Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:51:19 AM EDT
I hesitate to post this thread, as I know it will get tons of nasty comments...so please refrain from that.  We women aren't the ones that turned Valentine's Day into an expensive holiday..it's the mall jewelry stores that did that...oh, and the FIRST MAN man who bought a diamond for his girl on Valentine's Day.  It's not women in general.  Most women would love just a card and maybe some flowers.  And they don't even have to be delivered to the office (although that's the bomb).

That being said...who's the one in your relationship who does the "work" on Valentine's Day?  I'm the one that will make the nice meal, make it romantic, candles, etc..maybe a new little number for the bedroom...I've already started working on my menu, have bought some new candles and have ordered an amazing gift and got the card back in January. (I've learned from experience not to wait until February for the card)

How about you?  Are you the one that puts more effort into the day?  or your sig other?

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I despise this holiday. So I did something about it:
I bought hubby a 51" TV.
We're gonna sit in front of it the week after valentine's day (Cause that's when it's coming) and watch "Love Story."

OK...We won't be watching "Love Story," but this will still be the best Valentine's Day we've had in awhile!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I bought hubby a 51" TV.
We're gonna sit in front of it the week after valentine's day (Cause that's when it's coming) and watch "Love Story."

OK...We won't be watching "Love Story," but this will still be the best Valentine's Day we've had in awhile!

If I didn't know that I might someday benefit from this purchase, I'd say you suck.

Just trying to one up me.  OK, a million up me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought hubby a 51" TV.

If I didn't know that I might someday benefit from this purchase, I'd say you suck.

Just trying to one up me.  OK, a million up me.

Who're you kidding?

You know ya love me.
Right back atcha!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Generally we are equally minimal when it comes to Valentine's day.  Sometimes we both actually get a card or a little something like candy for the other.  Sometimes a special dinner.  We don't do birthdays or our anniversary either.  Last year, we remembered our anniversary about 2 days before it came and 2 days after it went...  "Ummm, Honey?  Did we miss our anniversary again this year?"
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Generally we are equally minimal when it comes to Valentine's day.  Sometimes we both actually get a card or a little something like candy for the other.  Sometimes a special dinner.  We don't do birthdays or our anniversary either.  Last year, we remembered our anniversary about 2 days before it came and 2 days after it went...  "Ummm, Honey?  Did we miss our anniversary again this year?"

I'm like a little kid when it comes to my birthday.  I need to be treated special on my birthday.  I could never NOT DO my birthday.  Even though I'm turning 39 this year (OMG) , I still want to be showered with attention and love.  And since I don't have an anniversary anymore, that's a moot point.  I like holidays.  I like birthdays..other people's too.  It's a day that's different from all the others, something to plan for, something to look forward to.  And since my birthday is a week after Valentine's Day, February is special for me.  And it's halfway between Christmas and spring, so it seems like spring is always that much closer once February is here.

I agree Valentine's Day is hugely over commercialized by jewelry stores, candy stores, florists, and television.   But for those that don't say it every day, it's an oppportunity to not sound like a wuss when you want to tell someone how you feel about them.

I always get my son something for Valentine's Day, and send cards to people, not just my sweetie.  I'm a big squishy lovebug. I admit it.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#8]
My now wife and I always got in a fight of some kind on Valentines day.  We no longer celebrate it.  I asked her to marry me last year on the 13th, we got married in May.  I am doing all the planning this year for another anti-valentines celebration.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm like a little kid when it comes to my birthday.  I need to be treated special on my birthday.  I could never NOT DO my birthday.  Even though I'm turning 39 this year (OMG) , I still want to be showered with attention and love.  And since I don't have an anniversary anymore, that's a moot point.  I like holidays.  I like birthdays..other people's too.  It's a day that's different from all the others, something to plan for, something to look forward to.  And since my birthday is a week after Valentine's Day, February is special for me.  And it's halfway between Christmas and spring, so it seems like spring is always that much closer once February is here.

I agree Valentine's Day is hugely over commercialized by jewelry stores, candy stores, florists, and television.   But for those that don't say it every day, it's an oppportunity to not sound like a wuss when you want to tell someone how you feel about them.

I always get my son something for Valentine's Day, and send cards to people, not just my sweetie.  I'm a big squishy lovebug. I admit it.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.....

BITE ME HARD, PM!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#11]
my dad likes to make a big deal about valentine's day--he always got us a box of candy (though my sister and i got russell stover and mom got godiva)

hubby and i, not so much--i usually get him a card--i make dinner, though thats not an unusual thing to start with--hubby is hit or miss on a card, i never know, so that is an element of surprise, i suppose  

i much prefer anniversary and birthdays to a commercial holiday, like valentines

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

BITE ME HARD, PM!!!!  

