Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2002 8:53:56 PM EDT
Hi all.  I'm new to this board, just stumbled onto it and I'm very excited.  I have been a lifelong trap shooter with a love for the Remington 1100's.  I'm a woman who just turned 24 and will finally be able to purchase myself a handgun, but I don't have much experience with them.  I have fired a Sig p230 and an HK P7, and liked both of them, but not for very long.  I like 9mms and am looking for a self-defense weapon I can also enjoy shooting, and I am also a lefty.  I have been told that the HK USP9 is lefty friendly, any personal experience on that?

Sorry...I have done some research and have narrowed the search to Sig Sauer P226 and the
HK USP9...does anyone have any thoughts on them?  

Finally, I am currently in L.A., but will be moving to San Diego in 2 months.  Does anyone know of a good range down there that has a practical shooting course?  Thank you very much for all your help in advance.  Happy trails!
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey tjmz,

Try the HK USP .9mm compact, our agency is in the process of phasing out all our .9mm Barettas and issuing HK USP pistols.  Our firearms comitee did a long study and evaluation of several weapons which included the Sig Sauer and many others.   The final outcome was the HK USP in .40 caliber.  The .9mm is basically the same gun in a smaller cal.  I think the Sig would also be a fine choice however, I have had years of experience with the HK and have found it to be a very reliable, trouble free and fine shooting weapon.  Good luck!
[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=DUKE76&album_id=99164&image_id=3&courtesy=1[/img]
Oh, by the way.... congrats on your move to San Diego!  I love it down there, especially the Del Mar - La Jolla area.  Can't wait to get back!
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I do have the Sig 228, It is the smaller version of the p226. I like how it shoots.
The H&K you are looking at is it the compact or the full size?

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 12:36:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't decided which.  I've been told that there isn't much of a difference between the recoil of the compact vs. the full, but I haven't yet had the oportunity to test it myself.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I haven't decided which.  I've been told that there isn't much of a difference between the recoil of the compact vs. the full, but I haven't yet had the oportunity to test it myself.
View Quote

Have you tried looking for an indoor range that has handgun rentals? This may be your best bet in deciding what sidearm to go with. What part of the USA are you in? I'm sure there are enough people here on the board to make recommendations for a good rental location for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top