Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 10:40:51 AM EDT
I had stated awhile ago that my Father worked at the Frankford Arsenal during the 60's and I have some questions for the G.I.'s.  First, I was discharged in 12/64 from the A.F. so what he showed me was interesting.  He had Two 7.62 rounds that were for a single loading.  The rear of one was hollowed out for the nose of the other round and the rear round had a base that was slanted to cause the back round to take a different flight path once discharged.  The other he called a SPEW and it looked like a tiny javelin, pointed on both ends.  The spew he showed was supposed to be a multiple loading which I guessed was for a shotgun round.  Anyone recall these making it to the field for combat use?  THKS for your help.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
The cartridge with two rounds was called a duplex cartridge (not to be confused with a duplex load, which is a cartridge using two different powders).  To the best of my knowledge, it was experimented with but never issued.  (The military also experimented with triplex cartridges, which contain three rounds.)

The SPIV (Special Purpose Individual Weapon) was supposed to replace the M16 but never did.  Actually the M-16 was adopted as an interim weapon till the SPIV could be perfected.  I have no knowledge of the javelin shaped projectiles that you describe having been used in Vietnam.

Flechettes definitely were used there in shotguns and other weapons.  They were shaped like javelins except they had tail fins.  They looked very much like very small models of a rocket.  These were discussed in some detail in a very recent post.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, 199 & Forest.  You would both know that the F.A. experimented with many things and my father worked in the small arms department.  He didn't have much to say too often, but he loved the job.  He liked the young engineers because he said they often bought things out-of-pocket rather than wait for Uncle Sam to provide them.  Again, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I know they exist because I have a box.  I would be interested in learning more about their history.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
If I remember the bullets are small/light I think in the 75 gr. region.  One is slightly heavier than the other.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:29:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks, 199 & Forest.  You would both know that the F.A. experimented with many things and my father worked in the small arms department.  He didn't have much to say too often, but he loved the job.  He liked the young engineers because he said they often bought things out-of-pocket rather than wait for Uncle Sam to provide them.  Again, thanks.
View Quote

Voodoo - your dad probably knew my dad! My dad was an engineer in small arms at APG from WWII through 1972. He was involved with SPIW testing (he doesn't have much good to say about it though!).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top