Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 39
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:34:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#1]
Stalingrad by Paul Carrell.

ETA:  It's more about the campaign leading up to the destruction of the Sixth Army than actual battles in the city.

For anyone who wants to read about the fighting in Stalingrad, Walter Craig's Enemy At The Gates is superb.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Tanks: A Century of Tank Warfare.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#3]
"Foxy 29" From the Sea Came Heroes by Chief Sardo. It's about a LCT set up as a hospital evacuation ship.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Re-reading "Democracy in America.  de Tocqueville.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Fred Zeglin's P. O. Ackley: America's Gunsmith. Read up to Chapter 6 last night. Fascinating read.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Still reading P. O. Ackley: America's Gunsmith, but finished Defender of the Philippines by P40 pilot David Obert. Obert is a lucky one to have been flown out of the Philippines at the last minute. He later served in the Med. and rose to the rank of Col. in the reserves.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Passchendaele: The Lost Victory of World War I by Nick Lloyd, I have enjoyed it quite a bit so far!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Very in depth read on Stalingrad.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Paul Carrell's book, Stalingrad, was much more on the campaign with virtually nothing on the siege.  It was the only disappointing book of his that I've read.

Currently I'm reading D. Render's Tank Action.  Render was a troop commander in the Sherwood Ranger Yeomanry.  It has accounts of tank v. tank actions including one in which his squadron commander's short barrel Sherman captured a Tiger I.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]
With Zeal and with Bayonets Only: The British Army on Campaign in North America, 1775-1783 by Matthew Spring
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Holee Schmolies. A history subforum...I'm reading A World Undone by G.J. Meyer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#13]
"The Devil is Here in These Hills: West Virginia's Coal Miners and Their Battle for Freedom" by James Green. I'm about halfway through it.

It covers the development of the coal industry in WV and how the miners ended up as little more than indentured servants, tried to unionize, were beat down, and how it got to actual armed conflict several times, culminating in 1921 with the Miners' March and the US Army being called in.

I've read other books on the subject, such "Thunder in the Mountains" and "Bloodletting in Appalachia" and Green's book is comprehensive, but doesn't really break any new ground.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Jack Kleiss' Never Call Me A Hero.  Naval aviator who bombed the Natori (light CL) and at Midway, the Kaga, Hiryu (both carriers) and Mikuma (heavy cruiser)
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Dangerous by Milo
About a third the way through it now
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Studs Terkel:  "The Good War".
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Re reading "Democracy in America", De Tocqueville
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Marlborough: England's fragile genius by Richard Holmes.

I didn't really know much about the war of Spanish Succession before, it's quite interesting :)
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm almost done With Zeal and With Bayonet and I stopped reading it to read Fuso & Ise Class Battleships as well as American Battleships, Carriers and Cruisers. The latter is a small book that would have been awesome to have back in the '60s when it was published.  It's a good small reference book with a good balance of data, pictures and text.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Delgado's Bounty Hunters
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Dirty War: Rhodesian Chemical and Biological Warfare 1975-1980 by Glenn Cross
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#22]
H.W. Brands Traitor to His Class, the Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm splitting my time between a health book and Maj. John Plaster's Sniping in World War I.  To his credit, he addresses areas of foreign sniping not covered by the late Peter Senich.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:43:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jinxsters] [#24]
Just finished up reading Storm before the Storm by Mike Duncan. Excellent book. Highly recommend.

Probably thinking about re-reading Thomas Asbridge The Crusades, or possibly the Plantagenist by Dan Jones.

Still looking for a decent book on the Caroliginians too though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Reading For Dummies
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:18:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#26]
Down to the Wire by Caitlin Casey.  Casey was a student at The College of the Ozarks when she was fortunate to be put on a tour with 101 Screaming Eagle vet John Primerano.  This is Primerano's story as told to Casey.  Casey also did research into the war and was able to cast Primerano's story as part of the greater effort to liberate Europe and destroy Nazi Germany.

John's mother, Mildred Primerano was working as an inspector in a rubber factory that had converted its production line to make batteries.  She spots a defect and calls a halt to the production.  Her boss comes over and asks what's up.  She points out the crack and he tells her its fine.  She stands her ground and says her son is out there and his life and the lives of other sons may depend on their batteries and she's not going to let it go.  The on site Navy Commander is summoned and asks who the inspector is and what the inspector thinks.  She says she is and that it fails.  Good enough for the Commander who rejects the batteries.  

During the Battle of the Bulge, Primerano walks into a church to escape the shelling.  The roof is damaged and a ray of light shines down from outside right on the statute of Jesus.  Primerano asks, "Why have you forsaken me?"  At that moment, he feels someone or something grab him by the shoulder and assures him that he will be OK.  Assauged of his fears, he exits the church back into the shelling and fighting only this time he is confident that he is OK.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I Do Wish This Cruel War Was Over, ed by Christ and Williams.   It's a collection of first person accounts originally published by the Arkansas Historical Quarterly.  Good reading if you want to read about the Civil War in Arkansas.

