Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2001 3:53:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Lee enfields arent exactly hard to find pieces in Canada, there are many thousands still going around right now and I dont think you would get over 500$ for a enfield even with a good buyer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
A few years ago, there were some SMLE's from
Ireland in new condition and they sold for
$259.95.  Alas, I missed out on those. These
were Number IV Mark II versions.  John
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a No4mk1(F) in cosmoline a few years ago. As soon as I got home I started the nasty job of degreasing the pig.

It had used wood, but not too bad. But imagine my suprise when I found out it had a NEW barrel, with beautiful bluing. Found out later it is a South African barrel. Gee, what stories this rifle could tell.

I shot the heck out of it and love the thing.

If yours is original, I think I would leave it. If it has been rebuilt, clean it and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#5]
If it is a No. 4, it is NOT Aussie. The boys down under only made No. 1s.....

Scott

P.S. Have a hundred or so different LEs. And they are ALL a little different....

Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot it, please. My Indian SMLE is one of my most accurate rifles. I think a gun left unshot is like a virgin dying, a waste.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Come to think of it. The last deer I shot was with my Enfield. Full wood and open sights.

Set new records with it. Like;
Longest shot I ever made on a deer.
Largest Doe I ever shot.
Furtherest I ever had to drag a critter.

Now I seem to look for elk instead.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The one Number 4 Mk1* I did once own was very
accurate.  From  what people told me, headspacing could be a problem if I was to reload .303 ammo. John
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not so much the headspace is the problem it's the generous cut of the chamber.

The .303 Brit. headspaces on the rim. But the Brits. cut the chamber shoulders deep. So when you fire a cartridge the shoulder moves forward, a long ways. Compare a fired case to an unfired one.

I am only able to get 3-5 reloads per case before they start to separate.

I have a project started where I sized virgin brass and necked it up to .35 before full sizing to the point of fitting the chamber. In essence, I moved the shoulder forward before the case was fired. Hopefully this will increase case life.

I have these loaded, I just need to "un"load them. Maybe I'll start this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Shoot it!!  I have one of those Mk.II's that was new.  WAS!!  Now it's up around 4000 rounds.  I LOVE shooting SMLE's.

If you're having problems with brass life I have a suggestion.  Neck size instead of full length.  This will work particularly well if you only shoot the ammo through one gun.  I actually have to load two types of .303 as my shooter SMLE is MUCH different in the chamber than my Pattern 14 Enfield.

Hope this helps.

CB

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Yea, I do neck size the brass. It's just that you blow that shoulder so far forward on the first firing that case life is severally shortened.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#13]
You might want to try annealing the shoulder and neck area before the first loading of virgin brass. This might help keep the splitting or separation to a minimum.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Shoot it!

The No4 Mk2 is a wonderful rifle. I own one of the "unissued" rifles. i cleaned it up, and I shoot it regularly. It is not as accurate as it could be though... The bastards at Century import marked the muzzle a little too roughly which caused a small raised spot in the bore.

It will still shoot around 5" at 100 yards with military ball though.

Check out  the Lee-Enfield collectors forum at GunandKnife.com
[url]http://www.gunandknife.com/forums/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top