Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
D-day, next to the birth of Jesus, it's the most important event in history.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Being a Texan, I'll have to include the ALAMO.  I know the Texans lost, but it was a great display of courage.

Don't forget the British paratroopers at Arnhem or the 101st Airborne at Bastogne!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Custer's Last Stand would not rate high up on my list. Hell, it would not even make my list. One arrogant ass (Custer) takes a small force too deep into enemy held territory without any support and gets himself and his men annihilated.

It was not exactly a high point in generalship.

It is my favorite and that was the question.

It has held the attention of many, multiple movies, Twilight Zones, etc.

Take your war criminal, sterile von Manstein and go play dress up with Prince Harry. He fled and left his soldiers to die. What befell Manstein's abandoned soldiers makes the quick death suffered by the troopers of the 7th look positively merciful.

You must be thinking for some other German Field Marshall. Von Manstein was no war criminal. In what battle did he "Abandone" soldiers under his command?

What does the "go play dress up with Prince Harry" comment mean?

He must mean Manstein's attempted relief of the 6th Army at Stalingrad.  And he didn't abandon Stalingrad, it was either withdraw or be destroyed........

Manstein in my opinion was the finest German field commander of the war.

I could not agree more.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top