Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 10:04:22 AM EDT

She really likes it, and says it's an incredibly well-written and well filmed story. According to her, it's a lot like "The Age of Innocence" which is probably her all-time favorite movie. She doesn't really see BM as a movie about "gay cowboys" as much as a movie about forbidden love and tragic relationships. In her mind, it could just as much have been about two married heterosexuals in Victorian England having an affair - and that the story is all about the struggle and the tension of the relationship - and that stuff that you women supposedly like. (.. as opposed to REAL story-telling, that involves explosions, guns, spaceships and monsters - and maybe boobies)

I guess I can see her point though.

Anyhoo - just wanted to share the fact, in case any of ya'll like movies like "Age of Innocence" or other tragic love stories, and aren't completely freaked out by gay cowboys. It may actually be a really good movie.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:23:51 AM EDT
Not my thing.
Gay thing non-withstanding, I hate cowboy movies.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:29:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:
Not my thing.

Does she have "issues"? Once should have been enough for anyone (not me - I won't give my hard earned dollars to hollywood for a gay flick)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:33:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 10:33:32 AM EDT by DK-Prof]

Originally Posted By xanadu:
Does she have "issues"?

She's married to ME. Of course she has issues.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:38:17 AM EDT
If they put out a lesbian cowgirl movie with two hot young actresses in it I would try to think of a way to justify seeing it twice to my wife as well. I'm just saying...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:39:16 AM EDT

Not my thing.

<scratches PM's name from the ueber cool people list>
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:42:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hokie:

Not my thing.

<scratches PM's name from the ueber cool people list>

But, but....I like WAR MOVIES!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:46:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:02:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
www.impawards.com/2005/posters/brokeback_mountain.jpg

They put the 'poke' in cowpoke.

TRG

Love cowboy movies, but not going to watch that one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:32:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:40:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By buttercupp:

www.impawards.com/2005/posters/brokeback_mountain.jpg

They put the 'poke' in cowpoke.

TRG

Love cowboy movies, but not going to watch that one.

Well, you don't have to buy a ticket. Just sneak in the back door.

TRG

They also have great deals on popcorn buckets with holes cut in the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:43:35 PM EDT
Maybe chicks get turned on by 2 guys doin' each other like guys get turned on by 2 hot chicks doin' each other?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:45:40 PM EDT
Those two fr00t cakes could have used a good old fashioned CHUCK NORRIS ass kicking!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:46:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cobra-ak:
Maybe chicks get turned on by 2 guys doin' each other like guys get turned on by 2 hot chicks doin' each other?

ahhhh....NO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:53:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 12:54:17 PM EDT by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:55:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
(..REAL story-telling, that involves explosions, guns, spaceships and monsters - and maybe definitely boobies)

Hell yeah, man!

Did I say "maybe" ???

Sweet merciful crap. Maybe just TALKING about Brokeback Mountain is slowly turning me gay!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:57:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:04:11 PM EDT

(..REAL story-telling, that involves explosions, guns, spaceships and monsters - and maybe definitely boobies)

Hell yeah, man!

Did I say "maybe" ???

Sweet merciful crap. Maybe just TALKING about Brokeback Mountain is slowly turning me gay!

Born Dutch, Turned Gay. Sucks to be you, man.

Damn.

Maybe there's still hope if I watch Starship Troopers a few times.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:09:15 PM EDT

She really likes it, and says it's an incredibly well-written and well filmed story. According to her, it's a lot like "The Age of Innocence" which is probably her all-time favorite movie. She doesn't really see BM as a movie about "gay cowboys" as much as a movie about forbidden love and tragic relationships. In her mind, it could just as much have been about two married heterosexuals in Victorian England having an affair - and that the story is all about the struggle and the tension of the relationship - and that stuff that you women supposedly like. (.. as opposed to REAL story-telling, that involves explosions, guns, spaceships and monsters - and maybe boobies)

Anyhoo - just wanted to share the fact, in case any of ya'll like movies like "Age of Innocence" or other tragic love stories, and aren't completely freaked out by gay cowboys. It may actually be a really good movie.