Ok...I'll agree with Daisy that I think important days should have some kind of hoopla around them...otherwise, for me, what's the point?
It's like, well, you can eat steak and potatoes every day, right? But somedays, you really want chicken marsala, ya know???

I DO hate that it's forced upon us though. I buy things for people in my life whenever I want. Not because some "Holiday" had to be invented.
But I do think (for me) that anniversaries are important. And other people's birthdays, too. (I am gonna be 40 this year so the birthday fairy can kiss my ass on my birthday).
Hubby and I will exchange cards and probably get Chinese Take-out and I'll get the boys some cards and candy.
That's par here on VD day <winks at SP1grrl>.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I usually send valentine cards to the grandkids. I try to get my hubby a card, but it makes him feel bad if he didn't get me one. Even tho I'd like him to remember something like this, it isn't a big deal any longer. But we usually do go out for dinner on our birthdays and anniversary.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#15]
The wife considers flowers to be a waste of money, and tells me that anytime I get them for her.  She prefers performance parts for her street rod or hemi truck.  Yup, she is a keeper.  She is getting a spray on truck bed liner for her birthday, a double whammy for me in February.  15 and 19th.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#16]
A new mobo+processor wouldn't be bad (one of my presents before, loved it).

We usually exchange cards, dine out and spend some quality time together.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I've usually been between boyfriends on Valentine's Day, so I kind of hate it.

This year, I'm at a loss of what to do without going overboard and freaking my bf of 3 months out -- or, on the flip side, doing too little and being viewed as pretty lazy.

He has said nothing about the day other than he hates those damn jewelry commercials.

I know one thing that will work: a fetish outfit of his choice, but I know I need to get more than that.

I am definitely one who needs to make a more concerted effort to do something nice on Valentine's Day, but I don't want to do anything cliche. He already knows I don't eat chocolate, so that has been nipped in the bud.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Last year has been the only year I had a boyfriend on Valentines.  I told him not to do anything since our anniversary was a week and a half later.  We went to lunch on Valentine's just because neither of us felt like cooking, but other than that, we didn't do anything.  No flowers or candy, and I was happy about it.

This year, I'm single and fine with it. *Shrug*  It'll be just like all the other years, lol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm letting the girlfriend talk me into getting dressed up and we are going out for a nice dinner followed by 2nd row seats at the Philly Pops for their "Valentine's Day Extravaganza; an evening of romantic music."

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm letting the girlfriend talk me into getting dressed up and we are going out for a nice dinner followed by 2nd row seats at the Philly Pops for their "Valentine's Day Extravaganza; an evening of romantic music."

Sounds delightful!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I cook her fav dinner but I do all the cooking anyways so that nothing new. She gets flowers a few days before so I can beat the last minute rush , a card on the 14th.

Her birthday is 01/21/06 so I pick up her Bday card and the Valentine card at the same time. It took me a few years before I figured that trick out.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I give the gimp a night off.

;)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I cook her fav dinner but I do all the cooking anyways so that nothing new. She gets flowers a few days before so I can beat the last minute rush , a card on the 14th.

Her birthday is 01/21/06 so I pick up her Bday card and the Valentine card at the same time. It took me a few years before I figured that trick out.

I hear ya...my birthday is a week after Valentine's Day.  you learn to live with getting the shaft for one or the other.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife is not big on spending $$ on flowers, they die quick. I usually get her a card, buy her a day at the Spa(massage,mud bath,parrafin dip,etc.)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Woot I always throw an Anti Valentines day Keg Party. As our way of supporting the beer manufacturers for helping us get through this difficult time and allowing us to have a clean conscience about the meaningless one night hook ups we all get at the Anti-Valentines day party.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Woot I always throw an Anti Valentines day Keg Party. As our way of supporting the beer manufacturers for helping us get through this difficult time and allowing us to have a clean conscience about the meaningless one night hook ups we all get at the Anti-Valentines day party.  

Wait a sec!  you just had a wonderful first date???  What's up with that???
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I am thinking I will be turning the Anti Valentines day party over to one of my friends this year.  I may have other plans.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:05:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I am thinking I will be turning the Anti Valentines day party over to one of my friends this year.  I may have other plans.  

You've been assimilated...resistance is futile....

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:38:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take your girlfriend to the Anti-Valentine's Day Party.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine's birthday is on Valentine's Day.  Talk about performance pressure.  Fortunately, she is a lazy slug with no curiousity or interest in any part of the outside world, so she is easy to please.  Some trinkets, some candy, and a card and she'll be good for another year of sleeping until noon and lounging around on the sofa watching Desperate Housewives.

