Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 8:41:07 PM EDT
This is serious question and is not intended to be sexist in any way. I have a dog that sheds like crazy, and my current vaccum cleaner (Hoover Sprint Bagless Vac) isn't quite cutting it. I don't like the bagless either, because whenever I empty the receptical I always end up spilling a small amount of the crap that I just vaccumed up.

I would have posted this question in GD, but less not kid ourselves. Those guys don't vaccum!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Shop vac

All hardwood floors... it works well.

Have you ever tried to use the attachments to vacuum the dog?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife just bought a Dyson with her Christmas cash.  She got the bigger one the DC14 I think.  We have a Jack Russell and he sheds but he has short hair.  It work very well and is quieter than our Dirt Devil was.  Other than the $550 price tag I would recomend the Dyson even though it is a bag less the way it handles the dirt is so much better all the other bagless vacs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Kenmore - with the hypo filter. Does a great job.

Mrs. L_d
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Rainbow.  Yeah I know they're pricey as hell, but it was a good investment.  Mine is 11 years old now and still runs like new, and you never have to purchase bags or filters for it.  It traps the dirt and pet hair in water, which you just dump out and water doesn't release dust or allergens back into the air.  Does hard floors, carpet, stairs easily.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
We bought the yellow Dyson almost three years ago and love it.  Works as advertised.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You might try giving your dog a tsp of garlic powder and a tblspoon of olive oil to cut down on the shedding.  If its has long hair they sell these mitts that you can wash your dogs with that help with the shedding too.  Just pet your dog with the mitts while watching tv.  

I have a cheap hoover.  I only have a small area of carpet though.  The majority of my house is pergo.  Nice tip HH to use the shop vac!  I sweep it daily.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an Oreck, which I love, and I have 3 cats.  It does a better job than anything I've ever used before, and it's very lightweight.

It came with a free cannister vac, which I use just as much.  It's perfect on the stairs, and has attachments for the hardwood floors and tile floors.

It was 300.00, but worth every penny.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a cheap hoover.  I only have a small area of carpet though.  The majority of my house is pergo.  Nice tip HH to use the shop vac!  I sweep it daily.

Patty

Takes roughly 15 minutes to vacuum the whole house.  Kinda nice
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#9]
taggage...I have gone thru 7 vacuum cleaners in approx 15 years.
Was thinking about a Dyson, but Glockgirl has my interest with her Rainbow that is 11 years old!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a small apartment, so I use a Eureka Lightweight bagless vacuum.  I can't find it on their site, but I really like it.  Works well on my carpets and my hardwood floors.  I'm not in the city right now, but I think it is this one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
taggage...I have gone thru 7 vacuum cleaners in approx 15 years.
Was thinking about a Dyson, but Glockgirl has my interest with her Rainbow that is 11 years old!

I paid $1000 for mine early in 1995.  Like I said, it still works like new.  I've had the motor serviced once, to clean, lube, and replace a bearing, that cost less than $50.  You just put water in the reservoir, and dump it when you're done cleaning, so there's no constant cost of filters or bags.  My mom has one that is almost as old as me (I'm 29) and it still works, and my grandma has one that is even older, so I knew that even though it was so expensive initially,  it would last and I'd get my money's worth in the long run.  And I find it much more useful than an upright sweeper.  It goes into a lot tighter spaces than any upright, and comes with attachments so you can do upholstery, dust, and do stairs with it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#12]
We got the purple Dyson (Animal) and it works great for our two dogs if the ole lady will use it.

It feels kinda cheap (plastic = light weight) but it works very well.

The beater picks up my daughters hair and wraps it around it which must be cut away, I had that problem with the old Hoover too.

It is easy to dump, the hose and tools are easy to use.

Bestbuy has it on sale every now and then so the 500+ bucks it costs can go for their reward points which will help save some green on another purchase.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#13]
a Dyson DC04 (grey one with purple trimmings) - it copes with our 19 cats, so I imagine that a Jack Russell wouldnt faze it.

Hey, post 308!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My wife just bought a Dyson with her Christmas cash.  She got the bigger one the DC14 I think.  We have a Jack Russell and he sheds but he has short hair.  It work very well and is quieter than our Dirt Devil was.  Other than the $550 price tag I would recomend the Dyson even though it is a bag less the way it handles the dirt is so much better all the other bagless vacs.

Just got the Dyson DC14 Animal as well. Works great! My wife loves it. Very quiet too. Picked it up on ebay for $430 shipped
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
if the ole lady will use it.

You did not just do that ..........in here!

LEt the games begin.

ETA:Sorry dude couldnt pass it up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Another satisfied Dyson owner. Got the 'Animal' and it keeps up with my dog and 2 cats just fine.
Very light, very quiet, ridiculously easy to empty.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#18]
i use a cheap eureka, at the moment

when i worked for marry maids, i used an oreck

i recommend them highly
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Everyone is going to say Dyson, and that's fine, they're great, but I can't stomach paying that kind of $$$ for a damn vacuum.  Let alone the even nicer Miele ($1000!).  So I have a Kenmore Progressive canister vac, it does the job and does it well, and it only cost $300 new.  I give it two thumbs up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife splurged and bought a Rainbow canister a few years back. $1200 bucks (OUCH!), but damn I gotta admit it's nice.

Works great, very efficient and the warranty is as promised....the one thing on it we broke they replaced in less than a day via a repair shop.

It's quiet too, which is nice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:04:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Vacuum cleaner?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Simplicity 7300, has a HEPA filter on it.
One of our girls has childhood asthma, it was recommended by our Dr.
Thing is four years old and still works great, beats Hoover, Kirby, everything I have used.
Its light and our kids can now do the vacuming themselves. don't know how it compares to Dyson. Does Dyson have a HEPA filter?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I recently bought a house with all the stuff in it, included.  The lady that died had a Singer powermaster vaccuum.  I'm in love with it.  The thing is amazing.  It's probably older than god, but I've never had a vaccuum like this one.  I'm sure that they no longer make them this well  or maybe they don't make this brand of vaccuum at all anymore
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#26]
nothing sux like Electrolux. I got my mine for free
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#27]
http://www.drdynamics.com/products/ShedEnderTag/Default.asp?GCID=C16796x001&KEYWORD=shed%20ender%20home&bhcp=1

Girlfriend says to try this....for shedding dog....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I got a Kirby I paid $100 for
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Hoover Wind Tunnel.
I like uprights for carpet, but now that I have replaced most of my carpet with hard wood floors I may not get an upright next time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top