Posted: 1/19/2017 7:41:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't see the pics
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If properly stored it could possibly be shootable although most likely corrosive. Alot of older European powders were/are double based, meaning it contains nitro-glycrine as well as nitro-cellulose. According to Frank Barnes "Cartridges of the World" this makes them somewhat more susceptible to decaying and becomng less stable. This in turn can yield pressure spikes above and beyond it's original design parameters. Pull a bullet from a case and smell it carefully. If it is sour or acrid smelling I would stay away from it. If it is, I would salvage the bullets and toss the rest, as some of the primer components MIGHT create issues with the structural integrity of the brass cases. (Fulminate of mercury in primers= brass and mercury don't play well together iirc)
Hundreds of millions of .303 British was loaded with Cordite brand powder (stick shaped). A web search will tell you if there any issues to give you pause about using it.
My comments are based on reading the aforementioned book probably 30 years ago so I might have mis-remembered some of the specifics. The web is a wonderful thing.

ETA: Well after looking at the pictures...... I have never seen pictures of cordite in anything but long strands. So the .303 might be ammo made in the colonies (India??) with short cut powder??? More research is required. Not surprised the Lebel ammo has cordite looking powder as well as the Brits and French WERE allies, so likely they shared some material over the years. The Krag loaded with spherical and or flake is easily possible as both those powders were in use at that time as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I can see the pics

Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool!  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Your captions are in reverse order relative to the order of the pictures.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Cordite!
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
You should post this in GD. It is really interesting. I had no idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top