Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2005 8:23:47 PM EDT
What’s your favorite battle?

My personal favorite is the German counter offensive at Kharkov (Feb 1943). Field Marshall Erich von Manstein was a genius.

Link Posted: 11/3/2005 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
So many to choose from but I'll say Stalingrad.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Iwo Jima

Link Posted: 11/5/2005 2:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Battle of Agincourt 1415

Henry V and 6000 troops defeated a French force of 25,000.  Accurate English Long Bows, and arrogant French knights stuck in the mud.  English casulties were 200, and the French lost 5,000.  Pretty good ass whoopin' if you ask me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Budapest 1944.  Makes Stalingrad look like pregame warm up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Iwo Jima

www.iwojima.com/images/main_small.gif

Yep. I'll take Iwo.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#6]
North African Campaign 1941 to 1943
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, I've been chewing on this one for some time. I can't come up with a single battle so I'll say the Pacific island hopping campaign, Guadalcanal to Okinawa.  Although I'm not sure that Guadalcanal was technically part of that campaign.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
It's hard to narrow it down to one but I have to say the D-Day invasion simply because of the scale of such an operation.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The Brits vs the Spanish Armada

Greatest naval battle in the Age of Sail.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Saratoga,,,.www.saratoga.org/battle1777/
Asa well as the battles that lead to the formation of a GREAT  NATION
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I will be the first to bust out one from the B.C.

Thermopylae.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Battle of Seelow Heights, on the Eastern Front in WWII. Germans held up the Russian advance for a few days, all while outnumbered by a huge number.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thermopylae.

I'll admit, I'm not that well versed in ancient history.....what happened there?
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Verdun, or the Hindenberg Line.  My vote goes to Ieper as the best battlefield town though.  Those people know how to throw down.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thermopylae.

I'll admit, I'm not that well versed in ancient history.....what happened there?

About 500 spartans held off a horde of persians until they were surounded. They fought to the last man, and were said to have taken over 100 men for each lost.

Xerxes actually stopped sending wave after wave of men to their deaths, and fired upon them with archers to finish them off.

The leader of the men that day was named leonadas(sp?) and his message to his wife before making the stand, "marry a brave man."

Those were some bad mofos.

ETA: Thier stand was what made it possible for the greeks to regroup to the south, and fend off the persians.

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Battle of Seelow Heights, on the Eastern Front in WWII. Germans held up the Russian advance for a few days, all while outnumbered by a huge number.

Thats another of my favorites.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine has to be Chancellorsville 1863,  Lee and Jackson's masterpiece.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Custer's Last Stand.

I would love a computer sim that would allow you to change the small arms of Custer's troop without changing Custer's decision making. How much of an improvement in firepower would have been required to change the tide?
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Mine has to be Chancellorsville 1863,  Lee and Jackson's masterpiece.

That’s another great one.

Excellent choice.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Chancellorsville and Little Big Horn are right at the top of my list.  
D-Day
Gettysburg
The Bulge
San Jaun Hill

There are just too damn many.........but if I must

Hampton Roads, 1862
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I have always thought Hastings(sp?) was interesting.  It was pretty much Englands birth.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thermopylae.

About 500 spartans held off a horde of persians until they were surounded. They fought to the last man, and were said to have taken over 100 men for each lost.

Xerxes actually stopped sending wave after wave of men to their deaths, and fired upon them with archers to finish them off.

The leader of the men that day was named leonadas(sp?) and his message to his wife before making the stand, "marry a brave man."

Those were some bad mofos.

ETA: Thier stand was what made it possible for the greeks to regroup to the south, and fend off the persians.

300 Spartans. Two survived--one because of cowardice (he redeemed himself at Platea the following year) and one because he was sent home due to illness. They were under the command of King Leonidas, who is quoted as saying "Molon Labe" to Persian requests that they lay down their arms. It means "come and take them." The reason for the stand was probably not strictly to allow regrouping--the Persians did not continue the assault until the following year anyway, and were defeated at Platea. Likely the reason for the stand was to encourage the Greeks to stand and deliver rather than surrender. After all, if 300 Greeks give their lives at Thermopylae, what man would stand and say that he was not willing to bear arms against the Persians?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Custer's Last Stand.

I would love a computer sim that would allow you to change the small arms of Custer's troop without changing Custer's decision making. How much of an improvement in firepower would have been required to change the tide?

5,000 indians versus 150 or so whiteys? I think they would need a SAW and 1k rounds each.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Custer's Last Stand.

5,000 indians versus 150 or so whiteys? I think they would need a SAW and 1k rounds each.

Sounds like fun.  I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Custer's Last Stand would not rate high up on my list. Hell, it would not even make my list. One arrogant ass (Custer) takes a small force too deep into enemy held territory without any support and gets himself and his men annihilated.

It was not exactly a high point in generalship.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
www.sww.w.szu.pl/mapy/midway.jpg

Now thats a good one.

Midway would have to make anybody's list.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Custer's Last Stand.

