Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What's the most extreme thing your s/o has done for a SHTF scenario?

She got on board...

Trust me, it was a BIG jump for her.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
PATTY: Holy stockpiles, Batman!!!!!
That is a good way to describe it. I thought you had been in the Army? What never talk to your NBC NCO?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
>Come back!!!
>You've BEEN thru a SHTF...details!!!!

What kind do you want?  We lived off-grid for about three weeks.  I wouldn't advise it, especially the bit with only 1 window unit for a house in Louisiana in 98 degree weather.  

However.   If you have natural gas to your house, a natural gas generator (some also run on propane) is a great thing.  Most of the other people nearby were running on gasoline generators, which require someone driving out to the nearest gas station, waiting in a mile long line, filling gas cans, etc.  We didn't get gas trucks stopping by locally for about a week and a half.  (When they started coming, people would stalk them, and call family and neighbors "Psst! there's gas at the Shell up the street!")  

With a generator you get refrigeration, and do not have to eat nonperishables and MREs.   You can also watch TV, which leaves you better informed than your neighbors who can only listen to the radio because they don't have enough juice.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That is a good way to describe it. I thought you had been in the Army? What never talk to your NBC NCO?

No, I was never in the military.  Patty
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is another one, a little cheaper

www.nukepills.com/raddetect.htm

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I am not prepared at all, and I should know better after working with a very prepared Sgt. Major for a year.

Something will happen while I'm working, though, so I'll be dead anyway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I AVOIDED that one...freaky-ass dude....

Now I understand WHY! Seriously, I had NO clue...and I had a bigger-even no clue that this stuff was common knowledge to the civvies living in the area...seems almost a breach in security to me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I AVOIDED that one...freaky-ass dude....

Now I understand WHY! Seriously, I had NO clue...and I had a bigger-even no clue that this stuff was common knowledge to the civvies living in the area...seems almost a breach in security to me.

Well its pretty difficult to hide 1000s of bunkers full of bombs even in Eastern Oregon.  Actually most of these stock piles are open to the public.  They have tours and you can get suited up and have your pictures taken with toxic bombs.  My daughter got to shoot a 50 cal at the Depot during a Veteran's Day shindig.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well its pretty difficult to hide 1000s of bunkers full of bombs even in Eastern Oregon.  Actually most of these stock piles are open to the public.  They have tours and you can get suited up and have your pictures taken with toxic bombs.  My daughter got to shoot a 50 cal at the Depot during a Veteran's Day shindig.

Is my tinfoil on too tight or is anyone else finding the fact that this is done disturbing???
Not YOU, Patty...I mean I know you're normal...well, about as normal as the rest of us here... but what about, you know...the bad guys who wanna make us all go BOOM!!! What if they went for a tour...got the lay of the land...I mean, if we can train these guys to fly planes....I dunno. I kinda think this is a problem.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in an one room apt. that has one walk in closet.  My S/O kicked me out of my closet amd moved all of our bug-out stuff in there.  There isnt even enough room to hang my clothes.  
I have 5 cabinets in my kitchen, 2 are crammed with our food.  
My floor by the one and only door (which happens to be a glass sliding door) has 6 5gallon water drums sitting right there; you lear to walk around in the dark or you trip.  
Dont get me wrong, i love the way he's so prepared, but damn i wish he'd at least pay some of the rent since most of my stuff is in my car now!  

I guess you cant bash the man for trying though.

Ms. Snaps
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is my tinfoil on too tight or is anyone else finding the fact that this is done disturbing???
Not YOU, Patty...I mean I know you're normal...well, about as normal as the rest of us here... but what about, you know...the bad guys who wanna make us all go BOOM!!! What if they went for a tour...got the lay of the land...I mean, if we can train these guys to fly planes....I dunno. I kinda think this is a problem.

I agree.  I'm glad they're getting rid of these things.  The quicker the better.  There was a lot of argument about the incineration process and our Governor POS Kitzhaber tried to block it from the get go but its done and the bombs are being destroyed.  Good riddance.

*ETA* LINK ON Um Depot
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top