The propaganda worked on her.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:11:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:11:56 PM EDT
I like westerns, and war movies also, but will not waste my money on seeing 2 gay cowboys. No way no how.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:14:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By criley:

The propaganda worked on her.

Yes - my wife is clearly retarded, and her understanding of a movie that she has actually seen is obviously less than that of people who have not seen it.

In case you didn't notice, this thread is specifically in the Women's Forum, as a "public service announcement" that women who enjoy touchy-feeley movies like "The Age of Innocence" or "Romeo and Juliet" (and who aren't homophobic) might actually like this movie.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:15:13 PM EDT
She fantasizes it's you on that mountain....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:24:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:26:32 PM EDT

Damn.

Go all out. Marathon Rambo, Terminator and Missing in Action.
Know the Chuck.

But do any of those have boobies?

What makes Startship Troopers such a cinematic masterpiece is that is has explosions, guns, spaceships, monster AND boobs.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:31:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:34:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:06:22 PM EDT

I sure as hell don't. Guys porking each other? That's gross, man.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:18:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GabbasaurusRex:

I sure as hell don't. Guys porking each other? That's gross, man.

Hell ya. Wouldn't even watch Brokeback mountain for free.

Got better things to do with my time...like go shooting.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:27:25 PM EDT
ummmmmmmmmmm

no

tha­nks, though

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:12:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:55:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By daisywench:

ahhhh....NO.

+ so many ones that you cannot EVEN imagine!

No homophobe here...but there are just some things I don't need to see.
Like the pic that TRG posted, for one....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:01:16 PM EDT

Damn.

Go all out. Marathon Rambo, Terminator and Missing in Action.
Know the Chuck.

But do any of those have boobies?

What makes Startship Troopers such a cinematic masterpiece is that is has explosions, guns, spaceships, monster AND boobs.

Dang good point!
Getting all those elements in one movie is the mark of a master. Not even Kubrick was THAT good!

SST is not perfect. Where's the kung-fu

DK-Prof, Bad news. Even gay cowboys are more manly than a guy in wood shoes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:18:29 PM EDT

I don't really want to see gay cowboys, but the movie sounds like classic Ang Lee, which is people feeling trapped by their societal restrictions or circumstances.

Think about his movies, and this is a recurring theme.

I have no doubt it's a well made movie, but boys doing boys? I'll wait till it's on USA and all the gruesome is taken out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:14:04 AM EDT
Thanks for sharing, DK but that movie does not appeal to me at all. I will not watch it no matter how many people may recommend it or how many awards it may win.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:06:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 6:07:17 AM EDT by Persephone]

Originally posted by: PlaymoreMinds

Don't worry hun, they're not cowboys, they're sheepboys... not sure whether that makes it better or worse.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:56:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:

I don't really want to see gay cowboys, but the movie sounds like classic Ang Lee, which is people feeling trapped by their societal restrictions or circumstances.

Think about his movies, and this is a recurring theme.

I have no doubt it's a well made movie, but boys doing boys? I'll wait till it's on USA and all the gruesome is taken out.

That was my wife's point - that in some ways it's similar to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, where there is the "forbidden" love between the princess and the rogue (or pirate, or whatever that wild-haired guy was) and the "forbidden" love between the student and the master. That is the component of the film that I think my wife really enjoyed - the tension and development of the inappropriate relationship over time, and the struggle of the participants with it.

So I guess if you wanted to set a movie about forbidden love in the modern western world (70s and 80s), then you probably have to do something a little more interesting than just an affair, or something like that.

I'm glad that Ang Lee at least went with homosexuality, and not something really creepy like pedophilia.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:53:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 8:54:29 AM EDT by steve-oh]
Let me get this straight...

Your wife told you she went to the movie twice because she liked the theme, and you bought it ?? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but she's really just going to watch Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall hit the skins...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:28:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By steve-oh:
Let me get this straight...

Your wife told you she went to the movie twice because she liked the theme, and you bought it ?? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but she's really just going to watch Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall hit the skins...

She said she has trouble dis-associating the guy that played Donnie Darko from his role in that film. I think that's the Gyllenhall guy.

Now THAT's a weird film!
Top Top