Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2017 12:20:52 PM EDT
Just wondering from time to time I try to find more info on my Grandfather who served in WWI.
He died in the early fifties and just about everyone is gone that knew his story. My Mother is still alive at 88 but knows a little. Her Mother died when she was a baby and he gave her to her aunt and her husband to raise. He was widowed and a Police/Fireman at the same time.

He was 3rd Div. 7th infantry. He made it home. Was messed up from Mustard gas.  I have a picture and two framed paper documents. The rest was lost in a house fire.

More of his story told to me by my Dad. He was the only man left from his unit. He was gassed and burned bad. He couldnt see and his clothes were burning him. He stripped them off and was wondering around/passed out? Dont know. He woke up in a makeshift aid station.
He was able to see and didnt like being in with the dead and dying and stood up and walked out.
He no longer had any I.D. or uniform. He took boots and pants off of a dead soldier picked up a rifle and went back to the lines.
When it came time for him to ship home he had nothing proving who he was. He was listed as MIA.
The Mayor of his small town in TN had to personally vouch for him and take responsibility for him to the Army saying who he was to have him shipped home.

My Mothers half brother had more of his info and he died. I met him once.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if you are in Columbus.  I looked up my Grandfather at the Otterbein Library. Cant remember the book but I think it was about WW1 Ohio veterans.Not a lot of information.  He came in as a Private made it to Sergant then back to Private in a year.

He was also gassed and was rated as 80% disabled.  Died at least 25 years before I was born.  My Mother said he was mean and did things to others for fun.

I am not sure if that was related to the gassing and WW1 or not.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds similar to my Grandfather.  He was from TN. My grandmother died when my Mother was a baby. He gave her to her aunt to raise. He was a Police officer and a fireman at the same time.
My Mother was small and he would scare her to death (locked her in a cell). He also was known for firing his pistol in doors at the jail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top