I don't get anything for holidays or birthdays since I'm the head of the household.  It's always been done that way in my family.  I think my grandfather started it when he realized that he made all of the money and realized the pointlessness of giving money to his wife so that she could buy him something that he didn't want.

So, I buy all of the gifts and everyone else grabs and grasps.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Around here VD is just another day, and I prefer it that way. We may pick up a card for each other, but past that it doesn't happen. My birthday is way to close to VD, so in the past I was always given one thing for both. My philosophy is, they are two seperate days, two seperate occasions, remember them seperate or don't remember them at all. I feel very strong about not remembering both of them at all this year!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Mine's birthday is on Valentine's Day.  Talk about performance pressure.  Fortunately, she is a lazy slug with no curiousity or interest in any part of the outside world, so she is easy to please.  Some trinkets, some candy, and a card and she'll be good for another year of sleeping until noon and lounging around on the sofa watching Desperate Housewives.

I don't get anything for holidays or birthdays since I'm the head of the household.  It's always been done that way in my family.  I think my grandfather started it when he realized that he made all of the money and realized the pointlessness of giving money to his wife so that she could buy him something that he didn't want.

wow.  Don't you sound happy.

Sorry, dude.  There's no excuse for not giving you birthday/holiday presents.  That's just wrong.
Sorry, but that's the way I feel.
Hope things get better for you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I hesitate to post this thread, as I know it will get tons of nasty comments...so please refrain from that.  We women aren't the ones that turned Valentine's Day into an expensive holiday..it's the mall jewelry stores that did that...oh, and the FIRST MAN man who bought a diamond for his girl on Valentine's Day.  It's not women in general.  Most women would love just a card and maybe some flowers.  And they don't even have to be delivered to the office (although that's the bomb).

That being said...who's the one in your relationship who does the "work" on Valentine's Day?  I'm the one that will make the nice meal, make it romantic, candles, etc..maybe a new little number for the bedroom...I've already started working on my menu, have bought some new candles and have ordered an amazing gift and got the card back in January. (I've learned from experience not to wait until February for the card)

How about you?  Are you the one that puts more effort into the day?  or your sig other?

Wow, no nasty comments from me for sure.  Not to you anyway.  And Yes, I'll buy my wife a diamond for Valentine's day if she wants one...or whatever she wants.  Not to mention that I try to be inventive and come up with cool additions to the normal gold and diamonds.  I buy cards, flowers, and scented candles.  I buy her stuff for the bath as well.  Some ladies like bath related gifts.  Anyway, I'll take her out to eat too if I can.   Or even cook for her (she likes it when I cook but she won't let it be special, I don't know why...I am a good cook by the way...not that it matters)  I have come up with other things in the past, all futile. Not that she would do anything out of the way for me.  I'll be lucky if I see anything more than a card from Hallmark with her signature in it.  Your man is truly a lucky guy to have you as his mate if what you have written is true.  I think in all the years I have been married and remarried to my wife she has only made one effort in the bedroom dept.  Not that I am complaining...just left out.  It's like the holidays and other special occasions are non-sexual in my household.  I don't understand it...not even on our anniversary.  Sometimes it really upsets me and makes me want to punch out.  Anyway Daisy I hope you and yours has the best Valentine's day.

Wes
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:58:42 AM EDT
[#35]
My wife and I don't buy into the Vday stuff.

Better to be kind and in love every day a little bit than to try to cram all your affection into one spot on the calendar, and throw money at tokens. All artifice and show, to me anyway.

I doubt any woman will lay on her death bed and remember red cards or flowers. But I'll bet she remembers who loved her, how much, and that every day they showed it.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:14:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My wife and I don't buy into the Vday stuff.

Better to be kind and in love every day a little bit than to try to cram all your affection into one spot on the calendar, and throw money at tokens. All artifice and show, to me anyway.

I doubt any woman will lay on her death bed and remember red cards or flowers. But I'll bet she remembers who loved her, how much, and that every day they showed it.

Just my .02

That's nice Swingset.  But don't assume that I don't make every day special for my guy.  We tell each other we love the other at least 5 times a day, I try to make every meal special, I light candles every night.  But holidays are a bit EXTRA special.

That's all I'm saying.  All of you people who ignore holidays with the excuse that "Every day is Valentine's Day", that's great for you...and I feel the same way.  But I stand by my thing that holidays are something to look forward to, and you can center around a theme.  I think there's a reason that millions of people celebrate it, don't you?

