart and I were at gunshows at least once a month looking and mauling the wares. Was not having much luck ( still had the Kahr so was not without). He signed me up for a beginners pistol class near our home. The instructors set out a variety of guns for us students to try. One was the Browning hi-power 9mm. It was love at first shot. My sweetie seeing how enamored I was with this gun started searching right away. Found me one and it even came with the left hand grips. It was just meant to be. I carry this weapon in a belt holster (I too wear loose fitting clothing). The first time I really shot the gun, he took me to the range's steel bay. Had me doing double taps on the pepper poppers right away. Didn't miss a shot in 4 mags. The Browning is a little on the large side but it shoots sweet. My other weapon is of course a pre-ban AR.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]
9Millie-
Can you give more specifics on the Kahr 9mm? My first gun purchase is a Browning HiPower and I really like the accuracy and general "feel" of the gun but it is a little too big for a concealed (carry on my person) gun. While at the gun show, I saw a Kahr K9 9mm and really liked the way it felt. I haven't shot one so I need some input before I purchase. I also saw a Sig Sauer P230 .380 that fit me and so did a Bersa .380. The Kahr had a price tag of $399. I would appreciate any additional info you can give me on the Kahr. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Having been carrying for some time now I elect to have a real gun on my hip. Give me a 1911 in 45acp. I switch between a Government Model and a Commander. No point in not having enough gun!

Genie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top