Now I'm onto John J.'s Journal: A Civil War Diary.  It is the military record of John J. Fischer of the 49th New York Volunteer Infantry.  Edited by Dallman, it has on one page the diary entry of the soldier and on the oppsite the transcription of it in regular print.  That's rare in a modern book and it makes it more valuable in that you as the reader can see for yourself if the transcription is correct.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Missouri Brothers in Gray. The Reminiscences and Letters of William J. Bull and John P. Bull
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Red Platoon. Found out a buddy of mine was featured heavily in it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm reading "I Acted From Principle" about the Civil War Diary of Dr. William McPheeters. McPheeters was a southern sympathizer in St. Louis, MO. The Provost Marshal knew of his southern symphathies and assessed him $2k which was collected by a lieutenant and four men who entered his house and removed a lot of furniture including a piano. When it was determined that the objects were insufficient, a second entry was made and virtually everything else was removed; leaving McPheeters' home bare. McPheeters then traveled by horseback to Richmond where he secured an appointment as a surgeon and returned to serve in the Trans-Mississippi area.

So, by what means did the Provost bypass the Fourth Amendment protection against unlawful seizure? Has anybody else read of this lawful wartime thievery?
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#31]
An Uncommon Solider: The Civil War Letters of Sarah Rosetta Wakeman alais pvt. Lyons Walkeman, 153 Regiment, New York State Volunteers, 1862-1864 edited by Lauren Cook Burgess.  Wakeman is a boat(wo)man who is recruited by the 153rd New York Volunteer Infantry.  (S)he along with the regiment does garrison duty around Washington, D.C., until they are sent on the ill fated Red River Campaign led by Nathaniel Banks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#32]
A History of Chemical and Biological Weapons by Edward M. Spiers
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 7:12:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#33]
Just finished Ian Knight's Boer Guerrilla versus British Mounted Soldier and starting Reluctant Cannoneer: The Diary of Robert T. McMahan of the Twenty-Fifth Indpendent Ohio Light Artillery. Picked up the latter at Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park.

If you've never been to Praire Grove, go!  Arkansas State Park system has done a wonderful job of interpretation and has both a walking tour and a driving tour of the battlefied.  The Hindman Center has a nice little museum and some wonderful paintings of the battle.  It's also not far from Pea Ridge National Battlefield Park.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Tom McCarthy's The Greatest Sniping Stories Ever Told.  Basically it is a rehash of things found in other books.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#35]
About to start A Handful of Hard Men: the SAS and the Battle for Rhodesia by Hannes Wessels
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Teamer:
Red Platoon. Found out a buddy of mine was featured heavily in it.
View Quote
When I visited The College of the Ozarks, they had a display of grads who were vets.  One vet served in A 1/1 Marines and was among the first to enter Hue City.  Holy sh*t!  I had a coworker who served alongside him (same unit/time).  I took an image of the photo and sent it to a cousin who attends reunions of the sheriff's department.  Hopefully my cousin can get the picture to him.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#37]
In the Garden of Beasts.   About Dodd's appointment to Berlin in 1933 as US ambassador.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#38]
Carl Molesworth's Sharks Over China: The 23rd Fighter Group in World War II.  It's about the fighter wing that replaced the AVG (Flying Tigers).  Got a virtually new copy for $2 at the library bookstore

Link Posted: 12/20/2017 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Duty, Honor and Country by Michael Banasik.  Civil War letters from a captain in the 37th Illinois.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#40]
Just finished Avenging Angels.  Just started The Unwomanly Face of War.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Q-Ships and Their Story
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Forgotten soldier
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Finished Hitler's Holy Relics yesterday and Alex Kershaw's Escape From the Deep today.  The latter is about the final cruise of the submarine Tang and the epic account of how some of her crew escaped her when she sank and their ordeal as PoWs in Japan.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#44]
On to Petersburg.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Shadows of a Forgotten Past: To the Edge with the Rhodesian SAS and Selous Scouts by Paul French
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
I decided to finally read Band of Brothers the other day. I am a little over half way through it. It is pretty good so far and an easy read. How about you guys?
View Quote
i just read a very interesting book, maybe also for some of you guys..it's called Iron hulls, iron hearts. i think that everyOne interested in the North African World War two campaign should Read this
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Re-reading "The German Generals Talk," by B.H. Lidell Hart (1948).  The author interviewed many German officers immediately after WWII.  Years ago I found their operational insights interesting in spite of the moral issues.  I was in the Middle East last month and spoke to a German Infantryman who had interesting insights on small unit tactics.  That conversation sent me back to this book.  The Wermacht excelled at creating defensive tactical scenarios during offensive operations and were amply staffed with men who could keep fighting units supplied and moving.  That let them succeeded when they were far outnumbered and their opponents had air superiority.  Unfortunately, they were not amply staffed with senior leaders who put their countrymen ahead of their careers; especially in the critical, early, years of the war.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Almost done with On To Petersburg and just glancing through the Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#49]
By Honor Bound - by Tom Norris and Mike Thorton, with Dick Couch

The only time in military history when one Medal of Honor recipient saved the life of another Medal of Honor recipient - the book details what happened in the mission, as well as what has happened to them afterwards.

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Ralph Henry's First with the Most on Nathan Bedford Forrest.
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top