Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2002 8:52:42 AM EDT
We have had women in support roles in combat for 50 years but every time I ask a simple question I get blank stares.

Give one example of a U.S. service woman operating in a modern theatre (Desert Storm, Vietnam, Korea) who has used a weapon in an offensive role. You think a MASH nurse somewhere at a forward fire base when the base was being overrun would have picked up a rifle. I have found nothing. Any help would be appreciated. As far as weight of packs, pushups, and other crap we can beat that dead horse all day long.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC during Just Cause a female Capt of the Army MPs engaged the PDF with her sidearm when her company wasfired upon. HTH
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
well, that's a start.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Also check back issues of SOF. Female F18 pilots were involved in "Desert Fox" series of air strikes on Iraq durring Slick Willie`s watch. I believe they deployed off the USS Abraham Lincoln.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Just Cause in Panama.  That same Female Captain that was mentioned above had a female gunner on her gun truck (i.e. Hummvee).  They had to secure a bridge from PDF forces and she (the gunner) definately used the M60 in an offensive manner.  There were three other female MPs in the same company, all of which used their weapons in direct action.  The MPs mission was to secure routes of movement, so that's what they did.  They had sufficient focre to accomplish the mission (i.e. take the bridge), so they did so rather than having to tie up a tactical force to do that.  

Ross
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, there was a female pilot during WWII that shot down an attacking plane or two. Can't remember the specifics though.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top