Hell, if Custer had just brought in his Gatling guns he would have had a real good chance of winning. A waste of men and materials.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Gaugamela.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#30]
1950 A.D. Battle of the Chosin Reservoir
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.sww.w.szu.pl/mapy/midway.jpg

Now thats a good one.

Midway would have to make anybody's list.

That and Argincort would be mine...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Gettysburg has been a much studied battle for me, I have amassed a fairly large library dealing with it.  So much to gain and lose on both sides.  The height of tragedy and heroism.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Agincourt followed by Waterloo.  
Also, while this was not a single battle, I think GEN MacArthur's reconquest of the Southwestern Pacific was the work of a genius.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Rorkes Drift. A small group of British soldiers and local militia held off the Zulus who had just routed the main English army at Isandlwana. Amazing what proper tactics, dicipline and technology can do.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#35]
The american revolution.  -Todd
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#36]
More a war than a battle, but still smaller than some battles, like 'Kursk', but Falklands 1982.

Rest of the World (incl US) said it couldn't be done. British did it anyway.

A very important battle to note (particularly for countries used to winning) for academic purposes is the Egyptian crossing of the Suez in 1973. The Israelis were cocky and got their asses handed to them in what really was an incredibly successful operation, both the assault, and the defense against the counterattacks. It wasn't until the Egyptians royally screwed up several days later in the war by changing their strategic goals for political reasons that they gave the Israelis the opportunity which they then took.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll keep this thread alive,  Another of my favorites is the battle over hill 180, or bayonet hill during the Korean war.   Where Lewis Millet led the last great bayonet charge of the US army.  I think they killed 47 chinese, and of those, 30 were skewered by M1 bayonets.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Custer's Last Stand would not rate high up on my list. Hell, it would not even make my list. One arrogant ass (Custer) takes a small force too deep into enemy held territory without any support and gets himself and his men annihilated.

It is my favorite and that was the question.

It has held the attention of many, multiple movies, Twilight Zones, etc.

Take your war criminal, sterile von Manstein and go play dress up with Prince Harry. He fled and left his soldiers to die. What befell Manstein's abandoned soldiers makes the quick death suffered by the troopers of the 7th look positively merciful.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:22:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Cold Harbor.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Page two and no one has mentioned the big one! The batte to end all battles! The battle of Armageddon.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:15:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Rorkes Drift. A small group of British soldiers and local militia held off the Zulus who had just routed the main English army at Isandlwana. Amazing what proper tactics, dicipline and technology can do.

"It's a miracle sir!"

"If it is, it's a point four-five boxer henry cartridge miracle."

"And a bayonet sir!  Wiv some guts behind it!"

I'd like to also add to the favorites list the raid at Zeebrugge in 1918.  Sir Roger Keyes was the sort of nut I think we'd appreciate here.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Not listed in any order but here goes;
Grossdeutschland Regiment France 1940
2Nd Marine Raider Battalion Guadalcanal,Nov 1942
101 St Airborne Div Bastogne Dec 1944
1St Marine Div,Inchon Sept 1950
1St Cav Div Ia Drang Valley 1965
7Th Armoured Brigade The Golan Heights 1973
This one not really a battle but the Rhodesian Light Infantry,Counter Insurgency Operations 1979
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Another "oldie but goodie":   Hannibal vs the Romans at Cannae
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Gettysburg has been a much studied battle for me, I have amassed a fairly large library dealing with it.  So much to gain and lose on both sides.  The height of tragedy and heroism.

I can agree here.  Although I knd of look at the Gettysburg Campaign and the Vicksburg Campaign in tandem.  Between them they put the stamp of  finished on the Confederacy.  Took them 2 years to wrap it up, but it was all over at that point.

Midway was a real fluke, Pearl Harbor, in either case had the Japanes bored on in they would have come close to or knocked us out of the Pacific War for several years.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take your war criminal, sterile von Manstein and go play dress up with Prince Harry. He fled and left his soldiers to die. What befell Manstein's abandoned soldiers makes the quick death suffered by the troopers of the 7th look positively merciful.

You must be thinking of some other German Field Marshall. Von Manstein was no war criminal. In what battle did he "Abandone" soldiers under his command?

What does the "go play dress up with Prince Harry" comment mean?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Another "oldie but goodie":   Hannibal vs the Romans at Cannae

Good one. Some of those battles are about as classic as it gets.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be thinking for some other German Field Marshall. Von Manstein was no war criminal. In what battle did he "Abandone" soldiers under his command?

What does the "go play dress up with Prince Harry" comment mean?

He must mean Manstein's attempted relief of the 6th Army at Stalingrad.  And he didn't abandon Stalingrad, it was either withdraw or be destroyed........

Manstein in my opinion was the finest German field commander of the war.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Big +1 for Thermopylae. One of the most inspiring tales of courage I've ever heard.

As far as masterfull planning and whatnot, both Pearl Harbor and the raid on Cabanatuan are beautiful examples of how it should be done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top