Again, if you don't celebrate it, that's fine, it's your choice.  But some of you seem to be throwing it back in the ring with the sentiment of "I make every day special, I don't need a Hallmark day to do that".   Wonderful.  I'm thrilled that you have a great relationship.  But I'm a sucker for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.  I, too, make every day special, but holidays are extra special.  

That's all I'm saying.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow.  Don't you sound happy.

Sorry, dude.  There's no excuse for not giving you birthday/holiday presents.  That's just wrong.
Sorry, but that's the way I feel.
Hope things get better for you.

Don't misunderstand me.  I'm not unhappy, just frustrated.  I love her, there are just things I'd change if I could.  Such as her total lack of curiousity, laziness, lack of interest in bettering herself, and her seeming lack of higher cognitive processes.  She's a perfectly sweet and kind-hearted woman, to a fault.  Not greedy, low maintenance, etc.  And she is wonderful if you take her with her limitations in mind.  I just don't understand how she can be happy lazing around all day and doing nothing with her life.  But she is.  At least it sets the bar low for me.

The gift thing is my choice.  The way it would work is I give her money, she buys something I don't like, and then I have to stick said something in a closet or somewhere where it will attract dust and clutter while I pretend to like it.  I'd rather keep my money and either get something I will actually use or just not clutter the place up with junk.

And the gifts from children.  Yeah, it's sweet, it comes from the heart, memories, etc.  But it is a container of no apparent purpose made out of pipe cleaners, play-doh, and other stuff they dug out of the garbage.  I really don't want to use it as a centerpeice on my dining room table.

Overall, it is not as bad as I make it out to be.   I'm just a jerk.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:00:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

+1

I have a terrible memory.  When the first v-day decorations started coming out, I sent a dozen roses to my man at his place of business.  The card said, "you are getting these now because you know I will forget.  Happy early V-Day, I loveyou..."  All the girls in the office were asking him if it was his birthday...

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:10:21 AM EDT
[#39]
  Just on a side note, V-day doesn't have to be expensive to have a big impact.

My Brother once asked his wife, (married for 10 years now) "When did you first know you were falling in love with me?"

She said that it was the first Valentine's Day they had together.  My brother had purchased those school packs of valentine's day cards... you know the bugs bunny, scooby-doo, barbie packs that come 25 for a dollar.  He bought $8 worth (yes, 200) and put little messages on all of them.  Then he went to her house really early that morning and posted them all over her car.  He also taped some bags of those digusting heart candies in places.

He has made me swear that I will never tell her that it was my idea.

HEEE HEEEE
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#40]
It's a good idea to break off relationships from November to February. Between Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Valentines Day, that saves you a LOT of shopping, several boorish dinners and staying up late to watch drunks make fools of themselves.  

Ski for three months, then make up in late February  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I've learned, as with all things....

if you expect nothing, you don't get disappointed.

My beau has said absolutely nothing about the holiday. I have bought a card and a nice gift that he can use when he works out and travels for business. I looked around his apartment to see if I could find even just a card yesterday while he was in the shower, but nothing.

I don't need anything big, because he pays for everything while we're out and won't take anything I offer. As a result, I got him an iPod shuffle. A little expensive when you consider we've only been dating for 3.5 months, but when you tally what he has spent, it's pretty reasonable.

Relationships sure are pretty damn frustrating, but I'm allergic to pet dander and I can't help but falling for a set of green eyes with long lashes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#42]

When is Valentine's Day this year?

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

When is Valentine's Day this year?

You'll know the day after you miss it!

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm not big on the whole VD 'exprience', I'm thinking of keeping it cheap and simple this year, so I'm thinking of 'recycling' some flowers, (graveyards are cheap and easy, and if they are missed, it's not like you'll hear about it) and maybe some candy left over from Halloween....
Would this be wrong??? What say you all???.......
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I'm not big on the whole VD 'exprience', I'm thinking of keeping it cheap and simple this year, so I'm thinking of 'recycling' some flowers, (graveyards are cheap and easy, and if they are missed, it's not like you'll hear about it) and maybe some candy left over from Halloween....

I like recycling flowers.  When I get them I usually keep them for a day and then give them away.

But what you are talking about is called STEALING.

Shame shame.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like recycling flowers.  When I get them I usually keep them for a day and then give them away.

But what you are talking about is called STEALING.

Shame shame.

All righty then, I'll bring them back after VD is over....Sheesh, just can't seem to do a good dead these days......
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#47]
ok, so tonight i bought a card and the last bag of hershey kisses in the store  

they are in hubby's truck where he will see them in the morning  

due to our work schedules, i wont really see him til who knows when  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I was extremely spoiled this year. and I intend to spoil him right back
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#49]
EDIT: Augh!  Need to resize.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Her.  Because, well, I'm a guy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top