Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 2:07:06 PM EDT
the wife is petite.

4'11" @ 120 something.  she's shown interest in shooting clays with me.  she's also said that she kind of likes the AR carbine with the telestock shortened up.

i think i have the AR thing covered - i'd take suggestions regardless.  

as for the shotgun...  caliber?  pump, auto, O/U?  length, weight? etc.  i may have to cut the stock down and put on a pachmyr decelerator - no problem with a mod.  i do, however, require a gun with a small grip or a "slender" profile due to the small size or her hands...

i've found a few "youth guns" but i question them in terms of grip size and such...  any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Should have her try out different ones and see what is most comfortable for her.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as handguns, I'll gladly bow to SP1grrl and SigZiggy's expertise on those. Shotguns? No pump. If she's that little, I think it'd be VERY awkward for her. First gun I ever handled was my Dad's 20 gauge.
And I was about her siz/weight then (I was about 13).

What I know would fill a thimble. But, IMHO I don't think a pump is the way to go for the more petite crowd. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
i was hoping to surprise her, but maybe that's not a good idea.  i suppose a single shot or O/U 20 guage would fill the bill.

maybe something with a grip i could sand down.  if i bought something used or of lower cost i wouldn't feel so bad about sanding it down and cutting a few inches off the stock...

ya think?

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i was hoping to surprise her, but maybe that's not a good idea.  i suppose a single shot or O/U 20 guage would fill the bill.

maybe something with a grip i could sand down.  if i bought something used or of lower cost i wouldn't feel so bad about sanding it down and cutting a few inches off the stock...

ya think?

s.tank

Be carefull cutting and sanding the stock as you don't want to violate the NFA. Also maybe consider a .22 pistol and rifle first before going into anything else.  If she is expirienced though, Maybe consider a good revolver or something simple as far as a handgun goes.  As far as shooting clays it sounds like o/u shotgun is the way to go
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
[eta: (forgot to quote)  Many choose the single shot for a beginner's shotgun -- not a good plan if it's going to get shot much.]

OH, please don't get her anything but an auto -- Shotguns I know a little about.

It's a misconception -- NOTHING will belt you like a single shot, because it's so light.  The double isn't much better -- A SxS hits left, then right, making the O/U the better of the two.

The automatic is the only way to go if she's going to be shooting more than three or four rounds a day.  That's all it takes for me to get a sore cheek with a pump.  Autos are sweet.  Autos rule.  Stock wood is cheap.  Pain is distracting.

Find a youth model automatic in 20g.  Should be just right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
[eta: (forgot to quote)  Many choose the single shot for a beginner's shotgun -- not a good plan if it's going to get shot much.]

OH, please don't get her anything but an auto -- Shotguns I know a little about.

It's a misconception -- NOTHING will belt you like a single shot, because it's so light.  The double isn't much better -- A SxS hits left, then right, making the O/U the better of the two.

The automatic is the only way to go if she's going to be shooting more than three or four rounds a day.  That's all it takes for me to get a sore cheek with a pump.  Autos are sweet.  Autos rule.  Stock wood is cheap.  Pain is distracting.

Find a youth model automatic in 20g.  Should be just right.

sounds like a pretty good plan.  she's shot the 10/22 a few times and dug it.  she's also got a S&W 686 she's pretty handy with when loaded with .38's...  she's a lot better with it than me...  i suppose a 20 guage auto youth gun would do the trick - might double as a good beginner gun for the nieces and nephews if she doesn't like it.

thanks!

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the beretta and benelli catalogs.  Solid semi auto shotguns with modular type stocks, add or subtract plates for length, shims to adjust drop and cast.  The nicest way to fly.  Also a Remington 20 gauge youth might work.  I had an 1100 20 gauage that was a really nice gun to shoot with.  used it for skeet for years.  Depends on her physique, lenth arms etc.  I really think the modulars are the way to go.

I'd recommend a nice 20 gauge.  As inexpensive to shoot as a 12, a bit milder, but not as expensive or limiting as a 28 or .410.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top