Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/24/2010 4:30:45 AM EDT
Like the title says. My GF is wanting to Rush in a couple weeks and I don't think its a good idea. Does anyone have any insight into this situation? She is a conservative and a shooter so I would hate to have to eject because some frat tool can't behave himself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 4:48:21 AM EDT
Oh how I loved the sorority girls when I was in college. I'm sure your gf will be different than all the rest of them though
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:20:44 AM EDT
Yeah doubtful hence my concern. I just need to find a way to talk her out of it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:28:34 AM EDT
I've been in a few
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:39:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2010 5:39:37 AM EDT by Combat_Jack]
A girl I've been hanging out with was in one and tells me that it's not like you see on TV.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:52:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
A girl I've been hanging out with was in one and tells me that it's not like you see on TV.

Meaning what excatly?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:56:03 AM EDT
ok, I'll be the first to say it... In for pics.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:56:44 AM EDT
No wild parties, orgies, hazing, etc. Now, she's only been in one chapter of one sorority, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:13:34 AM EDT
I wonder if the sorority she wants to join is like the one in Sorority Boys.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:26:10 AM EDT
I haven't been in one, but I know several people who have. Not all sororities are party clubs. If you can't trust her to behave herself in a group of women, then there are bigger issues.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 2:29:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cat_aclysm:
I haven't been in one, but I know several people who have. Not all sororities are party clubs. If you can't trust her to behave herself in a group of women, then there are bigger issues.

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 2:44:33 PM EDT
Never was in a sorority, just a few sorority girls.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 3:31:34 PM EDT
Let her rush. If she sees that she likes it then so be it. Don't try to make her feel bad about it or pressure her out of it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 3:59:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cat_aclysm:

as always, the voice of wisdom and reason
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 4:08:27 PM EDT
Ah sorostitutes.

Memories.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:54:09 PM EDT
I dated several girls from several sororities in college, and I can tell you overall which ones had hot girls. That's the extent of my advice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:18:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SpeechPathJunkie:
Let her rush. If she sees that she likes it then so be it. Don't try to make her feel bad about it or pressure her out of it.

Thats basically what I am thinking I am going to do. Gonna have a conversation about it ahead of time and express my opinion but let her know I support and trust her and let her decide from there. I trust her but don't trust the majority of Frat guys.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:19:42 PM EDT
I am a fallen sorority girl. (It was leave or be kicked out.) My personal experience tells me that she'll probably not enjoy it if she is a person who doesn't need a lot of confirmation from other females. I joined because my boyfriend (now husband) had a great time when he was in a frat and had developed lots of long-term friendships and he felt that I could do the same. The only problem is, I generally can't stand women. (Or maybe just all the ones in my sorority were whiny and overly needy?) Either way, it needs to be her decision.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:10:35 PM EDT
Every sorority and every chapter is different. If she really wants to do this, she will find the chapter that is right for her.

I dated three different sorority girls and ended up marrying the last one. Yes, there were some sluts in the different sororities but they were sluts before joining. A sorority or fraternity doesn't change you. Well, it might because my fraternity changed me in a very positive way but that is a totally different discussion. The majority of the girls I still keep up with 20 years later have solid relationships and families. The few that were flaky before the sorority, were flaky while in the sorority and are still flaky.

Sounds like cat_aclysm is on to something.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:41:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Some_Beach:
Ah sorostitutes.

Memories.

yeah... i miss LSU
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:52:48 PM EDT
Shit is lame

Paid friends is all

My wife was in one, had to pay dues to be in there, and if you chose not to go to an event you had to pay a fine. WTF?

Also a bunch of catty bitches, On the bright side her "friends" will most likely try to fuck you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:57:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FJ_Wheeler:
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Meaning what excatly?

No naked pillow fights.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:42:32 PM EDT
I participated in formal recruitment and pledged Phi Mu. I would say that formal recruitment is a wonderful experience even if she decides not to pledge with a sorority. I met so many different people and made great network connections. I lived in house for one year and loved it! Each house is different, but I really felt connected with a small group of the girls from mine. It is not just a party scene there is a lot more to the Greek system that people do not notice. I would encourage her as long as she has a desire to do it.

Another note, as it goes with most things in life, the experience that is had depends on the effort one puts into it.

Where is she going to college at?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:04:13 AM EDT
Georgia State and was planning on going Phi Mu but after our talk we decided and she agrees that in her first semester it would be too much going on and she wouldn't have time to do it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:20:25 AM EDT
The ones I can tell are sorrority girls, I don't care for in school, but chances are that there's a lot more girls I can't spot who are actually sorrority girls. The normal ones just don't draw attention to themselves.

And like MarianLibrarian said, I also don't care much for my gender.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:57:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:09:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By habsfan44:
I participated in formal recruitment and pledged Phi Mu. I would say that formal recruitment is a wonderful experience even if she decides not to pledge with a sorority. I met so many different people and made great network connections. I lived in house for one year and loved it! Each house is different, but I really felt connected with a small group of the girls from mine. It is not just a party scene there is a lot more to the Greek system that people do not notice. I would encourage her as long as she has a desire to do it.

Another note, as it goes with most things in life, the experience that is had depends on the effort one puts into it.

Where is she going to college at?

I agree with the above in that her success depends on how much she is willing to put into it. I didn't go through formal rush so I didn't get to see what the other sororities had to offer that was bad decision on my part. I found that I didn't have the ability to spread myself so thin. They are required to do so much and of course keep your grades up. I was a Delta Zeta and we were the only non drinkin sorority which really just meant that everyone pregamed before they went and tried to hide the drinking while at sorority functions. They are required to have drop-ins with a different fraternity every few weeks plus all the Greek only events. If you are a jealous person then I don't see yall sticking together if she joins.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:56:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:02:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:08:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:26:35 PM EDT
It may just be the region I live in, but out of the 12 or 13 sororities that were on my campus none of them ever requested such a task or anything remotely close to such behavior. Even after sharing stories and such with women from other chapters within my sorority I have never heard of such a thing.

Sad to hear that something like that was being tolerated for so long
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:34:17 PM EDT
Top Top