Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2017 2:21:04 PM EDT
Her birthday is next month and I want to get something for her that allows her to still carry when out for runs or when she won't necessarily have a purse or clutch present. 
Ultimately, this will come down to us walking down the lineup and her trying out to see which feels best in her hands but I certainly appreciate any input and experience to help whittle down the prospects. 
She has no experience with concealing a pistol. This will be a new endeavor. 
She's small. Small hands, but she has the grip strength to manipulate any semi auto slide we've handled. 
We have learned that she absolutely does NOT like the recoil on my G30SF. She fires it well, but it's unpleasant. 
Thanks in advance! 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought my wife and daughter SIG 238s. Probably a mistake since they do not practice as much as they need to. Single action like a Colt 45 auto, the recoil is nice but as with any semi-auto- familiarity is the key. When the Adrenalin is flowing is not the time to remember all that I showed them on safeties, mis-feeds, ejection issues, plus keeping a round in the chanber and safety on does not sit with them well.

I gave my daughter my old Charter Arms Undercover in 38 special- that is the way to go (small revolver). Draw- point, and pull trigger. But most important teaching is staying out of any potential situation where you might have to use it (all of our goals). The Sig is now a range gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock 42. Easy to rack and easy to shoot. Load it with Underwoods Xtreme Penetrator 90gr. Or Hornady Custom XTP/ Hornady American Gunner's
I chose the Underwoods. In my Ballistic Gel testing they penetrated to 17" through 4 layers of denim.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the S&W M&P9 Shield.  Fit my wife's hand perfectly and she could easily operate it. And the Performance Center version has some really nice features.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Shield and the 4o series Glocks are all on the short list! 

I guess while I'm at it, does anyone have input on activewear concealment? Belly band holsters, etc? Anything that pairs up nicely with a jogging belt? 
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Belly band under a loose t-shirt or iwb at appendix or sob.  A baseball batting jacket works well on cooler days.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the Sig 238.  The 938 is nice option for a little more pop.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a look at the Walther PPS.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Most women seem to love the little Sig 238 handgun, easy to rack the slide and the recoil of the 380acp isn't so bad. The Sig 938 is good also, it's the bigger brother in 9mm. I also really like the Shield 9mm. The Sig's are guns you carry a lot, but shoot a little. Have to change recoil springs out often if you shoot them a lot. The Shield is a solid little gun, can take a steady diet of 9mm no problem, but it's a little larger gun and harder to rack the slide. I also enjoy carrying a S&W 642 snub, however the recoil can be harsh for most women. A steel framed 38 snub would be easier to shoot. 
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
My sammich maker carries a Glock 42, she picked it and shoots it well
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got a Shield in 40.  

For my hand it had a bit too much bite into my palm due to the narrow grip and the abuse my hands get.  Put the Hogue Handall Beavertail grip on it and while it's not something I want to run a few hundred rounds through a lot, it's not too bad.  Typically I wear a women's large glove, so for a girl my hands aren't petite.  
The plan is to replace the trigger as I'm not a fan of it.  
Saw complaints about the slide being too hard to rack and magazine springs too tough to load.  At first everything was tight/stiff, got about 250 rounds through it now and it's pretty smooth.  Some days I have awesome grip strength, other days I can't open a jar of peanut butter.  
It's not too bad to conceal on body, looking for more options than just the IWB I picked up.  Not too much in to jogging and more likely to open carry when I do, so no help there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw someone post about the 238.

I would suggest just going up to the 938, recoil between the two is minimal.
If in a SD situation, the extra smidge of 9mm, will be unnoticeable.

I pack them all over, vehicles, backpacks, and my personal favorite is the pocket clip.
Normally carry it at the 1 o' clock position, very comfortable, doesn't print.

Leather and kydex holsters can be had, but I still prefer the pocket clip.

At the time, I chose to go with the "extreme" series, as it was the same price, but included a 7 and 6 round mag.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife has the P238 as well..  And she is looking for holster options since she only has the Sig OWB holster for it.    And I would like her to change to a pocket holster since she bumps into people and places at times and want to keep it concealed.    But pocket holsters can be a challenge since women's pants pockets are smaller than a guys.    She might stay with OWB for the faster draw ; again her choice and all..
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
<<<< Actual female

I love my shield.

However, you said she has no experience carrying. Does she want to carry?
Carrying while running is different than just being out and about too.
Its one thing for you to want her to carry and another for her to understand how serious it is and want to too. When you put on a gun, you are saying you are prepared to take a life to protect yours.
You cant just slap a gun on.

I would get her comfortable with a holster first. If she wants to. Then have her carry places that she goes on a normal day.

And get her on here to talk to us females!
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock 42. Easy to rack and easy to shoot. Load it with Underwoods Xtreme Penetrator 90gr. Or Hornady Custom XTP/ Hornady American Gunner's
I chose the Underwoods. In my Ballistic Gel testing they penetrated to 17" through 4 layers of denim.
View Quote
Came to post this.

Easily one of the most accurate and soft shooting micro pistols out there.

Have old die hard wheelgun loving glock hating shooters that have admitted they will be adding one to their collections.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Shield and the 4o series Glocks are all on the short list! 

I guess while I'm at it, does anyone have input on activewear concealment? Belly band holsters, etc? Anything that pairs up nicely with a jogging belt? 
View Quote
These come highly recommended by a few people I trust.  
PISTOL WEAR

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Sig 229 SAS, got her a 938 but was to small to shoot comfortabley for her.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
<<<< Actual female

I love my shield.

However, you said she has no experience carrying. Does she want to carry?
Carrying while running is different than just being out and about too.
Its one thing for you to want her to carry and another for her to understand how serious it is and want to too. When you put on a gun, you are saying you are prepared to take a life to protect yours.
You cant just slap a gun on.

I would get her comfortable with a holster first. If she wants to. Then have her carry places that she goes on a normal day.

And get her on here to talk to us females!
View Quote
It is a post like this one that makes me wish we could give "reputation points" here on ARfcom!

Very well said.

--------------------------

To the OP:

Have her check out Kathy Jackson's website www.corneredcat.com and buy her the following two books.
- The Cornered Cat: A Women's Guide to Concealed Carry by Kathy Jackson
- The Law of Self-Defense by Atty. Andrew Branca
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I came here to post about TheCorneredCat.com, but the infinite wisdom of LenS beat me to it. I've heard several women who've visited that site, and they all have nothing but praise for it.

Also, for pretty near universal retention, consider TheHolsterKing. It's pretty nearly a universal holster, capable of IWB or OWB carry. Its retention clip is very aggressive, to the point of being a PITA to put on. This is a big plus in my opinion.
I've been using it for 3-4 months now and love it! I've used it with my J-frame S&W 640-1 (about the size of Snake's Charter Arms)

and my Springfield XD-45

I'm a pretty hefty guy, so the XD conceals pretty well at the three o'clock position. I just mention this because it illustrates the versatility of this holster.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh wow, I was pretty surprised to see this thread pop up in my subscriptions.

A year on, some updates:

She's being carrying/using her BG380 and really likes it.

I had been trying to get her comfortable with on-body carry (she's had it in a purse or in a jogger's belt) however...

She's pregnant now so we haven't been shooting for six months...

Some great info in here! I'll have to check out the suggestions above for literature.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#20]
My wife is happy with her Shield 9.
But she's very experienced pistol shooter and an NRA Instructor......
If your wife is comfortable with the Shield it's an excellent choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top